shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Advice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BillyMc

Rough_Rock
I am considering purchasing a loose diamond while in Aruba.

Here are the specs from the EGL Cert:

Round Brilliant
6.53-6.43 x 3.89
Depth-60%
Table-62%
Crown-12%
Pavillion-44%
Girdle-Med, Faceted

Polish-Good
Symmetry-Very Good
Culet-None

VS2
H

No graining
Slight Blue Fluorescence

We directly compared it to a "Hearts on Fire" diamond of similar size, color, and clarity and could not differentiate the two stones. The jeweler even let us take them outside and both were very beautiful.

The price he quoted me was $3900.

What do the experts think???

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think its a good deal for the price you have been quoted. It's not an ideal stone, but rather a larger tabled, slightly shallow stone, but if the price is right, and it checks out when you get it appraised (which I would definitely do), go for it.

I ran the numbers through the cut advisor and it gave it a 2.9, which means 'worth buying if the price is right'. Anything under 2.0 is an Excellent score. This stone got a VG, G, G, EX. The Excellent was for the Spread, meaning that this stone probably looks larger than the 1.01 carat it is..maybe more like a 1.05-1.09. The Fire and Scintillation of this stone may not be as good as an 'ideal' cut. I'm surprised you mentioned you could not tell the difference to a HOF as I have seen those in person and in my opinion they blow away even 'ideal' stones. If is truly the case that your stone is comparable, then it might be a true great performer!

Somethign else I want to mention is that if it is an EGL cert I would definitely get an 2nd opinion by an independent appraiser before purchasing if possible. EGL has been known in the past to sometimes loosely grade their stones, more specifically the overseas EGL labs rather than the US labs. The fact that you are buying from Aruba might mean this diamond was graded outside of the US. Also EGL rounds their crown and angle pavilion percentages, meaning that it makes it hard to get an accurate read on the HCA..as the HCA prefers angles rather than percentages for accuracy. Just something to consider.

If you are not completed sold on the stone, you can keep looking around as well.--don't feel pressured to buy something. Just out of curiousity, why are you purchasing in Aruba? Have you priced out anything locally or online as well? There can be very competitive deals found. But if your heart is set on this stone, you love the way it looks, and the price is right (which sounds like it could be), then why not get it? In the end all of these numbers mean nothing as if the stone looks beautiful to your eyes...that is really all that matters!

Good luck!

BillyMc

Rough_Rock
We have looked at numerous diamonds in numerous stores, both locally (NC) and in Aruba. I have not seriously looked online, only searching online for price comparisons. The price on this stone far undercuts any local prices on stones of similar quality and size.

To both of our untrained eyes, there was not a great difference between the hearts on fire diamond and the EGL stone described above. The only great difference was in the price ($5500 vs. $3900).

Indeed, the cert is from a European lab of EGL. What is the best way to get an independent appraisal??

During my fairly exhaustive search, the one thing I have learned is that sometimes I get caught up too much in all the specs and numbers. I have seen stones that are very high quality according to all the specs, but for some reason, the stones do not perform accordingly. I have also seen stones with lower quality according to the specs, that for some reason seem much more brilliant than their qualities.

Any help on getting an independent appraisal would be appreciated.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
The diamond falls in the AGA Cut Class 2A, which is considered a fine make. The cut categories are rated like so:

1A Ideal Make
1B Premium Make
2A Fine (very good) Make
2B Fine (good to very good) Make
3A Commercial (good) Make
3B Commerical (fair to good) Make
4A Below Average (fair) Make
4B Below Average (poor) Make

The parenthetical descriptions are my own interpretation of the AGA grading categories.

2A is a very respectable cut grade. Probably in the upper end of what most stores carry, but not quite getting into the stratosphere of makes carried by the ideal make guys.

If the diamond is graded correctly, the $3900 price is excellent. As Mara states, a second opinion from an independent appraiser is always a good idea.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
There is an appraiser tab on Pricescope, view the listings to see where an independent appraiser is closest to you. The only thing is that I don't know how you would go about finding one in Aruba. Or you could buy the stone, get it appraised in the US, then if it doesn't check out, make sure that you can return it to Aruba. Though I don't know what sorts of legal issues that may raise, with buying it outside of US, etc.

BillyMc

Rough_Rock
The jeweler has two offices in the US and the diamond can be purchased in Aruba and returned if the appraisal(s), they require two independent appraisals for returns, turns out to be lower than promised.

Thanks for all of your help guys. With an important purchase like this, it is very nice to have a forum like this to turn to.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results