shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Design Help

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have 3 paraiba cabs that I haven't gotten around to setting because I need some inspiration (something you all do so well here, lol). I've decided to work with Yvonne on it as my next project but am really struggling on the setting design so would love your ideas/thoughts:

The stones are small and my fingers are a not (size 8)....and for me, finger coverage is a must. Hence, I've always thought of setting the larger stone E-W while Yvonne seems to think N-S might look better. On the flip side, I don't want the stones to get lost in the setting because they have such a beautiful glow/color.

The center stone is 6.41x4.37mm. The round side cabs are 3.5mm

IMG_20200323_212620.jpg IMG_20200323_212751.jpg

I tried surfing the net a bit for ideas and didn't find much. The closest I came across was this. Again, I was originally thinking of the center stone being E-W. Yvonne thinks it will look better N-S...but again I worry about finger coverage.

The flow of the setting is fine but I would want to modify it to be more of a CRD style and more substantial..no air spaces..solid gold with engraving...maybe a few diamonds sprinkled in. What would that look like? and should the center stone be N-W instead of E-W?

from search.png

Another thought I had would be something like CRD's Alice ring...but what changes would one make to the style to make it better suited for cabs and what should the top/bottom stones be?

alice_ring.jpg

Finally, some ideas Yvonne came up with on her own. At first, I wasn't crazy about it but I have to admit the one on the left is growing on me. Plus she's never disappointed me yet.

The halos would be moonstone cabs...I hesitated that they would be too muted for my (medium beige) skin tone...but I keep circling back to them as well...they would go well with the paraiba blues :) Any other suggestions for side stones (whether it's this setting or a different one?

yvonne ideas.jpg

moonstones.jpg

Looking for your thoughts/ideas- refinements on any of the above or something totally different. You guys are so talented on the design side which I am not. Thanks in advance for any input!

syd33

Shiny_Rock
Your stones are beautiful and I think the options you have already are beautiful. I also like your idea of E-W. Since you asked for other possible options - these are some I saw and liked.

s-l400.jpg
8ce4afe33c5b66bb842bff086ffc9ab3.jpg
174-127.jpg

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You paraiba are gorgeous and it’ll be nice to see them finally getting a setting of their own. I really like the desi CRD came up with. Particularly the one on the right, as that’s just more my style. Whatever you choose will look amazing!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love :love: the pairing of moonstones with your paraiba!
If your heart is leaning towards the center being e/w, can you ask Yvonne to do her mockup on the left, but shift the center stone to e/w?
Would snapping a picture with both layouts of the cabs perched on your ring finger assist any?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the first one @elle_71125 put together (no halo around the side cabs). Simply elegant and not too much.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This feedback and the visuals are so very helpful. I hate typing on my phone so can't reply to individual posts later. Here are on hand pics (great suggestion!).

IMG_20200327_124808.jpg IMG_20200327_124735.jpg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This feedback and the visuals are so very helpful. I hate typing on my phone so can't reply to individual posts later. Here are on hand pics (great suggestion!).

IMG_20200327_124808.jpg IMG_20200327_124735.jpg

I like the center stone NS better than EW, but that might just be a personal preference. I think I prefer it because it gives more visual contrast between the center and side stones. I would halo all 3 because I am insane, but @elle_71125 's mock up with a halo in the center is really nice if you don't want to halo all 3.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMO
Center stone n/s says ‘three stone’
Center stone e/w says ‘jeweled band’
No help- lol- just an observation.
as lovesdogs said - just personal preference.

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
IMHO, Width is one way to take up visual realestate but in this case I think you’ll actually get more visual coverage if you set the center NS. Your fingers are long and lovely and the NS accentuates that. I don‘t think you lose any coverage especially if you halo some or all.
But, this is very much a personal preference decision and I do think either would be lovely.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
THANK YOU! All of your posts really helped me sort out my thoughts and focus!

@syd33 Your first picture helped me visualize the first drawing from Yvonne I was considering

@Sunstorm @1ofakind @Rfisher @arkieb1
Thanks for pushing me towards N-S.. I think this quote sort of nailed it for me as I def want this to be a 3 stone.

IMO
Center stone n/s says ‘three stone’
Center stone e/w says ‘jeweled band’

@lovedogs and @leslie1956

Good to hear that others think moonstones are a good choice. Unfortunately, haloing all three stones will make it wider than I would find comfortable (even with my size -8- finger).

...and @elle_71125 .I'm have a hard time visualzing so your pictures really did the trick. I told Yvonne that I asked you guys for advice and sent her your mockup...she thought it was so cool that you did this. I had such difficulty envisioning this and you made it happen!! THANK YOU!

And like @chrono, the first one spoke to me! Limiting the moonstones to the top and bottom brought out what I was trying to convey from the Alice ring example (but couldn't convey).

A couple quick mock ups.

203481C6-DB8A-4F6E-8450-9D8B180BAE12.jpeg

I still have a finger coverage issue (my ideal is at least 15mm wide) but Yvonne thinks she can get it there by adding some beading around the bezel and have a d similar to my Byzantine ring below. Fingers crossed!

byzantine.jpg

Yvonne will be working on the design next week. Thanks to everyone for giving this project some direction!

voce

Ideal_Rock
@lilmosun so happy you've decided on a direction. So you're the owner of that ring on the 2020 CRD calendar! :)

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
THANK YOU! All of your posts really helped me sort out my thoughts and focus!

@syd33 Your first picture helped me visualize the first drawing from Yvonne I was considering

@Sunstorm @1ofakind @Rfisher @arkieb1
Thanks for pushing me towards N-S.. I think this quote sort of nailed it for me as I def want this to be a 3 stone.

@lovedogs and @leslie1956

Good to hear that others think moonstones are a good choice. Unfortunately, haloing all three stones will make it wider than I would find comfortable (even with my size -8- finger).

...and @elle_71125 .I'm have a hard time visualzing so your pictures really did the trick. I told Yvonne that I asked you guys for advice and sent her your mockup...she thought it was so cool that you did this. I had such difficulty envisioning this and you made it happen!! THANK YOU!

And like @chrono, the first one spoke to me! Limiting the moonstones to the top and bottom brought out what I was trying to convey from the Alice ring example (but couldn't convey).

I still have a finger coverage issue (my ideal is at least 15mm wide) but Yvonne thinks she can get it there by adding some beading around the bezel and have a d similar to my Byzantine ring below. Fingers crossed!

byzantine.jpg

Yvonne will be working on the design next week. Thanks to everyone for giving this project some direction!

I’m terrible at visualizing too so I’m glad I could help.

wordie89

Brilliant_Rock
Just want to chime in that Rfisher made a good point! Also, I thought I'd prefer
e w as one of my rings is set that way. However, Lilmosun does have slender fingers and the ns looks good! Looking forward to the process!

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m terrible at visualizing too so I’m glad I could help.

Thank you for taking the time to do this for me!

@lilmosun so happy you've decided on a direction. So you're the owner of that ring on the 2020 CRD calendar! :)

Yes, I own the emerald Byzantine ring! Yvonne mentioned she was going to make one for her shop and I couldn't resist. (btw-I LOVE your Clarissa ring! I've been eyeing the one in her shop for a long time).

Just want to chime in that Rfisher made a good point! Also, I thought I'd prefer
e w as one of my rings is set that way. However, Lilmosun does have slender fingers and the ns looks good! Looking forward to the process!

Long nails and fingers create an illusion. My fingers aren't slender at all (size -8-); hence my conundrum. Hopefully Yvonne and Brandy can figure a nice way to give it more width. Can you share a picture of your 3 stone?

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ring is completed!! Thanks for the much needed guidance provided here, I am thrilled with the result. I won't receive it for a couple of weeks, so here are a couple of photos from Yvonne.

paraiba cab ring frong.jpg
paraiba cab ring angle.jpg
paraiba cab ring hand.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Woohoo! I love the result. What a stunning ring

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:love:
Love it!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Can't wait for some hand shots! The color combo is just killer.

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
@lilmosun Beautiful, I bet you can't wait for it to arrive! :kiss2:

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
Yay what a pretty ring! How exciting!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omg its lovely! So ethereal!

leslie1956

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Perfect color and design, it's beautiful!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results