shape
carat
color
clarity

NEED ANSWER ASAP --> Bursztyn

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Buena Girl

Brilliant_Rock
My friend is currently in Poland and just messaged me a question. This is her last day and she is picking up little presents to bring back. There is a natural stone found in Poland called Bursztyn. Is that just another word for Amber? Does anyone know if it would be cost effective to purchase it there, or would it essentially cost the same to purchase it in the US? She was thinking of purchasing a pendant or ring.
Thanks!!

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/15/2005 1:33:24 PM
Author:Buena Girl
There is a natural stone found in Poland called Bursztyn. Is that just another word for Amber? Does anyone know if it would be cost effective to purchase it there, or would it essentially cost the same to purchase it in the US? She was thinking of purchasing a pendant or ring.

Yes, Bursztyn is the Polish name for amber. Amber is found widely throughout the entire Baltic region and Polish amber jewelry creations are famous. Amber isn''t technically a stone: it''s fossilized organic tree resin.

As for whether it''s more cost effective to buy in Poland than in the U.S. I can''t say. If your friend is paying in Euros it''s possible the Euro''s heightened value currently compared to the dollar might be a factor. If I were a tourist there I''d probably buy amber souvenirs if the prices seemed reasonable.

Richard M.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Does anyone know if it would be cost effective to purchase it there, or would it essentially cost the same to purchase it in the US?
I can't say exactly what the prices would be everywhere, but chances are high quality would be more available in the US or UK or... wherever the most demand is than in Poland where (some of) the amber comes from. Tourist shops are rather likely to sell artificial material in nice designs and at attractive prices right in the same display as the amber pieces. The one thing that may be easier to find locally are carvings or pieces that involve not just good material but also a fair amount of hand work either on the stone or metal. For example, I would not expect the settings used for amber to be as nice elsewhere because of the labor cost. However, Poland is no longer a 'low cost' place for anything - relatively.

Just an idea - to look for a good price on silverwork rather than the amber itself.

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
She was thinking of purchasing a pendant or ring.

There''s an on-line Polish amber resource Here concerning some highly regarded polish amber artisans. It might be a good idea for your friend to look for merchandise carrying the certificate of the Amber Association of Poland to protect against amber simulants, etc. Check out this couple''s catalog.

Richard M.

Buena Girl

Brilliant_Rock
THANKS!!!
35.gif

I passed along the info!

Cave Keeper

Shiny_Rock
Advise her to buy those with insects or flowers in them as these are more valuable. And probably of more archaeological and scientific value.

Translucent

Rough_Rock
Yes, "bursztyn" is" amber" in Polish. Watch out for compressed amber which is a bunch of little pieces made into a big one.
If buying an expensive piece with some bug in it, make sure the vendor is reputable as there are ways to fake this.
Do not buy geen amber as most of it is dyed or synthetic resin.

All this said, Poland is still an excellent place to buy amber. I have bought many wonderful pieces there.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/15/2005 5:26:55 PM
Author: Richard M.

There''s an on-line Polish amber resource Here concerning some highly regarded polish amber artisans.
Wow! Love it! Thanks for the hint...

21.jpg

mcmaster

Rough_Rock
Great link to the amber artisans. What I love about amber in Poland is that you can find such a wide range of amber jewelry designs. Simply a greater amount of contemporary, stylish designs in amber than are available here locally - many of which tend towards that "tribal" look. I would be wary of going with the attitude of getting rock-bottom bargains though, as I have heard of resin reproductions. Personally, I think the idea of amber which contained an insect, would appeal to a number of collectors. If I was thinking of getting such an object not just for decorative purposes but for an authentic "time capsule" - I myself would like to be sure it was an old piece and an old insect. Not a modern insect artificially suspended in amber that had been melted and reset. That is just my personal opinion though, and I am certainly no expert. I hope your friend enjoys her new "bursztyn".

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results