shape
carat
color
clarity

Need advice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TLS

Shiny_Rock
Hi I haven''t posted in ages... but was hoping i could get some advice. Please ignore my wrinkly hands and bad picture taking ability :) I am pretty clueless with digital cameras and had a tough time getting a decent shot.

We purchased the engagement ring (the stone not the setting) through GOG last year. I also purchased a similar eternity style wedding band through white flash, but instead of getting the exact same size stones for the band to match I went a little larger. My greediness for bigger melee on the band has now put me in a bind... hehe :)

Now i am afraid the band looks weird because the size of them together do not match... what do you think? I am actually debating getting another thinner band with smaller diamonds to match it better and then just wearing this band as a right hand ring... but i can''t really afford it right now since we are trying to save for our wedding and everything else..

what do you think... does it look weird? it looks a little too fat for my liking compared to my e ring and doesn''t "mesh" 100%. I didn''t get the matching band because i wanted to assure myself of the quality of the melee diamonds which I unfortunately couldn''t really do with the ering band... even though it is ok, i wasn''t 100% thrilled with the stones in the ering band so I went with whiteflash to have them make a similar band...

not sure what to do.... thanks in advance

tararings.jpg

TLS

Shiny_Rock
Here is another shot, but i don''t know if it is any better with my lousy picture taking ability!

tara2.jpg

TLS

Shiny_Rock
ok last comment (well at least for now...). I think my e ring band is around 2mm and the wedding band is closer to 2.5...I could be slightly off on this though i bought it a while ago...

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t really like it...it seems like it was tried to match and then didn''t and ends up looking ''off''.

I did smaller melee in my w-ring than my e-ring but my style was the same with 4 pronged setting so it ended up looking the same just a tiny bit thinner but visually very similar. I think with the shared prongs because the diamonds protrude more if they are larger then you get a different look when they are different sizing. With my 4 prong the metal makes it all straight edged so it is very hard to tell that my stones are smaller, also I only went from 3 pointers to 2 pointers just to make it different.

I''d get a band that matched your e-ring if you want it to look more ''matched''...yes the stones may be smaller but for me I am more about the matching look than a bit of extra ctw in a ring...but I''m anal like that!

TLS

Shiny_Rock
thanks Mara... I appreciate your honest advice.

It is tough though because I know the whiteflash wedding ring is better quality melee than the ering band and it it makes it hard for me to buy another band that matches the ering exactly knowing i have right now a band that has ideal cut melee...but i hate things that don''t match like this. I love the white flash band just not with my ering...

The ering band might actually look better when not next to the better band melee anyway. It would just be easier for me to buy the band that matches the ering exactly to ensure it looks the same, but i can''t pick and choose what melee go into it and that annoys me.

the ering stones sparkle a ton still but i know they are not cut as well as the band i bought.

frustrating...

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
I have to agree with Mara. The rings are so similar, but noticeably different. I think it looks like you're trying to make them match, but they just don't quite work. With melee that small, I don't know how critical it is to have ideal cut stones. Most reasonably well-cut 2 pointers will sparkle plenty. I say go with the matching band. Or, if getting ideal cut stones is really important to you, have WF custom make a matching band. Just a thought. I would definitely be more inclined to purchase the matching band -- it will likely look the best with your ering.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Also one other thought re: melee...I have ''well-cut'' melee in my e-ring (I just specified ''choose the most sparkly ones'') and ACA melee in my w-ring. I can''t even visually see a difference. So in reality if your e-ring has well-cut melee then I don''t think ACA makes all that much of a difference. But that''s just me... to me my sparkles are pretty much the same in both rings. Do you really feel like you SEE a difference or maybe just mentally feel like it''s a difference?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with Mara and Dem. I would go for the matching band as this one just doesn''t do it. At least for me anyways.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Why not get Whiteflash to re-set your e-ring stone in a setting that would be the same as the Whiteflash eternity ring you already love (with the sparkly ACA melee)? Then, when you feel like it, put a sapphire or other colored stone in your old e-ring getting & wear it on your right hand, or on special occaisions ...

ETA: OR if you don't want to spend the $$ right now ... get a plain 2 mm platinum band to wear now & when you're feeling more flush, re-set the e-ring stone blah blah (see above suggestion)

bling*diva*

Ideal_Rock
~~I like Deco''s idea!! I say if you like the band, get the e-ring setting to match that!!
2.gif

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm... I''m going to be a dissenter here. I think it looks fine. In fact, it is the exact same look I have. My e-ring is 3-pointer ACA shared prong and my w-ring is 5-pointer ACAs. The rings are an exact "match" in style otherwise, and it has never bothered me. In fact, I like the extra bling of the w-ring. And in real life, I don''t even think it''s very noticeable.

Thebaubles3ab.jpg

TLS

Shiny_Rock
the whiteflash look better to me quality wise so that is my only issue and ever since pricescope I am obsessed with nice quality stones (I am more focused on the cut quality then anything else but a couple other thing bug me about my ering band). the color looks better with the whiteflash and you can see the arrows in the melee with your naked eye which is kind of cool. Not really important to me, but just kind of neat. I think the color and clarity are better too.

also the band I have with the e-ring has S1I melee. I have no problem whatsoever with SI1 and generally think that is the best value you can get....but I can see inclusions with a loupe easily and I thought that wouldn''t be the case with melee this small? what is the deal with that? it seems harder to find the inclusion in my center diamond and easier to find the inclusion in the melee stones... shouldn''t it be the opposite if they are the same clarity grade?

sometimes i feel it doesn''t look quite as "bright" as the whiteflash ring color wise... but sparkle wise i am not sure there is a huge difference as they both sparkle very nicely.

I can''t get the exact matching band made by the same company and also choose my stones, they don''t do that. I think I am just going to suck it up and buy the matching band since it has kind of been bugging me now for a while...

The idea of having whiteflash make a matching band is great but I just don''t feel comfortable sending my ring out to texas while they make me a matching band. This has nothing to do with whiteflash as i know they are completely trustworthy, just not something i feel comfortable with.

Not sure I am up to trying to get someone around here to make something custom either. not sure it makes enough of a difference, it is not like the stones in my ering are not sparky, they just aren''t quite as nice as the other band.

thanks again....

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/27/2005 9:25:43 AM
Author: TL1
The idea of having whiteflash make a matching band is great but I just don''t feel comfortable sending my ring out to texas while they make me a matching band. This has nothing to do with whiteflash as i know they are completely trustworthy, just not something i feel comfortable with.

I don''t think you''d have to send your e-ring out to whiteflash to have a setting made to match the et ring you bought from them. If the et ring is a stock piece they have "inspiration" pieces galore there ... could make a matching e-ring setting and you could have your stone set locally. OR ... if you want to be sure they match, just send the et band you already bought from them & let them match the ering setting to that. Then send both the band and the setting back to you -- set stone locally.

With all your discussion of the inclusions in your e-ring band, I fear just a smaller "matching" et ring will only solve part of the problem and will still continue to bug you even after you throw more $$ at it. Just MHO. Good luck!
2.gif

TLS

Shiny_Rock
Hi sorry for the confusion, i didn''t buy the ering band from whiteflash. I bought it from a local jeweler and the company would not be well known by anyone on this board I do not believe. That was the crux of the problem. I decided i wanted to assure myself of the stone quality for the matching band so i worked with whiteflash to create something. Unfortunately i used larger stones so it doesn''t look quite right with the ering. It is fatter than my ering band and sticks out more on the sides and overall just don''t look like a match... not their fault and I guess this is the problem with doing things via email when the company is many miles away. they did a great job on the band it just doesn''t mesh 100% with my existing ering band.

I think i will just go back to my local jeweler and buy the matching band even though the stones are not quite as nice as whiteflash''s.

I appreciate everyones help and feedback, you have always been so hopeful with questions.

TLS

Shiny_Rock
Meant to say "Helpful" not hopeful. haha. I type way too fast!
emcrook.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
We KNOW you didn''t buy the ERING from Whiteflash ... but you did by the ETERNITY BAND from them. They can make an ERING to match the ETERNITY BAND and don''t need your existing ERING to do it. Does this make sense???

You don''t need to send them ANYTHING. They will send back an empty e-ring setting that EXACTLY MATCHES your eternity band you bought from them, but had an empty space in the middle where your local jeweler (that sold you the original ering) can pop your existing enter stone out of your existing e-ring setting ... and place it in the NEW WHITEFLASH ERING SETTING THAT EXACTLY MATCHES THE ETERNITY BAND YOU BOUGHT FROM THEM>

Am I getting through?

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Well, I''m with Lynn. I think it looks fine. A while ago, I was considering this exact look myself.

TLS

Shiny_Rock
Hi Decodelighted ... no need for CAPS! I guess I just misunderstood what you were saying....

Thanks for the advice, two eternity bands of the width that whiteflash created would be too thick for me and would look to bulky on my hands. but thanks anyway for the idea. I also don''t want to have to get my stone reset.... but thanks for the idea.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think your rings look just fine. :) But that''s because I''ve never been a fan of 100% perfect matchy-matchy sets. I''ve always liked the charm of slightly mismatched rings worn together. :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results