shape
carat
color
clarity

Need advise - are these earrings worth it?

Q

Queenie60

dscn4919.jpg

I found these earrings at an antique jewelry store (circa 1980) near my hometown. They want $4,900 for the earrings. 18 K w/g, 24 marquise stones and 20 round brilliant stones, tcw 2.50. G/H, vs2 - SI1. They weigh 6.1 grams. I find them to be unique as the bottom two star shapes can be taken off of the post section of the earring. They can be worn as a stud or dangle with the two bottom pieces attached. Also, could possibly have pearls made to hook on the stud portion or a gemstone, and other possibilities. I do not have experience with purchasing antique jewelry and don't want to be taken - purchase something that I am later to find out wasn't worth anything near what I paid for it. They were beautiful in the shop under their lighting as well as out in the sunshine. I would be taking their word for the quality of the stones, weight, etc. Does anyone have advise on how I should determine if they are worth what the vendor is asking? I know that I can probably negotiate with a cash offer as I'm sure she would love to sell them to me. I'll try to post a few other photos. Thank you :confused:

Q

Queenie60

dscn4925.jpg

This photo shows how the earring separates - to be worn as a stud earring.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no idea what they are worth but her price sounds high to me.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The price sounds high to me since all the stones are very small. I am not sure if we can find good comps, but if you want them, I'd make a much lower offer and negotiate the price. I'd also get a return policy in case you decide to have them appraised to be sure of value.

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
I can't comment much other than it does seem a little high. I can say wow, beautiful! I had never seen anything like them.

Maybe you can wiggle and jiggle a little negotiation expecially if you show up with cash?

$2500? You just need to get someone's opinion here who can tell you the value but I do think it sounds definitely high for what it is

Q

Queenie60

diamondseeker2006|1451438450|3968182 said:
The price sounds high to me since all the stones are very small. I am not sure if we can find good comps, but if you want them, I'd make a much lower offer and negotiate the price. I'd also get a return policy in case you decide to have them appraised to be sure of value.

Thank you very much for your reply - I was hoping someone with your expertise would chime in! Gives me more confidence to negotiate the price. They're pretty interesting and my imagination is running with all types of dangles I could have made for them. :wavey:

Q

Queenie60

cinnamonstick|1451439216|3968188 said:
I can't comment much other than it does seem a little high. I can say wow, beautiful! I had never seen anything like them.

Maybe you can wiggle and jiggle a little negotiation expecially if you show up with cash?

$2500? You just need to get someone's opinion here who can tell you the value but I do think it sounds definitely high for what it is

Thank you Cinnamonstick! I appreciate your reply - glad you like them, they're pretty cool earrings! :wavey:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah. Way too overpriced for me.

I would generally stick to 1000-1250 a carat for pre-owned finished goods like that with such small stones like that at that color and clarity.

IMO she is overcharging by over A LOT. I wouldn't pay above 3000k for that. So if you can get her down to that, then it might be worth it. I'd start by offering 2500 if it were me. And if she negotiates tell her best and final is 3200k (although, personally I'd best and final at 3k).

And walk away at that point. If she doesn't agree. They aren't worth more.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Justification for pricing I gave above.

Obviously finding those exactly earrings is not going to happen. So I looked for dangle earrings, pre-owned, with similar carat weight and color/clarity.

This is the best example of a comp: http://www.ebay.com/itm/HEARTS-ON-FIRE-DIAMOND-EARRINGS-COMPELLING-DREAM-DROP-2-63TCW-18KT-WHITE-GOLD-/172041808298?hash=item280e7da9aa:g:4nsAAOSwTapV3~AP

It's 5.5k for 2.6 carats. But it's a branded verifiable quality piece.

Yours isn't. And yet, the listed price is very comparable to this. That's not okay. You are being asked to pay the price a branded piece demands.

These are pretty comparable to the ones you are looking at IMO: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ESTATE-2-20CTW-DIAMOND-18K-YLW-GOLD-HANGING-FLORAL-DROP-EARRINGS-36MM-3B-334418-/172017065431?hash=item280d041dd7:g:59QAAOSw9N1VuPEi (actually they are really pretty, or would be, then rhodium plated). And you'll notice there is a best offer option. I would be they would happily take 3,000 for these. The writing says VVS clarity. The top of the listing says SI. But looking at the stones, I believe they would be likely be eyeclean VS-SI and comparable to the goods you are looking at in color. 10 marquise and 30 rounds in this one.

Q

Queenie60

Gypsy|1451456155|3968306 said:
Justification for pricing I gave above.

Obviously finding those exactly earrings is not going to happen. So I looked for dangle earrings, pre-owned, with similar carat weight and color/clarity.

This is the best example of a comp: http://www.ebay.com/itm/HEARTS-ON-FIRE-DIAMOND-EARRINGS-COMPELLING-DREAM-DROP-2-63TCW-18KT-WHITE-GOLD-/172041808298?hash=item280e7da9aa:g:4nsAAOSwTapV3~AP

It's 5.5k for 2.6 carats. But it's a branded verifiable quality piece.

Yours isn't. And yet, the listed price is very comparable to this. That's not okay. You are being asked to pay the price a branded piece demands.

These are pretty comparable to the ones you are looking at IMO: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ESTATE-2-20CTW-DIAMOND-18K-YLW-GOLD-HANGING-FLORAL-DROP-EARRINGS-36MM-3B-334418-/172017065431?hash=item280d041dd7:g:59QAAOSw9N1VuPEi (actually they are really pretty, or would be, then rhodium plated). And you'll notice there is a best offer option. I would be they would happily take 3,000 for these. The writing says VVS clarity. The top of the listing says SI. But looking at the stones, I believe they would be likely be eyeclean VS-SI and comparable to the goods you are looking at in color. 10 marquise and 30 rounds in this one.

Gypsy: Thank you so very much! I am so glad that we all have you on PS!!! This gives me the basic information I need to negotiate with her. I will make her an offer - if she doesn't accept, I'll walk away and tell her if she changes her mind, give me a call. I certainly appreciate all of your help and so glad you chimed in (I was hoping you would.) I look forward to one day having you help me chose a diamond! Your'e the best! Thank you Gypsy and Happy New Year to you. :wavey:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
You are welcome honey.

I look forward to the day you are diamond shopping too!

I'll be happy to help you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results