shape
carat
color
clarity

Need channel set anniversay/wedding band advice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dantes67

Rough_Rock
New to Pricescope but feel I've gotten an incredible education & valuable direction in just the couple of weeks I've been lurking.

Looking to replace my wife's plain white gold wedding band with a white gold channel set band with round diamonds. Approx. .75 ctw. and at least a 3 mm band. Unfortunately my budget is in the neighborhood of $1,500. I've narrowed it down to the following:

1) Facets/SP has a .75 ctw ideal/premium cut 9-stone F-G/VVS-VS round channel set band in white gold for $1,500. I've read a ton of good things about SP on Pricescope. I like the 30-day return policy. Not impressed, though, with the gentleman I spoke with on the phone.

2) Zavius - a reputable local jeweler here in Rockford - has a pretty .75 ctw 10-stone F/VS2 for $1,300. Unfortunately they could not really tell me much about the quality of the cut. It looked nice to me but then I've never seen a SP or WF melee band in person.

3) Celina at WF has been extremely helpful as I've tried to work out exactly what I want. It doesn't sound like they can do a comparable ring for even close to the same price, though (which actually surprised me a bit). Celina said WF could do a .75 ctw with more stones but they would be 4-pt. stones as opposed what I'm assuming are 7-7.5 pt. stones in the two rings mentioned above. I think the 4 pointers would be too small.

If the WF ring included their money-back guarantee I would probably take a chance because I'd definitely like to see the difference the ACA stones make. But since it would have to be be a custom-made ring, no returns (which I understand). I can't really take that chance.

I'm leaning towards the SP ring at this point because I'm betting that the cut of their stones will be superior to those in the local jewelers ring. If I'm wrong, I have SP's 30-day guarantee to fall back upon. Is there a big difference between the SP ideal/premium cut melee and the WF ACA melee?

Is there anything I'm overlooking or incorrect on? I'd really appreciate any ideas any of you might have. Most of you seem to be very knowledgeable and savvy when it comes to these types of questions. Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas, all !

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
if you can, try to get one where the diamonds go all the way around. i recently bought myself the "regular" channel anniversary band, dang thing spins like crazy and the diamonds end up on the palm side.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Although I have not purchased from them myself (yet), Facets has a good reputation on this website. As I understand it they use ideal or premium cut diamonds and they do have an excellent 30 day return policy, so if it were me I would go that direction. You could try calling again to see if you get a different person to speak with.

Jewels

Shiny_Rock
I will say go with SP. I purchased over 10k from them last month on a Tiffany ring and a Tiffany band. I am very happy with their products and service, the rings are like brand new, just as advertised. Give them another chance and tell them that you are a Pricescope member.

FYI - SP currently have a Tiffany channel set 11 stone band in platinum. It's going for $1,140. It's only 0.27 tcw but just thought I'll mention that.

They have a great return policy, you really can't go wrong.

Good luck with your search and keep us posted.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
I purchased my wedding band (eternity band with rounds and baguettes channel set) from SP and have nothing but great things to say about them. Like you said, you can search here on PS and read tons of reviews of SP. FYI, if you are ever going to be in the NYC area, you can go to SP''s booth and actually try on tons of their rings.

I''m sorry your experience with them wasn''t the best on the phone, but they really have fantastic products and you can''t beat their return policy!

dantes67

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies.

In fairness to SP, the gentleman to whom I spoke wan''t rude or unprofessional. Just somewhat disinterested - which I suppose could have been distraction since things are craziest for them at this time of the year. After years of working in retail, I know it''s not fair to judge a store/business based on just one bad experience. Everyone has their days when they''re not at the top of their game.

Any opinions on how big a difference there is between 4 pointers and 7 pointers? I''m very much a novice when it comes to all of this.

Thanks again!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer 3-4 pts for under a carat (or so) and 5-6 pts (or smaller) for >1 ct center stone for eternity style or look. If 5/7 stone WB, larger is ok. But that is my taste, only (which is probably thin+, not very thin.)

Since this is channel set, I would say the overall width of ring is more important than the individual stone size.

One more thought: after having a set for awhile, the owner becomes very accustomed to the look. If she is happy with the set, I would just match the width of the new ring to her old WB.

Mokey

Shiny_Rock
This is a chart I got for reference:
.005pt=1.0mm
.01pts=1.3mm
.02pts=1.7mm
.03pts=2.0mm
.04pts=2.2mm
.05pts=2.4mm
.06pts=2.5mm
.07pts=2.7mm
.08pts=2.8mm
.09pts=2.9mm
.10pts=3.0mm

Hope that helps

dantes67

Rough_Rock
Thanks, Mokey. That chart does help.

And thank you, JulieN. Your thought about going with a band of similar width to what she has now is a good one.

dantes67

Rough_Rock
Just got off the phone with Celina from Whiteflash. We were able to work something out to fit in my budget. Instead of a 10-stone channel set (7 pointers) I decided to go with an 11-stone channel set with 6 pointers. I don''t think my untrained eye willl be able to discern the size difference between the stones (2.5 mm vs. 2.7 mm) and it will have an extra stone. I''m hoping the ACA melee will make the stones appear a bit bigger.

I have to say I''m still slightly nervous by going with a custom ring (no returns) not having seen it in person first but I''ve heard so many great things (along with a few not so good) about WF on Pricescope that I''m trusting your collective opinion.

I guess I''ll join the ranks of those who nervously await the day they can open the box and see if the end result matches or exceeds the anticipated/desired result.

No need to be nervous, though, right?

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Congrats on deciding!
36.gif
I''m sure the WF final product will beat all your expectations! They are great
1.gif

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
It sounds lovely and you don''t need to worry about Whiteflash. They will exceed your expectations!

plg_cp

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/11/2006 3:58:46 PM
Author: dantes67
... I decided to go with an 11-stone channel set with 6 pointers....

Hi Dantes,
WF is in the process of creating the exact same piece for my FI at the moment - 11-stone channel set 6-pointers.

Here is the wax they sent me today. It may help you visualize. Keep in mind that I believe the finished product will be less "bulky" once it's filed and polished.

When we were designing it, we asked for a 3.5mm total width and for them to put whatever size melee is needed. They said 6 pts.

Mark

ETA: the ring is size 5.5

ML_1207ps.jpg

dantes67

Rough_Rock
Wow, thanks, Mark! That''s awesome. We actually discussed skipping the part of the process where they send me a photo of the wax mock-up for my approval so that I can be sure to get the ring by Christmas. Being able to see this is a big help.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results