shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Diamond Opinion

djmarcox

Rough_Rock
I need to make a decision on this stone by tomorrow.. all input will be appreciated... TY

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally wouldn't buy a very good cut diamond that's si2.

Have you seen this stone in person?
How much is it

djmarcox

Rough_Rock
Niel|1458008043|4005403 said:

How much is it

Yes I did see it in person today and it looked nice.. It was 19000

Thank you

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, well, I will try to give you a very short description of why I wouldn't buy that diamond.

Cut is the most important factor in a diamond's beauty. GIA Excellent cut is what we would recommend, and even within that range, some stones are better than others. I will give you the measurements to look for below. The stone you linked probably has a lot of leakage making it have poorer light return than it could have. Yes, it is big. But I'd rather have an excellent cut 2 ct H VS2-SI1 any day over a 2.7 poorly cut stone with SI2 clarity.

I put that stone's measurements in a cut tool we have access to here called the HCA (linked below). Stones worth considering score 2.0 or less for the total score and have excellent for light return, etc. and perhaps very good for spread. This stone got a 6.0 (poor) and scores of good, poor, and fair for light return, fire, and scintillation. In other words, please do not buy this stone because it clearly is a poorly cut one!

These are measurements to help you stay in ideal cut territory with a GIA excellent cut stone.

table: 54-58

depth: 60-62.3

crown angle: 34-35.0

pavilion angle: 40.6-40.9 (sometimes 41.0 if the crown angle is close to 34)

Also, there is a screening tool for GIA ex cut stones:

https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca

You want to see Excellent on light return, fire, and scintillation, and very good on spread. An overall score of 2.0 or lower means a diamond is worth exploring further (but a 1.0 isn’t necessarily better than 1.9).

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
djmarcox|1458008133|4005404 said:
Niel|1458008043|4005403 said:

How much is it

Yes I did see it in person today and it looked nice.. It was 19000

Thank you
Until you see some nice well cut stones... :wink2:

djmarcox

Rough_Rock
Thank you guys so much. I will get back to looking. I almost fell for the size of the diamond. It was big lol. I'll keep looking. Thanks again. Appreciate all ur input!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results