shape
carat
color
clarity

need desperate help with diamond search

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lajones

Rough_Rock
I am looking for the best diamond ring I can find and I don''t know that much about them. I know I have no more than $30,000 (for ring and diamond) to spend and I want at least VS1, G and 2-2.4 carats (prob 2.2 or somthing). The ring I absolutely love is the Amorique solitaire from Birks: http://www.birks.com/index.asp?SKU=3000045280&SecID=64&CatID=712&LangID=1 and I love the look of Roberto Coin''s Cento soliataire ring: http://store.jrdunn.com/product-p/rc00cento1019jrd.htm Both of these rings are slightly out of my price range for a 2 carat diamond. I then contacted goodoldgold.com and they came up with a 2.02 carat, cushion cut, vs1, F which is roughly $25,000. They also sent me a picture of the setting ($2000) which was similar but I just love the one from birks.

I''m extremely nervous about buying something so important over the net, can anyone reassure me that this is okay? Could you also help me pose questions that can determine if this is an awesome diamond. I don''t know anything about proportions, depth, fire..... all that. Would I be better off buying something in a store? I''m in colorado so too far from goodoldgold''s store. Does anyone know if you can return these rings immediately if they are not to my standards?

If you have any suggestions on better diamonds or better places to look I would love to hear all your comments.

Thanks

pixley

Brilliant_Rock
Firstly, your budget is fantastic, and I think you'll be able to get the stone and ring that you want, without question. Birks is ridiculously overpriced (I live in Canada so I'm well aware of their markup!)

GOG has very high standards for their stones and they have a great track record with fancy shapes. That is a beautiful cushion - but it's a different style cushion than the Amorique. Is it the Amorique stone or setting that you like, or is it the Amorique stone and the Roberto Coin setting that you're after?

ETA - you can do a search on GOG here and you'll find countless happy customers, many of whom return to GOG for upgrades and new sparklies.

vf0valkyrie

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 10:45:32 PM
Author:lajones
I am looking for the best diamond ring I can find and I don''t know that much about them. I know I have no more than $30,000 (for ring and diamond) to spend and I want at least VS1, G and 2-2.4 carats (prob 2.2 or somthing). The ring I absolutely love is the Amorique solitaire from Birks: http://www.birks.com/index.asp?SKU=3000045280&SecID=64&CatID=712&LangID=1 and I love the look of Roberto Coin''s Cento soliataire ring: http://store.jrdunn.com/product-p/rc00cento1019jrd.htm Both of these rings are slightly out of my price range for a 2 carat diamond. I then contacted goodoldgold.com and they came up with a 2.02 carat, cushion cut, vs1, F which is roughly $25,000. They also sent me a picture of the setting ($2000) which was similar but I just love the one from birks.

I''m extremely nervous about buying something so important over the net, can anyone reassure me that this is okay? Could you also help me pose questions that can determine if this is an awesome diamond. I don''t know anything about proportions, depth, fire..... all that. Would I be better off buying something in a store? I''m in colorado so too far from goodoldgold''s store. Does anyone know if you can return these rings immediately if they are not to my standards?

If you have any suggestions on better diamonds or better places to look I would love to hear all your comments.

Thanks
Hi lajones,

Welcome to the PS community!

I do not know much about cushion cuts, so i''ll leave that one to the rest of the experts.
But i''ll take on the rest of your queries.

Put it this way, you''re not the first person to be buying diamonds over the internet, nor are you going to be the last.
Many have done it and have gotten their diamonds and are very happy with it.
For those who find that the diamond is still lacking somthing from what they are seeking, they have returned it to the vendor and get a full refund, paying only for the return postage.
Most, if not all, vendors have 14-30 day return policy, so you can make use of that.
I''m from Singapore and I bought my diamond which was shipped from Belgium to US and then to Singapore! So not to worry, especially if it''s a PS recognised vendor.

Questions you might want to ask are for idealscope pictures, ASET pictures etc and various info that can help you make a more informed choice. The videos from GOG are pretty informative as well.

Then ultimately, you might want to see the diamond with your own eyes before deciding if this is the one you want.

A few other vendors you might want to take a look at would be:

High Performance Diamonds
Whiteflash

Hope this helps!

vf0valkyrie

Rough_Rock
Oh and I forgot to add...

You can check with JR Dunn (?) if they do setting with a stone not purchased from them.
If they allow it, then you can get the diamond from somewhere else and get your dream setting too!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
GOG is really awesome, I have worked with them in the past and couldn''t be happier - the diamond they picked for you looks lovely.

I would ask Jon or Sarah to shoot you a vid, it will give you an idea what it looks like IRL which is handy when your buying from a distance ;-).

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like a very pretty cushion! GOG have an excellent rep here and you can purchase from them with every confidence.

lajones

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for all your help, I am definitely more reassured about buying online now.
I love the square shape and the Amorique setting and stone was very appealing to me, the Roberto Coin ring and stone was also appealing as a whole but I think I prefer square diamonds over round ones. Does anyone know what the difference between a cushion cut and the Amorique cut is? I''ve just been told it''s a modified cushion but that doesn''t really help much. Also, is it worth investing in a ceno diamond eventhough I seem to prefer the look of the square ones? Are they much better or just marked up because of the ''name brand''?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/11/2009 10:56:35 AM
Author: lajones
Thanks so much for all your help, I am definitely more reassured about buying online now.
I love the square shape and the Amorique setting and stone was very appealing to me, the Roberto Coin ring and stone was also appealing as a whole but I think I prefer square diamonds over round ones. Does anyone know what the difference between a cushion cut and the Amorique cut is? I''ve just been told it''s a modified cushion but that doesn''t really help much. Also, is it worth investing in a ceno diamond eventhough I seem to prefer the look of the square ones? Are they much better or just marked up because of the ''name brand''?
I don''t know much about the Amorique, probably carries a price premium if it is a branded cut - thats fine if it is what you want and you don''t mind paying extra for a branded cut, some do so willingly.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lorelie is right, you will pay a premiium for the branded cut. I have bought twice now from GOG and recommend them very highly.

lajones

Rough_Rock
How do these stats on a 2.02 carat, VS1, F diamond sound:
width: 7.02mm
Length: 7.08mm
Total Depth: 4.92mm
Table Size: 4.44mm 63.2%
Girdle: .28mm 4%
Crown Height: 1.06mm 15.1%
Table off center: 0.05mm
cutlet off center: 0.4%
Pavilion Angle: 39.5
Pavilion Depth: 3.60mm 51.3%

Is anything there not ideal or something I should definitely improve on? This diamond is selling for $22,158.00, is this a good price? Should I buy it?????

pixley

Brilliant_Rock
I think that's a stunning cushion. I love the faceting on it, and the crisp combination of an F/VS1 - and I rarely have such a positive reaction towards the 4 pavilion main style cushions as I personally prefer the antique-y 8-main cushions. Yours is captivating! The only possible sacrifice with that stone is a wee bit of spread due to the 70% depth, but I don't think I'd be inclined to fret over that with such a gorgeous stone. Most cushions we come across have depths in the mid-high 60s, but it's not a hard and fast rule. Your eyes should tell you which stone you like.

Regarding the Amorique cut, I can't really say what the exact facet pattern looks like, but you may want to check out this GOG stone. You may just want to see if Jon can do a video of the two stones and see if you like one style over the other. Between the two, I'd still prefer your first choice...

At any rate, you are far better off with GOG and will get a much better and bigger stone. I live in Canada and think Birks' markup is outrageous!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/11/2009 9:18:54 PM
Author: lajones
How do these stats on a 2.02 carat, VS1, F diamond sound:
width: 7.02mm
Length: 7.08mm
Total Depth: 4.92mm
Table Size: 4.44mm 63.2%
Girdle: .28mm 4%
Crown Height: 1.06mm 15.1%
Table off center: 0.05mm
cutlet off center: 0.4%
Pavilion Angle: 39.5
Pavilion Depth: 3.60mm 51.3%

Is anything there not ideal or something I should definitely improve on? This diamond is selling for $22,158.00, is this a good price? Should I buy it?????
Its a lovely diamond, we can''t recommend or tell you to buy it as that is overstepping our bounds as consumers concerning diamonds we don''t have actual knowledge of and expertise, we can only really make suggestions - if it appeals to you then put it on your list for purchase consideration. Cushions are tricky and as Pix says your eyes will be helpful!

lajones

Rough_Rock
Could you tell me what the difference is between the 4 pavilion main style cushions and the antique-y 8-main cushions???

pixley

Brilliant_Rock
This is a photo I saved from one of Rhino's posts. The stone you're considering is a 4 pavilion main cushion brilliant.
I can't tell what facet pattern is for the first stone in this photo, but the middle stone is an 8 pavilion main cushion brilliant ("modern style" as I call it, similar to a Daniel K. cushion) and the far right one is a more antique-y facet pattern, 8 pavilion main cushion, like mine or Boston_Jeff's). Jon has one on his website right now that is in your size range - it's really lovely, but it's not as square as the one you're considering:
http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/5415/

3goodoldgoldwinners.JPG

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
8 vs 4 main cushions ...

Beyond being able to say my cushion has 8 mains vs mine has 4 and being able to count them on GIA Report ... the amount of mains on the pavilion of a cushion speak absolutely nothing to its beauty, light performance and appearance.

Ie. You can have a 4 or 8 mained cushion with
a. A completely crushed ice appearance with a watery look in diffuse lighting and extremely weak fire albeit decent scintillation in spot lighting.
b. A modern brilliant cushion with extremely rare optics (ie. Square Cushion Hearts & Arrows are described as "Cushion Brilliants" and have 8 mains)!
c. A modern brilliant cushion, great light performance with a more traditional "cushion" appeararnce.
d. A chunky faceted antiquey look (can be great or bad depending on overall proportions).
e. Chunky high brightness/contrast and fire down the crown angles yet watery crushed ice under the table ...

In short you can cover the spectrum in appearances within cushion (and I''ve only covered the tip of the iceberg) and the amount of mains will have little bearing on "the look".

So much more than how many mains must be taken into account.

The length of the lower halves will determine antique vs more modern appearance and depth/table/crown angles/pavilion angles (ie. its proportions) will carry the greatest weight in determining its appearance, optics and beauty. Unfortunately these are features that are impossible to determine from a lab report and is why I always insist on live analysis and optical examinations. As an aside, I personally will not back a cushion with lifetime policies if its optics do not fall into what we know to be a rare category.

All the best,

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results