Need Emergency Prong Repair - Boston, MA Area

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wishing you comfort and peace.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Everyone -- Thank you for all the kind words through this difficult time, I greatly appreciate them! Seriously mean this.

As far as DK goes, the ring is at home and has not been sent yet. I will request a label from DK to take advantage of more generous insurance coverage and (probably) cheaper shipping rates.

Since I got blind sided with everything I haven't really spoken to Amy or David to gain their perspective about the prong. I do know the fiancee and I discussed at great lengths and she just cannot recall any defining moment when it occurred. Her best friend seems to think maybe it was when they were getting luggage above their heads when in the Boston area (I always do that stuff when I'm around).

I am curious how they will propose to fix. If by chance they decide to melt and remake I may pay the upcharge to go platinum as I feel it's stronger.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DK told me he doesn’t send labels because Fedex insures, which I know is wrong. Unless I completely misunderstood something. I sent the emerald anyway and said it was prescription sunglasses lol. I figured that was $500 and I would eat the rest if something happened.

Has anyone else had DK send them a label (charge for it is ok too).

It’s the one thing that really bothered me in working with him.

Sledge, sorry to hear about your granny momma. Thaf’s hard. Hugs.

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
...I am curious how they will propose to fix. If by chance they decide to melt and remake I may pay the upcharge to go platinum as I feel it's stronger.
I think that would be a wise choice! I can't imagine what I could do to my HPD-made platinum rings that would bend a prong...but then again, I told them I was beastly and they made my rings sturdy, strong and low-set.

Sorry to hear about your losses, but I'm glad you were there to say your goodbyes.

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So sorry to hear about your grandmother's passing, @sledge!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@sledge my condolences on the loss of your grandmother. May she rest in peace.

Regarding your FI’s ring. DK should be able to send you an insured label, I do believe that sometimes they use UPS vs FedEx, but both companies are good.

In terms of the metal, platinum is not necessarily a “stronger metal”. Platinum is malleable, while white gold is usually brittle. If I recall correctly, the WG alloy that’s DK use for your mix is 14kt Palladium. The behaviour that your FI observed is exactly what I would expect from platinum at impact - a prong opening, not breaking. The 14ktPW alloy performed in the exact same way. I don’t think that the issue is the metal. In my view, the center stone should be set lower. The center stone is currently exposed to much risk and unless your FI is extremely careful in the future, I think that you might see similar issues regardless of the metal of the setting.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@sledge my condolences on the loss of your grandmother. May she rest in peace.

Regarding your FI’s ring. DK should be able to send you an insured label, I do believe that sometimes they use UPS vs FedEx, but both companies are good.

In terms of the metal, platinum is not necessarily a “stronger metal”. Platinum is malleable, while white gold is usually brittle. If I recall correctly, the WG alloy that’s DK use for your mix is 14kt Palladium. The behaviour that your FI observed is exactly what I would expect from platinum at impact - a prong opening, not breaking. The 14ktPW alloy performed in the exact same way. I don’t think that the issue is the metal. In my view, the center stone should be set lower. The center stone is currently exposed to much risk and unless your FI is extremely careful in the future, I think that you might see similar issues regardless of the metal of the setting.
I agree. We are worried about the height. The alternative if the height remains is to have thicker prongs.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the additional comments @whitewave, @SandyinAnaheim, @SimoneDi and @rockysalamander!

I am perfectly fine with FedEx or UPS. I just prefer FedEx myself but probably because I've used them considerably more over the years. On the times I've used UPS, things went well too. Even used DHL for some domestic and international shipments and they are okay but I much prefer the other two.

I will push DK for a label knowing I will get charged. If he does have the supplemental insurance that would be great as insurance through the carrier is expensive.

I should read my policy for this answer but also I would think the existing JM policy would cover the ring as well.

As far as the metal type goes, yes, we went with the 14k palladium alloy. It was mainly because she wanted shiny and what DK seemed to recommend. I personally preferred platinum for strength and no maintenance. The special alloy seemed to be the best of both worlds. It just made me question that whole decision again with the prong. I'm sure most you recall I struggled. Funny part is the fiancee and I was talking about going platinum this time if a remake was in the cards and she looked all confused and said I thought you did. I know I previously told her about the alloy, the shiny, etc but she just figured I did what I wanted for durability (and was genuinely okay with it).

As far as the height, I know it's a conversation we need to have. I've tip toed around it and presented in a manner so it could be HER idea but no dice thus far. As you all might recall, the height was a topic during design that came up quite a bit. She was rather insistent about that element when she saw the inspirational piece. I believe it goes back to the fact the height elevates the stone so in HER mind there is no halo effect. She does not like halo settings. Of course this is just my best guess as she can't explain why she likes it that high (I've asked).

I think she might be open to lowering a little but probably not to the standards everyone here would prefer. I'm game. I've been whacked with that thing a few times by mistake and it's like a paper cut. Trivial but stings a little.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@sledge I'm very sorry to hear about your loss, it's never easy. Focus on family as that is definitely most important right now.

I do agree that you should discuss stone height with her as that seems likely to be the issue over metal type. Especially since you've gotten whacked a few times with it, imagine all the whacking she's doing on inanimate objects that could potentially cause damage. There is a lot of space for anything to get caught in between the prongs and if it pulls, this could happen again. I know she loves this design so hopefully you could find a balance or urge her to be more aware/careful with her ring.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe JM covers your jewelry during shipping. Honestly I send my insured pieces via FedEx or priority USPS, don’t pay for added insurance, and don’t think twice.

In regards to the prong repair, DK shouldn’t have to remake the ring for that, I believe. Now if you decide to change metals or the design, that’s a different story, but prong repairs are fairly common.

Sorry to hear about your grandmother.

mrsgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Unless something has changed in the past few months, DK will send a label. He offers every time I send something to him, but I always just overnight via USPS. Am I playing with fire? Probably. But I haven’t been burned yet! :lol:

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am so sorry for you loss Sledge.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sorry to hear about your loss @sledge. While I wasn't really close to my dad's parents, my grandparents on my mom's side were also like second parents to me. I used to spend every summer with them in Nebraska up until I was 13 since my parents couldn't afford daycare. I just lost my grandma (mom's mom) last year, and it almost felt like losing a parent.

Just remember that she is at peace now. :)

Regarding the prong, I do think this may be an ideal time for the upgrade if you are going to send the ring back to DK anyway. Since the diamond is fairly secure now that you're fiancé bent the prong back, have you considered holding off sending it back for a month or two to see if a suitable upgrade stone comes into the BG inventory? There seems to be a lot of stock coming into the SuperIdeal vendors this time of year as they gear up for the Christmas/V-day rush, so it may be the most opportune time for an upgrade. :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So sorry for the loss of your dear grandmother, Sledge.

As far as the ring goes, they'll just put the prong back in proper position. The same thing happened to me once during the 25 years I wore my original e-ring (until I got an anniversary ring upgrade). I only had 4 prongs, but the other three had the stone properly seated and the stone held in place even with the one prong bent back. It was also white gold. But I have platinum now just because it is a more dense metal and will last basically forever. If someone really likes rhodium plating, platinum can also be plated.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results