shape
carat
color
clarity

Need feedback from left handed women.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bedubyah

Rough_Rock
I have been searching for a setting for my GF, and I suddenly realized today an important factor to take into account. She is left handed! I think this may affect may choice of a setting, are there any leftys out there that can lend me a hand?

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
I''m left-handed...I don''t know what you''re looking for in terms of feedback...The only thing I can think of off-hand is that the center diamond may need to be set a little lower so to prevent accidental knocking...my original w-set, I had a higher-set marquise that I was always hitting into things. Now I wear my EC stone, but had it a little lower set and I don''tknow if I''m more conscious of it or what, but I don''t seem to hit it as much anymore...

What concerns do you have??

Bikergirl

Shiny_Rock
I''m left handed, as well. My solitaire is set pretty high. It was an issue at first (bumping into things) but doesn''t happen as often, now that I''m used to it being there. Just like anything, it will take a while to remember it''s there.

Like changing from a little convertible to an SUV - it seems like a big deal at first, but once you''re used to it there doesn''t seem to be a problem.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Another lefty here, and there''s really nothing special to consider. My diamond sits pretty high and since it''s a delicate setting, I''m just very conscious of how I fling my hands around. Whether you get her a low or high setting should depend on her preference for the look...not her handedness. Just make sure it''s pretty and sparkly. That''s the only special consideration in my book
9.gif

Luka

Rough_Rock
Lefty here too - this had never even crossed my mind. I''ve had no problems with my setting, it''s a halo set asscher and is slightly high but not too terribly much

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Im a lefty too, as well as completely insane....my one piece of advice is to buy something set in 6 prongs if you can and to set it low. I dont wear my stuff much because Im rough on my hands and a wacko too, but we use our left hand a lot more than most people would so its gotta be something to withstand abuse. Id avoid anything dainty.

NyssaLynne

Shiny_Rock
I''ve worn all types of styles, shapes, and setting heights without problem. Being left-handed we pretty much are used to accomodating for just about everything. Don''t let her handed-ness dictate your choice.

afrodyt2000

Rough_Rock
I''m left-handed also and I think we pay even more attn to our left hand so yes bumping may occur at first but generally I don''t think any specific designs should be ruled out.

bedubyah

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the responses, I just wanted to get some opinions.

I was originally going with a higher set prong setting but now I may be leaning towards a lower setting (possibly abezel or version of it). I have a few ideas but I can''t seem to get pics to post. How do I do this?

Also, I have heard that your ring finger on your dominent hand is usually bigger than the other, so in this case her ring finger on her left will be bigger than her right (other way around with right handed folks). I snuck one of her rings that she wears on her right hand and I think its a size 8 - so her left should be bigger?

I was also considering either a platnium or white gold setting - should I consider the weight of the platnium in her case, would a heavier ring bother her? The only reason I ask is that she is in an office position where she is either typing or writing most of the day.

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/12/2005 3:43:09 AM
Author: bedubyah
Also, I have heard that your ring finger on your dominent hand is usually bigger than the other, so in this case her ring finger on her left will be bigger than her right (other way around with right handed folks). I snuck one of her rings that she wears on her right hand and I think its a size 8 - so her left should be bigger?

Not always...I wear a perfect size 6 on both ring fingers (L & R)!! Even the jeweler who sized me thought this was odd, but when I pulled my e-ring off and put it on my right hand to show him it fit, he was impressed...many people will tell you to size her up before getting the ring just so she has the perfect fit when you slip it on her finger!!
2.gif

afrodyt2000

Rough_Rock

I was also considering either a platnium or white gold setting - should I consider the weight of the platnium in her case, would a heavier ring bother her? The only reason I ask is that she is in an office position where she is either typing or writing most of the day.

I actuslly like the weight of the platinum, you could get a thinner band if you like platinum but want a little less weight. I also type a lot (I'm in law school and type all my class notes).

NyssaLynne

Shiny_Rock

Don''t count on this rumor. I wear a size 8 on my right hand and only a size 7 on my left dominant hand. So I am the exact opposite of this suggestion.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I''m no help b/c I''m not a real lefty! I only use my left hand to write. Everything else I do right handed!

marriahlyn

Shiny_Rock
I am right handed but very very hard on my rings so I went with a fancier style bezel setting. I LOVE the fact that it''s low set.

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
another lefty here & I disprove the myth of your dominant hand having a larger ring finger- I''m a 7 on my left and a 7 3/4 or 8 on the right hand.

I do think that left-handers deserve larger diamonds, since they''re on display most of the time
3.gif
!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock

I was originally going with a higher set prong setting but now I may be leaning towards a lower setting (possibly abezel or version of it). I have a few ideas but I can''t seem to get pics to post. How do I do this?

I still definitely think your choice of ring setting (including height, bezel, blablabla) should be dictated by her preferences...not what you thnk might be more sensible to you. You may think a bezel or low setting is more convenient, but she may prefer the look of a high mounted stone. Just make sure you have an idea of what she likes. I know several people (including myself!) who have toyed with a bezel setting or low profile stone mounting only to find out they disliked it and went back to a higher setting. There are lots of people who love them however. Just make sure she''s one of them.

Second, I, like Nyssa Lynne, also am left handed but my left hand ring finger is SMALLER than my right hand ring finger. Don''t go by the "rule"...get an accurate ring size. If this is all a surprise, steal a ring of hers to be measured, but DON''T GUESS!!! I recall a thread recently where the guy purchased a size 7 ring and it turned out his fiance wears a size 5...this is such a big gap (and the mounting had diamonds all over it) that the ring needed to be REMADE...couldn''t easily be resized. I don''t mean to scare you, but I really think it''s important (esp. depending on the setting you choose) that you are very close in your approximation of her ring size. Hope this helps.

Diachi

Shiny_Rock
I''m left-handed
35.gif
and I am hard on my hands as well
36.gif

I looked for a low setting and ended up getting the D. Vatche Xprong...My 1.2 carat stone was set using the 1.0 carat setting and is higher than most Xprong setted-stones. I love the way it features the stone and makes it stand out but I was expecting a bit lower and was bummed to find out that I bump it on a lot of things and can''t do all of my normal activities in it (riding horses, showing dogs, etc.). My fiance offered to see if it could be set in the 1.5 xprong setting (lower) and I turned him down...I told him I would be SUPER careful with it and find a wedding band that had enough sparkle and bling to it but was set safely for me to wear during my athletics and just leave my ER at home
30.gif
. I am already starting my search, LOL!

KBerly

Brilliant_Rock
i am a lefty too and have had my ering for just a week. i have to feel for my ring with my thumb half the time because i forget it's there. it doesn't knock at all when i am writing. i have a solitaire setting, so i am sure this accounts for some of the reason why i don't feel it or why it doesn't bother me (just smooth platinum
9.gif
) while i am writing. it is actually a little higher than i wanted, but we had discussed this before with Mark Morrell and i agreed on the 6.5-7mm height which i LOVE now
1.gif

edit: i wear it to the gym but don't wear it playing softball because of the glove, other than that, it's worn all the time and never gets in the way.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results