shape
carat
color
clarity

Need assistance on a potential loose diamond purchase

moflare

Rough_Rock
I wanted to get your views on the following diamond or any suitable alternatives.
Thinking I would prefer a F VS2 with faint fluorescence than a G VS2 with no florescence.

http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?pag...&c=Page&cid=1355954554547&reportno=1189508132

Carat Weight
1.01 carat

Color Grade
G

Clarity Grade
VS2

Cut Grade
Excellent

Measurements
6.42 - 6.45 x 3.97 mm

Depth
61.6 %

Table
56 %

Crown Angle
35.5°

Crown Height
15.5%

Pavilion Angle
40.6°

Pavilion Depth
43.0%

Star Length
50%

Lower Half
80%

Girdle
Medium to Slightly Thick, Faceted, 3.0%

Culet
None

HCA

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
No need for higher color. G and F when set will be indistinguishable.

Stones.proportions look.nice. Can you get an IS?

moflare

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your help, unlikely to be able to get an IS buy will try.

moflare

Rough_Rock
Going with this diamond, only thing is the GIA reports 1.01 but the diamond weighed only 1.00 carats on the machine.

Is this a cause for concern? The GIA number matches on the girdle.

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
For any diamond with an inscription from the lab:

Not a concern if the inscription matches. Slightest variances from calibration of the scale to detritus can make the thousandths of a carat difference which could cause the weight to be rounded one way or the other.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
moflare|1450967155|3965737 said:
Going with this diamond, only thing is the GIA reports 1.01 but the diamond weighed only 1.00 carats on the machine.

Is this a cause for concern? The GIA number matches on the girdle.

The diamond should be carefully matched up to the measurements and stone plot on the report, in addition to the inscription.

It is most likely calibration variance, as Diamond Hawk suggests, between the official weight at the lab and the one that weighs a point less.

moflare

Rough_Rock
Thanks diamond hawk and Texas leaguer.

Much appreciated!

moflare

Rough_Rock
One last question, what are thoughts on the inclusions? Is the large cloud on one facet a cause for concern.

I found the inclusions difficult to find properly using a loupe. Perhaps there were more visible from underneath.

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
moflare|1451203888|3966690 said:
One last question, what are thoughts on the inclusions? Is the large cloud on one facet a cause for concern.

I found the inclusions difficult to find properly using a loupe. Perhaps there were more visible from underneath.

Hi moflare - - Inclusions in VS+ grades usually look a lot worse on the report plot than they do in real life - I would suggest that if you struggled to find the inclusions with a loupe (even knowing where they are located by comparing with the plot)...I'd say it's probably fine. And as far as the inclusions being more visible from underneath...unless you're planning to set the stone upside down...don't worry about it :lol:
Diamond graders don't grade from the bottom - they may have a quick look to check the position of an inclusion, but if it's not seen from top down it doesn't count towards the clarity grade.
Hope this helps

moflare

Rough_Rock
Thanks ADN!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results