shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Advise on This Diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

curious rock

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I would appreciate if you can please tell me your opinion about this diamond description: Thank you for your help.

Shape = Round Brilliant
Measurement 6.65-6.68 X 4.02 mm
Weight = 1.07
Depth = 60.3%
Table = 58%
Girdle = Thin to Med Faceted
Culet = None
Polish = Very Good
Symmetry = Very Good
Clarity = VS1
Color Grade = J
Flourescence = None
Crown Angle = 32.6 degrees
Pavillion Depth = 43.6 %
Price = $4428:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

buttercup

Rough_Rock
HCA: 0.9 - Excellent - within TIC range...Nice Work!

This diamond is being sold at USAcerteddiamonds for $4161 as a 'special pricescope price', so your price is in the right range.

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Curious Rock,

What is the pavilion angle on that diamond?

curious rock

Rough_Rock
H Lawmaxi,

Unfortunately, the Pavillion angle is not stated anywhere. I copied the data on the GIA Cert and on on appraisal report provided by Blue Nile. They only gave the Crown angle and pavillion depth as added information to the GIA Cert. I just want to make sure it's a good diamond and hope that I did not overpaid based on what you consider here as a good buy.

Thanks in advance for your expertise in this area.

Curious Rock

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe you can find a local jeweler who has a Sarin machine and will give you that information. You could order an ideal scope by clicking on the button in the menu bar. That would give you good information about the cut of your diamond.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The pavilion depth of your stone would appear to be a slightly steep pavilion angle. It is in my 2A spec range on the AGA Cut Class charts. Combined with the slightly shallow crown angle of this diamond and you may have a very brilliant stone with the Ideal Scope or with the HCA. While it is not an ideal cut in the traditional sense, it may be a very well performing stone.

curious rock

Rough_Rock
Hi Oldminer,

Thank you very much for your professional opinion regarding my stone. It is very much appreciated especially coming form one of the most respected expert in gemology. I just would like to ask a follow-up question if I may, price wise, did I get a good deal?

Thank you once again,

Curious Rock

curious rock

Rough_Rock
Actually my purchase price went down by $338 because Blue nile mada a price matched on the exact diamond I found using price scope. So the price was adjusted to the lowest price "I found from 4428 (my original purchase price) to 4090 (price posted by dirtcheapdiamonds.com

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Excellent work on your part and kudos to Blue Nile for matching the price! You're a good shopper. :appl:

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Lawmax I think the point was that Blue Nile (and many other vendors) list their goods cheaper on Pricescope than on their own sites because this is the most competitive place for consumers to buy diamonds in the world!

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 4/2/2002 2:26:04 AM

Lawmax I think the point was that Blue Nile (and many other vendors) list their goods cheaper on Pricescope than on their own sites because this is the most competitive place for consumers to buy diamonds in the world!
----------------

Is that true of Blue Nile? I didn't get that idea from the posts.

curious rock

Rough_Rock
No, that is not the case here. I bought the diamond based on what the price was posted in Blue Nile. Then upon learning of price scope, I did a search of the exact diamond specs here and found out that the exact same diamond was available for sale from three different sites. So I called Blue Nile about it. I was told that they owned the diamond but my argument with them was that if they owned it, how come they sell it for more compare to other sites. Blue Nile indeed verified that was the case and they gladly gave me a price adjustment based on the lowest price. I commend Blue Nile for doing so because, it is not stated anywhere from their web site that they will do a Price Match for their products.

Cola

Rough_Rock
Is this a good diamond?

The GIA report says it's a 1.07 ct,
60.9% depth
57% table
medium faceted
no cutlet
exc polish
exc symmetry
SI2
I color
no fluorescence.

The sarin report says
depth: 60.9%
table: 56.7%
crown 33.8 degrees
pavilion 41 degrees
culet 0.4%
girdle 0.7 thin - 2.1 slt. thick.

The price is $3840.

I've tried the HCA and I think I gott a score of 1 but I'm surprised that the girdle goes from 0.7 to 2.1 for a medium girdle. Should I be concerned?

Thanks.
:rolleyes:

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
The girdle is probably medium as an average. The cut looks ok. Have you seen this diamond? Are there any eye visible inclusions? You may want to take or send this one to an independent appraiser to check out the cut and the inclusions. I would probably go down in size to get better color and clarity, but that's just me.

Cola

Rough_Rock
I decided against purchasing the diamond. After some searching I've located another one:

1 carat
I color
VS2
Sarin values:
60.5 depth
56.8 table
60.5 crown angle
40.6 pavilion angle
culet 0.5%
It has a thin girdle unfortunately.

I'll most likely bring in to an appraiser.
Is a 4 prong or a 6 prong appropriate for this?

Thanks!

Cola

Rough_Rock
How would the diamond show under DiamondCalc? Would it leak a lot?

Thanks!

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Cola,

Check the crown angle on that diamond please. If the crown angle is 34.5, it looks like a beauty. :) What are the girdle measurements?

Cola

Rough_Rock
Whoops! Made a typo. The sarin report is rotated 90 degrees so I have to tilt my head.

The pavilion angle is 35 and and the girdle is 1.1% (0.7 - 1.3)%. It's not fluorescent. Can't wait to see how it looks like!

You know, I wish my budget was larger as 1) the color is an I, and 2) I just learned about eightstar diamonds. Hopefully the cut will make up for any loss in color.

Thanks for all your help! I've really learned a lot from reading everyone's posts. As for a DiamondCalc personal use version I'm for it. It'll help me visualize how it would approximately appear. Once I get it it'll be appraised.

Does the HCA assume that all facet crown angles are the same?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results