shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Advice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Alex NY

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

This is my first post, and Im sure it's no different than most 1st posts on here.

I've done my research for the most part but not being an expert or having any previous experince from purchasing loose diamonds I would like to know what others think.

I've been to a couple of places in NYC such as Deebers, and Lockes. Every place was offering me a .78ct set in platnium for $6,000 - $7,500. Im really looking for a 1.ct but those were way over $10,000.

Now I stumbbled across this website diamonds.com and the they have a 1ct with the same specs as the .78 I was being sold at Lockes and at Debeers for half the price.

So my question is do you think it seems to good for the price? Or have the shops in NYC been trying to get one over on me.

(from diamonds.com)
Diamond DetailsLot #: 9979441
At A Glance
Shape: Princess
Carat Size: 1.00carats
Color: H
Clarity: SI1
Cut: Excellent
Details
Depth: 72.7%
Table: 76.0%
Girdle: THIN to THIN
Culet: NONE
Polish: VERY GOOD
Symmetry: GOOD
Flourescence: NONE
Measurements: 5.94x5.54x4.03mm
Grading Report #: 15067984
Price: $3,423

Thanks in Advance

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
hey alex! welcome to ps
35.gif

if you are not able to see the diamond in person prior to purchase, it would be extremely helpful to get at least an idealscope image and some natural photos of it. that said, the table on that particular diamond is on the ''big'' side and i''m not a fan of thin-thin girdles on princess cut stones... you are just asking for trouble.

Alex NY

Rough_Rock
Hi belle,

Thanks for the reply.

I guess to sum up most of my questions is it realistic think I can buy a decent 1ct for about 4k?

Debeers was selling a Half Carat, SI2, H Color for $4,000 my girlfriend loves that setting but she thinks that the half carat for that price is too expensive.

Alex

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i think it is very reasonable to expect to get something around 1ct. for 4k. i would look just under 1ct. to avoid the huge premium that is placed on those carat markers. you can do a search using the ''pricescope your diamond'' tool at the top of the page. be sure to select ''in house'' or ''cut quality search'' to narrow down your search to what is readily available.

Alex NY

Rough_Rock
Great! Thanks,

The only thing I liked about Lockes is that they said if I bring in a diamond they would create a custom setting for me. So that''s the route Im trying to take, get a 1ct and just have them do the setting.

-Alex

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/18/2006 4:35:00 PM
Author: Alex NY
Great! Thanks,

The only thing I liked about Lockes is that they said if I bring in a diamond they would create a custom setting for me. So that''s the route Im trying to take, get a 1ct and just have them do the setting.

-Alex
cool! i hope you find exactly what you are looking for!
36.gif

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1 ct 4K, you''re looking at H SI1, ideal cut.

Alex NY

Rough_Rock
Cool, I wasnt sure if I could get a 1ct with those specs for 4K.

Like I mentioned the places I went to were offering me a half carat or a .78 with those specs for about $6,000.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is what I might do.

There are three stones here:
http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?pid=LD00900737
http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?pid=LD00400241
http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?pid=LD00400233

There's something I don't like about each one; the first has a slt th-thick girdle and large-ish table, the second has nice proportions but a 1 for light performance, the third has a high crown and medium blue flour (I'm just not a blue person, but some people love it.) Anyway, you have to buy the diamond, not the paper. You should ask BN if they're eye-clean. If it's not, it gets tossed. If you have a high limit credit card, I'd buy all of them and then pick the one I like best. If you want a second opinion, take it to an appraiser (or take your two favorite to an appraiser.) At about 4K each, it's better than that 3/4 ct, 6K deal, right?

Alex NY

Rough_Rock
That's true, thanks for the help.

cool, thanks for that other site, I'll check it now.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results