shape
carat
color
clarity

Need an education on Lab Diamonds

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
I never thought I'd be looking at lab diamonds! But I have 2 projects in mind that it makes financial sense to use Lab stones. I have no knowledge to base decisions on. I see stones with treatments (?) and I have no clue what that is or how it affects the stone. I also see very affordable stones then I see stones that are quite pricy and typically "in-house" stones. (from a trusted vendor). Is there info here on PS that anyone can point me to? Thanks.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hello, Ann!
In general, I like to play it very safe and focus on D-E color SI1 or better HPHT and then look for blue/gray hues and clouding...as long as neither are present (unless a Type IIb is desired), then it's an extremely safe route with selecting a well cut and proportioned LGD.

If you'd like us to post some examples, then give us a budget cap (real or fabricated) and we'll provide some links to wonderful options for you to take a look at.

tofab50773

Rough_Rock
Same boat. Here is what I have been able to learn so far (preface it by saying that I still may be wrong about this). Thanks to a bunch of people on here who are not afraid to educate!!!

1. Good LGDs are just as nice as Natural stones
2. HPHT is a better process than CVD (especially when the stone has undergone numerous treatments). HPHT can also undergo an additional post-treatment (as can natural stones) but too many - and that is a problem.
3. Look at certs and they tell you about #2. GCAL is great, GIA is good, IGI is good (for lab stones since they were in this space early).
4. Have them looked at under a scope, if possible.
5. Buy from a reputable dealer.
6. Live with it once you love it!!

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Hello, Ann!
In general, I like to play it very safe and focus on D-E color SI1 or better HPHT and then look for blue/gray hues and clouding...as long as neither are present (unless a Type IIb is desired), then it's an extremely safe route with selecting a well cut and proportioned LGD.

If you'd like us to post some examples, then give us a budget cap (real or fabricated) and we'll provide some links to wonderful options for you to take a look at.

Oh wow - thank you for the offer of help.
So project number 1 is a pear shape "diamond" around 1ct - 1.50ct. Great specs. I do like a bit of a more elongated pear than a squatty shape :) Maybe no more than $3,000. Honestly I'm not sure what a stone with those specs would cost.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Oh wow - thank you for the offer of help.
So project number 1 is a pear shape "diamond" around 1ct - 1.50ct. Great specs. I do like a bit of a more elongated pear than a squatty shape :) Maybe no more than $3,000. Honestly I'm not sure what a stone with those specs would cost.

For the absolute BEST pear cut that I know of, there's only one person to seek out out: Jon (Rhino) at Distinctive Gem!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Jon also has a cherry-picked 1.36 D VS2 Pear with 1.60:1 ratio in stock for $2500! :)

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Jon also has a cherry-picked 1.36 D VS2 Pear with 1.60:1 ratio in stock for $2500! :)

thank you - I will check that out asap

Ann

Brilliant_Rock

Where on the report did you locate the ratio? I can't find it. A few days ago he had a 1.17ct I guess it's been bought.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Where on the report did you locate the ratio? I can't find it. A few days ago he had a 1.17ct I guess it's been bought.

I just dividend length by width manually. :)

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Also, I had such a good experience at IDJewelry in NYC, you may want to see what they have. They have some hand selected labs that are well priced.

They are closed from Friday afternoon through Monday though.

Last edited:

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
And, just sayin’ you don’t have to put diamond in quotes. It is a real diamond. Just a different process to get there. Otherwise all the properties and the chemical makeup is the same.

ElvisJ

Rough_Rock
Need an education on Lab Diamonds I never thought I'd be looking at lab diamonds! But I have 2 projects in mind that it makes financial sense to use Lab stones. I have no knowledge to base decisions on. I see stones with treatments (?) and I have no clue what that is or how it affects the stone. I also see very affordable stones then I see stones that are quite pricy and typically "in-house" stones. (from a trusted vendor). Is there info here on PS that anyone can point me to? I have done research on reviews of the most famous laboratories and so far I can not decide which brand I should choose for my educational project. This reminds me of the plot from the essay on the Modest Proposal https://graduateway.com/essay-examples/a-modest-proposal/ when the hero offered seemingly reasonable proposals, but still did not find support. Also, I cannot understand what is the difference between different models, because the cost can vary greatly, and they are made in the same laboratory conditions. At first glance, it would be logical not to spend a lot of money, because the project is educational, not commercial. But on the other hand, I would like the quality to be good. Thanks.

Sounds like an interesting educational project that can teach a lot especially to beginners. I'm just starting to study this topic. Interesting that you chose LGD or HPHT.

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Sounds like an interesting educational project that can teach a lot especially to beginners. I'm just starting to study this topic. Interesting that you chose LGD or HPHT.

Hi ElvisJ. LGD means Lab Grown Diamonds. HPHT and CVD are methods for growing the LGDs. There is a lot to learn here. But they are REAL diamonds. Just the method and of course, the time for growing, are different.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results