shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Advice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rocknovice

Rough_Rock
I would appreciate any comments about a diamond I am considering. I ran the numbers through the HCA and it is 0.8. Also, when considering an SI1 diamond, are there types of inclusions to stay away from? This one has a few crystals, one in the table, and "indented natural" and "natural" on the girdle. Is this ok? Thanks in advance for any help. Could I do better for the price?

Thanks...

1.03 Carat Round D SI1
6.45 x 6.49 x 4.02
Depth 62%
Crown Angle 33.8
Crown 14.7%
Pavil Angle 40.8
Pavil 42.8%
Table 3.64mm 56%
Culet 0.9% very small
girdle 1.5% - 2.7%
Polish Excellent
Symmetry Very Good
Flourescence None
Price $6418

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
The HCA favors somewhat shallow diamonds...

Also the indented natural needs to be seen. It depends on HOW much its indented.

The question you need to ask yourself is how much would this diamond weight without the indented natural, particularly if it is "deep".

You might be buying a stone that might weigh under 1 carat if the i.n. were polished out. So..... what would you want to pay for that, if such is the case?

Some SI's don't have bad inclusions, but you need to consider that the major labs sometimes only plot the grade setting inclusions, and they don't always draw them accurately.

NO one can accurate provide what you want to know without seeing and testing the stone.

Rockdoc

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
You should get an appraisers opinion if you have no relationship with the vendor.
But you do not need to, it is your choice.
The appraiser who posted comments here says something to frighten almost every consumer into using his services. He rarely offers encouraging or helpful advice.

It is not in the diamond industries interests to promote diamonds that have shallower crown angles and hence less yeild.

I have found that many people prefer diamonds with proportions like what you posted, and indeed had Tolkowsky done his math accurately and accounted for a girdle, then this stone is closer to perfect than the one he choose.

I have grown weary with this appraisers fear tactics, especially since he may make more money in charges for excessive over servicing than the dealer selling you the stone. I am sorry if I have rambled on.

This stone is well worth an inspection

babeskidoodle

Rough_Rock
Ok cutnut and rockdoc some how this has to stop. I'm just a dumbo consumer here and I read this board daily if not multiple times a day. I'm sick of reading so and so did this and so and so does that. To keep the record perfectly straight I have used Rockdoc's services. Now with that said I will say that a couple of posts were on the "advertising" edge. But in my opinion this one was not. In fact to close his post rockdoc said.

"NO one can accurate provide what you want to know without seeing and testing the stone."

and cutnut said.

"This stone is well worth an inspection"

what's the difference?

The bottom line for me is "we" lowly consumers come here to for education and advice BOTH good and more importantly bad. I would hate to only see wonderful encouraging words about every diamond people posted here because that doesn't help anyone. Consumers like me post here because we want to know from the experts what we are missing in our diamond. It's easy to get caught up in the buying process and over look even the simple things, As kirk closes all his posts "Buy Informed!" .

On last observation, does it seem odd that this banter back and forth is between someone that doesn't wholly believe in the HCA and the HCA Crusader?

I hope I haven’t offended either of you because that’s not my intent. I enjoy and learn from each of you and just would like this kind of stuff to end.

Thanks to everyone on this board for all the great advice and feedback to all us consumers (including cutnut and rockdoc). It's a great service you all provide. I've purchased a 1.66 si1 h and I'm putting it in a scott kay setting, when it's done I'll post some eye candy!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
Charlie

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
----------------
"NO one can accurate provide what you want to know without seeing and testing the stone."

and cutnut said.

"This stone is well worth an inspection"

what's the difference?
----------------
Babeskidoodle,

It is obvious that no one can give 100% accurate analysis without seeing the diamond.

However, people still want to get some advice before making final decision.

Sometimes, there is nothing one can tell based on posting numbers but sometimes it is possible to see a red flag, or encourage if it is a good candidate, or recommend to get some additional information or education.

Imaging now all the answers will be: "The diamond must be seeing by the expert". Read: "I’m the only expert and you should always send me your diamond or, better yet, several diamonds, pay me and I’ll tell you what to buy".

Will it be of much help?

Now, do you think it is ethical to use public forums to promote your business like this even if you are an expert without giving any other useful advices?

of the forum. I hope it will help to keep integrety of this place.

Happy holidays to you too :)
[/u]

rocknovice

Rough_Rock
I posted my request with full knowledge that I should get an independent appraisers opinion of any diamond I buy. I also knew that there were differing opinions about HCA. I simply wanted to narrow my decision down to a diamond that I am fairly confident a appraiser would give a favorable opinion of.

My basic questions really are "Given the number of diamonds available in the world, how do I narrow my choice down to one diamond that is worth taking to an independent appraiser? If I choose to look at SI1 diamonds, what should I look for? What inclusions are ok and which ones effect the diamond in a bad way?"

As far as the indented natural goes, I had never heard of one in any of the information or tutorials I've read so I really just wanted to know if it was something to stear clear of. Like the old saying "there are many fish in the sea", I thought that maybe an indented flaw was something that could easily disqualify a diamond for someone like me that is only buying one.

I did receive an email from www.diamondoptics.com suggesting that I could get a diamond with a better cut for the same or less money from them. I think that was ok. Maybe blatent plugs for a service should be sent only as private emails. Perhaps the site could have a page where diamond brokers and appraisers could list themselves and public replies could simply refer to that page instead of the thread turning into an argument about who is better than who. I would hate to post a request about a single diamond only to get a bunch of replies fomr competitors of my jeweler.

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 12/19/2002 12:58:46 PM

I did receive an email from www.diamondoptics.com suggesting that I could get a diamond with a better cut for the same or less money from them. I think that was ok. Maybe blatent plugs for a service should be sent only as private emails. Perhaps the site could have a page where diamond brokers and appraisers could list themselves and public replies could simply refer to that page instead of the thread turning into an argument about who is better than who. I would hate to post a request about a single diamond only to get a bunch of replies fomr competitors of my jeweler.

----------------

You can take a look at these pages, which may be helpful:

https://www.pricescope.com/dealers.asp

https://www.pricescope.com/appr_list.asp

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results