shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Appraiser and Appraisal procedure recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chicago1234

Rough_Rock
I have been a long-time lurker, but finally registered. I am getting prepared to purchase an engagement ring for my girlfriend. I''ve really fallen in love with a setting from James Allen and the prices of James Allen. But I''m a touch nervous. Can''t help it. You read one bad review out there -- possibly by an uninformed customer -- and you start to question what you are thinking. So I''m thinking quite strongly of getting an independent appraisal.

Let''s assume for a moment that whomever I choose is of good quality. I am mainly interested in someone who 1) can validate that the diamond I thought I bought is what I got, 2) that all the specs and ratings I was told applied to the diamond are correct/fair, and 3) a fair appraisal (replacement and a sense that I didn''t get ripped off on my price).

So here are some questions:

1) Would people recommend going with a local appraiser (for me, Chicago or San Jose)? Or going with a distant independent appraiser? If local, any recs on people in my area? If distant, any recs? How exactly does that process work if I can''t be there in person with the appraiser?

2) would you recommend getting the diamond checked before it is set and after? I need to check with james allen, but does anyone have experience with them shipping a diamond to an appraiser, etc.

3) What should I expect in terms of cost? What tests/etc. make sense given my purposes mentioned above?

Many thanks in advance!

raz91

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/4/2009 6:08:31 PM

1) Would people recommend going with a local appraiser (for me, Chicago or San Jose)? Or going with a distant independent appraiser? If local, any recs on people in my area? If distant, any recs? How exactly does that process work if I can''t be there in person with the appraiser?

2) would you recommend getting the diamond checked before it is set and after? I need to check with james allen, but does anyone have experience with them shipping a diamond to an appraiser, etc.

3) What should I expect in terms of cost? What tests/etc. make sense given my purposes mentioned above?

Many thanks in advance!

1. I used a local appraiser that I found via the PS appraiser search.
2. Depends on your comfort level. In order to do a quality grading the diamond needs to be evaluated before it is set. At the same time, it sort of doesn''t matter because the appraiser isn''t going to change your GIA/AGS cert. The important thing is to make sure the diamond in question matches the cert. A good appraiser should be able to do this after it is mounted. But if you are curious and/or paranoid, you can go twice. It just costs a little more.
3. I think $70 - $100 is typical.

I would say that JA is very reputable (I bought from them). Also, with regards to your rationale that the spec etc for the diamond are correct/fair, the appraiser isn''t going to be able to do very much. The GIA/AGS cert is going to be king. Even if the appraiser says "I would rate this a VS2" and GIA rates it an SI1, it doesn''t make any difference.

asforhim

Rough_Rock
I''ve heard good things about Kurt Teeters in Chicago. I have not personally used him, but he has a good rep. He will validate the diamond and give a valuation report.

LINK: http://www.alliedgemappraisers.com/

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results