shape
carat
color
clarity

Need advice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

manechka

Rough_Rock
Hello All,

I need an advice. I have an opportunity to buy a Tiffany engagement ring. It has been worn for a very short period of time (the ring was purchased less than a year ago and looks very good).

It is Tiffany setting (six-prong), platinum with 1.08 carat, F color, VS1, GIA certified. The ring is appraised by GIA at 13,500. The person who sells, paid $13,500 + tax. He wanted to get $7,500, we bargained for a little bit and his final price is $5,500. I think it's a good deal but I would want to get your opinion. If you need any other information from GIA, let me know. I just want to make sure that if time goes by and I get tired of this ring, if I could get my money back or at least not loose too much money on it.

trichrome

Shiny_Rock
Hi,

What are the GIA specs?
Also, you SHOULD get the ring evaluated before purchase... You know, it is so easy to exchange the original diamond for a crappy one! Never assume
that all parts of this ring are from Tiffany unless proven by an independant
gemmologist.

Best regards,

Trichrome.

manechka

Rough_Rock
I will send out the specs later. I also was planning to take the ring to the Tiffany to ask them to confirm that the stone is the original as described in the GIA report. Do you recommend that I take it to the independent gemologist? Any recommendations in San Francisco/Bay Area?

Thank you.

manechka

Rough_Rock
As promised, here are GIA specs, dated November 21, 2000.

Shape and Cutting Style: Round Brilliant
Measurements: 6.62 - 6.65 x 4.05 mm
weight: 1.08 carat

Proportions
depth: 61.0%
table: 55%
Girdle: Thin to medium, faceter
Culet: None

Finish
Polish: very good
Symmetry: excellent
Clarity Grade: VS1
Color Grade: F
Fluorescence: Medium Blue
Comments: None

diamondsman

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
:wavey: I think you are getting a nice stone for the money!($5,500.00)the make is really nice the only draw back is the med.blue but eventhough you are still getting it for a good price(Just my opinion)You can check some websites to compare and see if you are getting a good deal.

good luck
diamondman :))

LesleyH

Brilliant_Rock
manechka:

For that price go for it! With those specs the fluorescence should have little to no effect on the diamond.

LesleyH
www.whiteflash.com

manechka

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your advice. I am really glad to know that this is a good deal. I actually like the blueish sparkle that this stone has. It's really beautiful ring and setting is very simple and elegant.

manechka

Rough_Rock
can some one explain to me what does faceted means next to girdle thickness? I couldn't find any reference to "faceted" in tutorial.

Rook

Shiny_Rock
a girdle can be polished smooth or it can be faceted. Faceted is just what it sounds like. Just as the pavillion and crown have facets, or seperate surfaces, so too does the girdle. It is said that having a faceted girdle helps to make the diamond more brilliant in that it prevents any light from escaping from the girdle?

I am not sure about that, or to what extent that it really helps, but faceted is considered to be a good thing.

Hope this helps!

Rook

manechka

Rough_Rock
Thank you, all. You guys are so helpful. It's great to have a place like that to get advice.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results