shape
carat
color
clarity

Need an opinion on this GIA Oval H Diamond

ilovenailpolish

Rough_Rock
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/2.01-carat-h-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-698872

I have been a long time reader of PS. I now am finally picking a diamond for myself. The ring photos are above. I really found all the dimensions perfect and selected H color to get it to a 2.01 size. I wanted to ask everyone's input about the strong blue fluorescence which made me hesistant as I'm not that familiar with milky cloudy oily looks. What do you all think?

SHAPE: Oval
CARAT WEIGHT: 2.01
COLOR: H
CLARITY: VVS2
POLISH: Excellent
SYMMETRY: Very Good
FLUORESCENCE: Strong
L/W/D (MM): 9.99*7.24*4.46
L/W RATIO: 1.38
DEPTH %: 61.60
GIRDLE: Thin - Slightly Thick
TABLE %: 60.00
CULET: None
CERTIFICATE: GIA
CROWN ∠: 35.54
CROWN %: 15.01
PAVILION ∠: 39.92
PAVILION %: 42.76

ilovenailpolish

Rough_Rock
Also I'm not even sure what to look for if its even cloudy or milky because as I looked through the forums it's hard to really tell if I have to worry about that with this diamond.

I appreciate any feedback!! I'm really nervous about this first purchase.

Lizzy

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like the look of this oval.
1. Pick 2 other ovals that you think look good.
2. Ask JA to provide the ASET image for the other 2 ovals and this one.
3. Ask JA for their opinion of all 3 ovals, and this is where you also ask about the SB fluoro. It is rare for it to be hazy.

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock
Well, hopefully Niel or one of the other really good pickers will post, but, I think that your oval is beautiful. There really is not much of a bowtie and the facets seem to be pretty evenly sized/dispersed, so the H color seems even and, I guess that is what makes me like it- oh- the crown is pretty, too. I think it is lovely.

Definitely ask the gemologist to tell you is there is any milkiness or haziness or ill effects due to the fluorescence, they will tell you.

What a knockout! Do you have a setting chosen? I think ovals are the most flattering, feminine shape on the hand.

yay- Chrono posted! I started my post before anyone else had replied.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1446119030|3943347 said:
I really like the look of this oval.
1. Pick 2 other ovals that you think look good.
2. Ask JA to provide the ASET image for the other 2 ovals and this one.
3. Ask JA for their opinion of all 3 ovals, and this is where you also ask about the SB fluoro. It is rare for it to be hazy.

Ditto...just remember aset ovals arent pretty.

ilovenailpolish

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for your feedback!!i will definitely ask for the aset although the diamond is out of country. : :wavey: :angel: . If anyone has their 2 cents on ovals or my link above to my selected diamond let me know.

I am getting this setting, the falling edge pave diamond setting

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/halo/14k-white-gold-falling-edge-pave-diamond-engagement-ring-item-49492

They said they would have to make a new wax modeling due to its size and shape so it will take longer to create. Any opinions on JA setting quality? I was a little confused if the setting says they use 52 diamonds wouldn't that number differ on a .5 carat center ring vs a 2 carat center? I would think they'd need more tiny diamonds to cover the surface area of a larger center carat ring.

If I hate it then I'll get a setting with no halo and keep it plain

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ilovenailpolish|1446140505|3943487 said:
Thank you so much for your feedback!!i will definitely ask for the aset although the diamond is out of country. : :wavey: :angel: . If anyone has their 2 cents on ovals or my link above to my selected diamond let me know.

I am getting this setting, the falling edge pave diamond setting

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/halo/14k-white-gold-falling-edge-pave-diamond-engagement-ring-item-49492

They said they would have to make a new wax modeling due to its size and shape so it will take longer to create. Any opinions on JA setting quality? I was a little confused if the setting says they use 52 diamonds wouldn't that number differ on a .5 carat center ring vs a 2 carat center? I would think they'd need more tiny diamonds to cover the surface area of a larger center carat ring.

If I hate it then I'll get a setting with no halo and keep it plain

I personally don't have experience with this setting, but someone very recently was very disappointed with the way this setting came out. She bought a cushion but they also had to make hers to fit the stone. Here's the thread so you could make an informed decision: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/need-cushion-help-please.216346/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/need-cushion-help-please.216346/[/URL]

ilovenailpolish

Rough_Rock
Thanks for that link. It's very useful and does make me worried but I'll see how it looks after they create it and show photos to everyone here. I am a bit optimistic being that they have full returns available. I would think they would not want to lose out on my purchase of the diamond and setting by doing shoddy work. I really haven't seen anyone else other than the post you linked post about this setting or have photos.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a very low price for a pave halo setting, so you really can't expect a lot. High quality halo settings will usually be in the $3-5k range, but I think Ritani makes some nice ones a little less expensive.

I think your oval looks great so far, but I would do as Chrono suggested and choose the best three and get ASETs on all three. Post them here because I sometimes don't agree with their comments. I doubt there is a problem with the fluorescence especially since that is a high clarity stone. I had a G VS1 with strong blue and it was no problem at all. I really like fluorescence.

ilovenailpolish

Rough_Rock
What makes a halo high quality to pay 3-5k if I'm looking for something 14kwhite gold? Is it what I'm reading about regarding forging versus these wax model pour designs?

Does this mean it could fall apart?

ilovenailpolish

Rough_Rock
I just asked James Allen for an ASET for this ring and they responded with this:

My name is Proscovia, a diamond and Jewelry consultant at James Allen.I received your request for ASET image for your diamond. I am very pleased to assist you.

[my named removed], the diamond you selected is not available for any additional services since its from one of our diamond vendors outside USA. Please contact us if you have any questions or concerns. We are also available 24/7 for your convenience.

Thank you for choosing James Allen and have a good one

Is this an acceptable response with diamonds abroad? I paid for the diamond so I don't understand why. I am really not the most knowledgable about diamond purchasing.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some of their diamonds are at cutting facilities in places such as India, and apparently some of them do not have the ability to do ASET images. So if you have paid for the stone already, I guess you'll have to have it sent to you to see how you like it. It is hard to compare ovals without an ASET. In general, they will not be nearly as brilliant as an excellent cut round.

I'd actually try telling them that once it arrives in their offices in NY, you want ASET images before they send the stone to you.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ilovenailpolish|1446171485|3943693 said:
What makes a halo high quality to pay 3-5k if I'm looking for something 14kwhite gold? Is it what I'm reading about regarding forging versus these wax model pour designs?

Does this mean it could fall apart?

Handforged by a pave master is the highest quality and most expensive (almost always platinum). There is a range down from there, and yes, cast settings are normally less. Quality issues may be seen in the setting of the pave stones, and issues may arise with stones falling out. Just be sure you have a local jeweler who can add stones if you lose any.

If I wanted a low priced halo, I'd personally go with this one from Ritani:

https://www.ritani.com/engagement-rings/french-set-halo-diamond-band-engagement-ring-in-14kt-white-gold/12184

ilovenailpolish

Rough_Rock
Thanks diamondseeker. That's very helpful in what the quality differences are. :angel:

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1446216617|3943801 said:
Some of their diamonds are at cutting facilities in places such as India, and apparently some of them do not have the ability to do ASET images. So if you have paid for the stone already, I guess you'll have to have it sent to you to see how you like it. It is hard to compare ovals without an ASET. In general, they will not be nearly as brilliant as an excellent cut round.

I'd actually try telling them that once it arrives in their offices in NY, you want ASET images before they send the stone to you.

Great advice! It's worth a try! :wavey:

ilovenailpolish

Rough_Rock
The first 2 photos are taken under the sun. It actually glittered other colors too but I picked the shimmer blue because it sort of looked neat. :angel: The 3rd is of the underside of the setting. And the last photo is of the ring straight on inside the house. There is like no bow tie which I love. Under the sun, it's really shiny which I feel like the photos I take off my cell phone can't capture the glitter. I think I see the blue fluorescence maybe but can't tell. The GIA certificate notes strong blue fluorescence.

This to me is fairly similar in how delicate it is compared to when I went to go try on the Harry Winston halo except for the underside and the lack of the eagle claw prongs. I know HW is of another price point and maker but I feel like it really reminds me of that ring as I tried this one on.

What do you guys think? Should I take the ring to an independent appraiser or is the JA appraisal sufficient? Should I take more pics?

Also James Allen added this specific ring in the Oval setting photos for the Falling Edge setting in the oval category now . So you can see their professional ad photo up against my android phone photos. (H 2.01 VVS) http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/halo/14k-white-gold-falling-edge-pave-diamond-engagement-ring-item-49492 (select oval and you'll see it). JA did have to create a new CAD and mold for my ring so maybe that's why mine did not I think end up with any issues yet that I can see with the setting.

image_163.jpg

image_162.jpg

image_164.jpg

image_161.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results