shape
carat
color
clarity

Need an Opinion on Princess Cut ~1ct Loose Stone

furious_pete

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

My name is Mark and I'm in the market for a diamond. I've been trying to learn what I can from forum members and PriceScope guides but I need a little re-assurance that I am looking in the right place in terms of ideal characteristics for the stone. I have visited a couple local jewelry stores with my girlfriend and we have taken time to compare different diamond clarity, colors, sizes, and cuts. After the visits I think I am more confused than when I started.

I would really like to stick with a ~$4k budget for the loose stone and think ~1 carat would be a nice size for her hand. I know she wants a princess cut and she said she prefers "warmer" colors (J-G - lucky me, I think). We haven't ruled out the whiter diamonds but cost seems to be a factor and she genuinely prefers the nearly colorless vs colorless.

I have looked at several vendors online (starting with the Diamond Search on PriceScope), including whiteflash, Brian Gavin, James Allen, B2C, Enchanted Diamonds, Good old Gold and Blue Nile. I think I found a couple diamonds in my price range.

Can any of you offer opinions on these diamonds? (I have reserved the first linked diamond that shows unavailable. The asking price is just under $4k) Are there better stones out there for the money? Do the diamond proportions, ASET images and photos look like they will add up to a nice stone? Really looking for something that will sparkle. Is it worth it to pay a bit of a premium and find an AGS Ideal diamond? How far away are these choices, especially the first selection, from an AGS Ideal cut in terms of performance or is that a question that cant be answered?

https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/Princess/GIA-Certified-1-0-Carat-I-Color-IF-Clarity-Diamond-63AK9P
https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/Princess/GIA-Certified-1-02-Carat-F-Color-VS2-Clarity-Diamond-3ZWK3E
https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/Princess/GIA-Certified-1-01-Carat-H-Color-VVS1-Clarity-Diamond-4H3B12
https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/Princess/GIA-Certified-1-01-Carat-H-Color-IF-Clarity-Diamond-NAJDGP

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you want, you can search ED for AGS diamonds. I believe you need an account to open the certificate, so you can see if there are any AGS0 stones and compare them :)

E B

Ideal_Rock
Hi Mark,

Well done on the search! I think the one you have reserved (the I, IF) has one of the better ASETs of the group.

I also thought I'd mention this one, since you said she likes the 'near colorless,' and the price compares to a couple you listed. Plus, it's an AGS0. I'd run it by her, though (and make sure it's eye-clean).

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/d...1.206-j-vs2-princess-diamond-ags-104082439002

furious_pete

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the response EB, that one from Brian G looks like a nice diamond. Will there be a very noticeable difference in performance of an AGS stone compared to the one I reserved? I havent been able to find a local dealer that offers AGS ideal stones so that I can see the difference in person.

E B

Ideal_Rock
furious_pete|1454640070|3986986 said:
Thanks for the response EB, that one from Brian G looks like a nice diamond. Will there be a very noticeable difference in performance of an AGS stone compared to the one I reserved? I havent been able to find a local dealer that offers AGS ideal stones so that I can see the difference in person.

Very noticeable, probably not, but it's hard to say without seeing in person (best way to judge). I really only mentioned the BGD because it was 1.2, since your girlfriend was okay with a J, but it does have a less leakage toward the edges. I think either will be beautiful.

E B

Ideal_Rock
furious_pete|1454694583|3987260 said:
Is this stone a better option? Aside from the higher pricing when I look at the ASET image it appears to offer better light return - more red in the center of the stone compared to my initial choice. Is the green colored "X" in the center of my reserved diamonds ASET a potential problem?

http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-8011685-1.02-carat-Princess-diamond-G-color-IF-clarity.aspx

I don't know...is b2c's computer generated? It looks really leaky around the edges of the diamond. I think the I, IF would probably be the better performer.

furious_pete

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply EB. I hadnt considered a square cushion shape previously. So many choices! haha. I think I am going to stick with the diamond from Enchanted for now. It fits into my budget, it has the clarity characteristics that I need to satisfy cultural requirements and neither of us is bothered by the lower color. Based on our conversation here it also seems to have an above average cut.

Does it have shot at AGS Ideal? Or can an Ideal light performance grade be ruled out based on something you see in the image or listed cut measurements?

E B

Ideal_Rock
furious_pete|1454767110|3987671 said:
Thanks for the reply EB. I hadnt considered a square cushion shape previously. So many choices! haha. I think I am going to stick with the diamond from Enchanted for now. It fits into my budget, it has the clarity characteristics that I need to satisfy cultural requirements and neither of us is bothered by the lower color. Based on our conversation here it also seems to have an above average cut.

Does it have shot at AGS Ideal? Or can an Ideal light performance grade be ruled out based on something you see in the image or listed cut measurements?

That I can't answer, but judging by some of the ASETs available for AGS0 princess cuts, maybe. An AGS1 (Excellent) at the least (in my opinion). But if you think it's going to be more mind clean for you to hit that AGS ideal, I think you should, even if you have to spend a few hundred more.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results