shape
carat
color
clarity

Need feedback on a 1.61 D VS2 signature-ideal Blue Nile diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

silverbuggy

Shiny_Rock
Hi, I was hoping to get some feedback on the following diamond from Blue Nile before I make (or don''t make) the plunge! The 4 factors in question are hearts & arrows, medium blue fluorescence, crystal inclusion under table, and HCA score.
http://www.bluenile.com/round-diamond-1-carat-signature-ideal-cut-d-color-vs2-clarity_LD01418170?__fun_frm=i&filter_id=0

$18,801
Carat: 1.61
Cut: Signature Ideal
Color: D
Clarity: VS2
Price per carat: $11,678
Depth %: 61.0%
Table %: 57%
Symmetry: Excellent
Polish: Excellent
Girdle: Thin to medium
Culet: None
Fluorescence: Medium blue
Measurements: 7.62 x 7.57 x 4.63 mm

The GIA and GCAL reports can be viewed from the link above.

Hearts & Arrows? :
From the zoomed-in GCAL report''s enlarged photomicrograph section, there are pictures of the top (crown) and bottom (pavilion). I can make out the 8 arrows and 8 hearts, though can''t tell if they''re perfectly symmetrical. Also, in the optical symmetry analysis section, you can clearly make out the 8 arrows which look very uniform and symmetrical. From talking to Blue Nile customer service and reading their website, they claim that all their signature ideal cuts exhibit hearts & arrows, but I''m not sure if hearts & arrows has a wide scale! Any thoughts?

Medium Blue Fluorescence:
I believe this diamond is slightly discounted because of the medium blue fluorescence. But I am told that medium blue shouldn''t make the diamond milky or hazy in any way. Under normal light conditions the fluorescence shouldn''t even be visible at all. However, I have seen pictures posted by others with medium blue fluorescence where the blue tint can be seen under strong direct or sun light in person and in photographs. I actually kind of like the look of that as long as it''s not seen in everyday normal light, nor in every flash photograph of the diamond. That way I can have the best of both worlds. What do people think? Should I not buy this diamond because of the medium blue fluorescence?

Crystal inclusion under table:
From the GIA report, you can see a crystal and maybe some other tiny inclusion under the table. Someone told me the crystal would probably be black. It looks glaring from the picture, but I am told that with VS2 clarity, it shouldn''t visible by the naked eye. Should I be worried at all?

HCA diamond cut analysis score:
I calculated the HCA score from the following website: https://www.pricescope.com/cutadviser.asp. I''d appreciate feedback on this too! Here''s the rating the diamond got:
Light Return = Excellent
Fire = Excellent
Scintillation = Very Good
Spread or diameter for weight = Very Good
Total Visual Performance = 1.2 - Excellent within TIC range

Thanks so much in advance!

round_100_lg_side_wire.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I cant make out the hearts clear enough either to say anything but they are there.
Face up optical symmetry looks excellent.
The leakage image on the gcal report looks good.

vs2 should be eyeclean.

overall looks like a real nice diamond.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Here''s another option. 1.74 F SI1

I think on PS you are going to find most people prefer to see photos, ASETS and be able to talk to the vendor who has the stone in hand. Blue Nile has a good return policy so there is time to get an appraisal.

silverbuggy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/22/2009 6:14:47 PM
Author: strmrdr
I cant make out the hearts clear enough either to say anything but they are there.

vs2 should be eyeclean.

Thanks strmrdr! Do you have any thoughts on the medium blue fluorescence?

silverbuggy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/22/2009 6:18:49 PM
Author: swingirl

I think on PS you are going to find most people prefer to see photos, ASETS and be able to talk to the vendor who has the stone in hand. Blue Nile has a good return policy so there is time to get an appraisal.
swingirl, I prefer VS2 or above for clarity and color D or E if possible, over the size. I looked on good old gold''s inventory but the ones that fit that criteria are kind of expensive. :|
You mentioned getting an appraisal...do people generally go to local places for that? Are there any well-known national chain stores that are good?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/22/2009 8:15:18 PM
Author: silverbuggy
Date: 2/22/2009 6:14:47 PM

Author: strmrdr

vs2 should be eyeclean.

Thanks strmrdr! Do you have any thoughts on the medium blue fluorescence?

not an issue one way or the other in my opinion

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/22/2009 8:16:45 PM
Author: silverbuggy
Date: 2/22/2009 6:18:49 PM

Author: swingirl

swingirl, I prefer VS2 or above for clarity and color D or E if possible, over the size. I looked on good old gold''s inventory but the ones that fit that criteria are kind of expensive. :|

You mentioned getting an appraisal...do people generally go to local places for that? Are there any well-known national chain stores that are good?

An independent appraiser is best if there is one available, you can also do it remotely.
Here is a list:
https://www.pricescope.com/appr_list.aspx

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The diamond looks promising, no issue with med blue fluorescence, you might not notice it anyway.

silverbuggy

Shiny_Rock
thanks for the headstart strmrdr! i emailed local appraisers from that link you posted...and then i also did a pricescope search and confirmed that a couple of them are more popular than others. now just waiting to hear back.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results