shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Help/Advice on Fay Cullen ring/Alternatives

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

thatRaychGirl

Rough_Rock
I have been looking at engagement rings for a few months now as my boyfriend and I plan to get engaged in the spring of 2010. Since we are both in college at a private university, funds are very limited. I thought that I had found a great deal, and THE ring for me, at Fay Cullen.com for a ring setting that I adore with a decent quality diamond he could afford. However, after reading many threads on this forum concerning Fay Cullen ant their quality, I am now very unsure of my choice.

Is it worth the risk? Should we purchase the setting only and buy a diamond here near us? Are there any jewelers who have/can make a setting like this without costing a fortune? I''d really like to keep it under 3k, and the FC ring is only 2.85k.

here is the link to my dream ring:
http://www.faycullen.com/edwardian_engagement_rings/800/f531r3d.html

Please Help?

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
is 3k for just the setting only or both Setting and diamond?

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d contact knoxjewelers.biz. They would do a great job on a setting like this and the whole ring would probably be much cheaper. I''d look into whiteflash, briangavin, jamesallen, goodoldgold.com for a diamond.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would check out the beverley K line at pearlmans they can get you an ideal cut diamond as well.

I personally would not purchase from FC..

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/29/2009 6:07:43 PM
Author: mrssalvo
I would check out the beverley K line at pearlmans they can get you an ideal cut diamond as well.

I personally would not purchase from FC..
Ditto to both.
2.gif

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you looked at http://antiqueengagementrings.com/ yet? They have a lot of options at under 3k.

I noticed the Fay Cullen stone is an F color. Have you looked at rings already in person, and you know the stone must be at least an F? Or, do you like the Fay Cullen ring for the setting mostly, and the parameters of the stone are still to be determined?

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
I''d probably look into their return policy and if it''s good, go ahead and purchase that ring. Once you have your heart set on something it''s almost impossible to find something exactly like you imagine. I''d go ahead and just get the one that''s your dream ring. If it turned out to not be the quality you expect you could always return it and if they gave you any problems then your credit card company would back you up if needed. I''m sure it''d be fine though. While there have been some complaints on here about FC, the same could be said about the well known custom designer many people line up to use. Each persons dealings are different.

I think you''d go through a lot of energy, time and maybe even money trying to get that exact ring when it could be a dream that is easily accomplished. Good luck with what you decide and remember to post pictures :) which ever way you go.

thatRaychGirl

Rough_Rock
I have read from many posts and reviews that their return policy is horrid. And the 3k is for the stone as well as the setting. I believe just the setting, in white gold, is around 600. The setting is really what I''m in love with, the diamond just seemed like a decent fit since it (according to their site) is F, SI1, .48 ct.

Thanks for all the sites and links, I''m going to go surf those now actually :]

Does anyone have any reports on the quality of FC''s metal workmanship?

thatRaychGirl

Rough_Rock
Okay, so I checked out all those sites, and especially concerning the settings and custom jewelers, and that is way way out of our price range. Knox jewelers had gorgeous designs, but judging from the prices of their settings alone their is no way my boyfriend could get one of those and still afford a center stone for it. The other antique ring site had some reasonably priced settings, but none I liked as much as the FC one.

I''ve gotten myself into a pickle here.

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
this

and

this

I PROMISE you that you can find a similar look for much less/bigger stone with your budget. 3k is a very nice size budget, in fact, it was my budget as well. Also, you will get a PS discount from Pearlmans if you see any of the Bev. K settings that catch your eye.

What about the setting is the most important to you? Once you narrow that down, we can help you find a setting you like (or just get the FC one empty!) and then maximize your stone purchase. You could email Brian or Lesley from Brian Gavin Diamonds and tell them your budget, I am sure they could help also.

Good luck
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results