shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Advice! Which is a better value? 1.04 vs. 1.54?

Which stone is the better value?

• 2. Stone 2: 1.54c / G / SI2

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hercules1

Rough_Rock
Hello Pricescope,

I finally decided to take the plunge and get married. I''ve been doing my research at all the stores for months, going back and forth on engagement rings. However, I decided to do more research online, and found pricescope (what a blessing and a curse at the same time!) Now, I''m too picky and have caused delays in purchasing my ring. However, thanks to all the forum advice and FAQs on pricescope, I''ve been able to make a better decision and get similar, if not better, stones online/jewelers.

She said she wanted at least 1.0 carat, and I set my budget based on the prices at B&M stores. However, thanks to pricescope, I have been able to look at diamonds as big as 1.5 carats, while still maintaining the other "C"''s and staying within my budget! However, I am now looking for some advice as I have narrowed my search. I''d love to buy her a larger stone, especially since it is within my budget; however, I really want to know which stone I buy is the best value. In your opinion, which one is that and why?

Stone 1:
Round Brilliant
1.4 carat
F
SI2
Cut: Excellent
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: None
Comments: Surface graining is not shown.
HCA score: was 2.4
Price: $4,600

Stone 2:
Round Brilliant
1.54 carat
G
SI2
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Comments: Additional clouds are not shown.
HCA score: was 2.6
Price: $7,900

If you have time, please reply back. Thanks in advance. Ohh, I may know the answer to this already, but which one do you think she would prefer?

pixley

Brilliant_Rock
Hi and welcome! Could you post the depth%, table% and the crown and pavilion angles for these stones so that our resident prosumers can weigh in on the cut quality for you? Also, which labs graded these diamonds? Those details will help the folks that know about rounds determine which is the better stone. They can also help recommend some rockin' 1 carat+ stones within your budget if you're open to that.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Two issues...we need all the measurements of the stones including crown and pavilion angles. Most here wouldn''t buy stones unless the HCA scores were under 2.0, so I imagine the angles aren''t great. Have you seen these stones? The other big determining factor for me would be if they are eyeclean from all angles. SI2''s are risky unless you have assurance about how clean the stones are.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One other thing. These stones aren''t a fair comparison since one costs far more than the other! Between these two, if both are eyeclean, then the 1.5 is a no-brainer! I don''t even need to see the angles!

phildominator

Rough_Rock
Stone 1:

Round Brilliant

1.4 carat

F

SI2

Confirming it''s 1.4 or 1.04...You''ve listed 1.04 twice and 1.4 once.

Secondly, the prices between the two stones are significantly different. If you can afford it, go for the bigger one (assuming performance is comparable for both stones)!

With the HCA score being above 2.0, ASET photos would be a very good idea. This would be paramount to carat size.

hercules1

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for replying. I've updated the original post with everything.

Budget: ~10,000

Stone 1:
Round Brilliant
1.04 carat
F
SI2
Depth: 62.3%
Table: 57%
Crown: 35.0%
Pavilion:41.0%

Stone 2:
Round Brilliant
1.54 carat
G
SI2
Depth: 61.9%
Crown: 35.5%
Pavilion:40.8%

Both have GIA certification. Both stones are available from a jeweler, so I have seen both. At first look, I could not find any of the inclusions. However, after examining them under magnification and seeing the GIA certification, I could pinpoint where clouds/crystals were, specifically when looking at the diamond from pavilion (upside down). This was more evident on the 1.54.

Again, sorry for all the errors, it's really my first time posting anything on any forum! But thanks again!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/11/2009 11:12:31 PM
Author: hercules1
Thank you everyone for replying. I''ve updated the original post with everything.

Budget: ~10,000

Stone 1:
Round Brilliant
1.04 carat
F
SI2
Depth: 62.3%
Crown: 35.0%
Pavilion:41.0%

Stone 2:
Round Brilliant
1.54 carat
G
SI2
Depth: 61.9%
Crown: 35.5%
Pavilion:40.8%

Both have GIA certification. Both stones are available from a jeweler, so I have seen both. At first look, I could not find any of the inclusions. However, after examining them under magnification and seeing the GIA certification, I could pinpoint where clouds/crystals were, specifically when looking at the diamond from pavilion (upside down). This was more evident on the 1.54.

Again, sorry for all the errors, it''s really my first time posting anything on any forum! But thanks again!
Both angle sets are what we call borderline steep deep which could result in light leakage. Without images we can''t tell so you will have to use your eyes or see if the store has an Idealscope or ASET scope available you could use. Check the diamonds out away from the store lights and look for any dark areas on the surface of the diamond, particularly around the table. Also check carefully if clouds are noted as the grade setter for the SI2, in rare cases this can cause a loss of brilliance, so look on the report to see if the clarity is based on clouds on the plotting diagram.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd keep looking.

http://www.highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=view-id-diamond-infinity&id=571
30.gif

hercules1

Rough_Rock

Thanks for all the advice. I knew I wasn''t getting the greatest stone, but I was comfortable with that fact.

But how much more, in your opinion, would something that is better cut cost?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/12/2009 3:24:53 PM
Author: hercules1

Thanks for all the advice. I knew I wasn''t getting the greatest stone, but I was comfortable with that fact.

But how much more, in your opinion, would something that is better cut cost?

That is a gorgeous diamond Gypsy linked, if it is available then definitely check it out.

Pricing, you can search for similar to get an idea using the Pricescope your Diamond tool above and use the search by cut feature.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results