shape
carat
color
clarity

Need diamond ring appraised but it's so small.....should I and where?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Bryang

Rough_Rock
My friend is in a bit of a financial bind and has given me her diamond ring to get an appraisal on......

I have two questions about this......

It is a very small round diamond set in a silver colored band...I'm wondering if a) it's worth getting appraised since it's so small and b) where I would go to get it appraised in the Queens New York area or Nassau County Long Island Area......

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Try to search for appraisers in your areas on these sites.

. He's on Long Island and may be will recommend you somebody there. [/u][/u][/u]

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If your friend is in a financial bind she does not need an appraisal that costs anything. Is the ring for sale? If so, then shop the buyers that are in every jewelry district in NYC and get their offer. They will not charge for this and you should not ask for an appraisal. Ask for an "offer" and tell them you are considering selling the ring. Many will ask how much you want. Tell them you really don't know, that you inherited it. After you get a few offers, suggest a price to those who ask that is high enough that it will be okay to sell it and not so high to make them tell you "no" before they look at the ring..

Bryang

Rough_Rock
thanks alot dave that is an excellent idea......but are you by any chance familiar with where I should start? What stores might be the best to visit that would give decent prices, if I need to sell quickly?

Thanks

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That depends a great deal on where you live. Many smaller towns don't have super buyers in them. Some pawn shops will not offer enough compared to big city competition, but I can't tell you they are all bad because they are not all the same.

Start by carefully examining the yellow pages. Look under jewelers retail, jewelry buyers, diamond buyers, appraisers. Someone must say they make offers.

You could send the ring to me for a no obligation bid, but likely as not you'd do just as well in most places when it comes to dealers who buy. NONE of us are going to pay "retail", I'm afraid. It is not easy, but maybe someone will treat you kindly and you'll feel they are being fair. That's about all you can ask for sometimes...

Best of luck in getting out and finding a reasonably fair buyer.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results