shape
carat
color
clarity

Need advice: what can I do about errors in ring project

fantasyxy

Rough_Rock
Hello all, I don't know what's wrong with my karma but while everybody else's experience with Brian Gavin Diamonds are wonderful, I've been having a less smooth experience so far. We ordered a five stone ring; there was some small incidents about a purchased diamond turned out to be gone already and delayed processing (not custom-made, delayed for 10 days; wasn't told why, but they've been very polite in responses). I got it today; it's very beautiful indeed, but the problem is: the diamond, the setting, and the bezel side stone; none of them match with what I ordered........I am not mad, but am very perplexed, and troubled about what to do now

First I have a question: Does BGD ring come with an independent appraisal document? There doesn't seem to be one in my box. Because it's a five-stone, and perhaps I am too obsessive, I don't know which one's which ....I searched this forum and people have mentioned that there should be an evaluation sheet?
Three "errors": I ordered SALLy with knife edge but what's come is a Nightingale; I ordered pink sapphire bezel but it has come in diamond melee; I ordered five H colors, but there is an F which I did not order. I understand that F must be more expensive, but I felt I should be told of the exchange (probably the one that I ordered was also gone at the time of processing). -- My naked eye couldn't tell which one's F among the five; I suppose they would put it in the middle, but the fact that there's no evaluation/appraisal document makes me wonder..... I checked the website just now and this F that is now in my hand is still listed on website.

Has anyone ever encountered that before? I start wondering if some exceptional circumstances took place in the manufacturing process, esp. because of the unexpected delay for more than once; but perhaps I'm just being paranoid.

My current problem is that I am leaving the country in a week, and my fiance is leaving soon too; we are supposed to have the ring when we went back to our home country for photos and engagement ceremony etc. That makes a return and re-do a headache.

The ring is absolutely beautiful, but it was just not what I had in mind. What should I do now? Fiance suggests keeping it as it is and ask for some compensation; I don't know if it can ever be done that way and honestly am reluctant to ask. I still wanted what I had ordered, yet I would hate waiting for another month or two. We will want to call them later today, but I don't know what kind of solution could be sought.
To be fair, the salesperson that we delt with in BGD are absolutely kind; I just don't know how this could have happened :confused:

Your advice is appreciated. And since I didn't get an evaluation sheet in the package, would I have to send it back to them to have an evaluation/appraisal document? I wanted to know which stone's which and some verification of the setting metal and value, also for future insurance purpose.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
How ... odd. I don't think I've ever heard of such a thing coming out of BGD! Given the sheer number of things that are off, I'm thinking your order got switched with somebody else's, and right now, they're opening a box and going, "Wait, where's my Nightingale?" Call them and see - maybe they can pay for express shipping and get your ring to you in time?

ChloeTheGreat

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with Circe. It sure sounds like your order has been switched! I am sure this must be frustrating, especially with your time constraints. Best of luck, I hope you are able to get YOUR ring soon.

fantasyxy

Rough_Rock
I thought about that as a possibility too; the ring was supposed to be shipped two days ago and arriving yesterday; we even got a tracking number; then the next morning (a day ago) suddenly got an email saying that engraving was not done, so we waited another day and got a different tracking number. Glamor shots are supposed to be arriving (at first yesterday, then today) too but not in email yet ... what are the chances~ It's my size though ~

fantasyxy

Rough_Rock
Thanks Circe and Chole, if it's indeed a switch, it sounds like we should return it so the right person has it (right now it's engraved with our words though); I'll ask about expediated shipping return (but wouldn't it take them some days for their inspection dept. to ensure that it is the ring that they shipped to me too?); hate going to the post office for return too but if it's a switch then perhaps it wouldn't take too long for me to get the right one.
I wish I would have that one-in-a-million chance in getting a lottery reward too :!:

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I don't think it comes with a letter of verification unless you specifically request it. I would definitely call them and see what's up though.

300GCP

Rough_Rock
I had a bad experience with them too in that they kept promising me a quote over and over again and never sent it. To this day they have never sent despite repeated e-mails promising that I would get it the next day.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would definitely call them. Due to your time restrictions I would think they would do everything possible to get this corrected as soon as possible. I'm sure it is beautiful but it's not what your ordered and you should have exactly what your ordered and not have to settle for anything less.

fantasyxy

Rough_Rock
Thank you all; called them and it is correct that they don't normally send out independent appraisal letters. It's probably a very busy season for them. They said we could ship it back to have it remade. Now it's perhaps between me and my fiance to discuss whether we should send it back or seek other ways of making this up; It's odd~

ChloeTheGreat

Brilliant_Rock
fantasyxy|1307564234|2940943 said:
Thank you all; called them and it is correct that they don't normally send out independent appraisal letters. It's probably a very busy season for them. They said we could ship it back to have it remade. Now it's perhaps between me and my fiance to discuss whether we should send it back or seek other ways of making this up; It's odd~

Are they not acknowledging the fact that this is not the ring you ordered? This is all very strange. It seems like they would want to fix the issue...

wreckem

Rough_Rock

How far have you escalated this/who have you talked to? Ask to speak to Brian or Leslie if you haven't already.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
... this shouldn't be a particularly busy season for a jeweler, not by any schedule I'm aware of, and even if they're swamped with orders, it is bad idea jeans to send the wrong ring to a customer on a deadline and not do anything to make amends. I am hoping that one of their reps will see this thread, but in case they don't, I'd recommend contacting them again, and maybe being a little more ... forceful. I know it can be difficult if you normally have a reticent personality, but stating that you're unhappy and you want things fixed, and then telling them how tends to get results.

So, in an ideal world - would you want them to ship a remade ring to your eventual destination, tout de suite? If the ring has grown on you, would you be satisfied keeping it, and getting, I don't know, some kind of consideration on your eventual wedding rings? Are you unhappy enough to just want to return it? Whatever you want, be specific, and be persistent until you get it.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is really odd, and unusual for BGD. I would tell them your predicament. I am not sure you will get any kind of compensation
since they are willing to remake it for you, but they might be able to rush it and pay for any costs you would incur.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Call them and work out a solution. It is odd.

When you order a suite of diamonds, like your five stone or in my case it was earrings, it is not uncommon to simply recieve the ring/earrings and the lab reports, but no other informatione. Even an insurnce appraisal from the vendor would not necessarily identify which stone was which in the ring. It is up to you to take the ring to an appraiser if you want to know which stone is which! I don't know which stone is which in my earrings either.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

This is - a really strange situation.

Ditto Circe, Dreamer - call them, talk to Brian or Lesley, explain exactly what you want done - don't be coy, just tell them what you want (remade with free expedited shipping both ways? some monetary compensation for the piece? some monetary compensation on a future purchase?) and discuss whatever they come back with. I honestly am wondering about the turnaround - if you're leaving in a week, well, that leaves *very* little time to get everything done - easiest way would be to buy another ring and ensure that it's on the bench whilst this one is in the mail back to them... but of course that involves buying another ring and waiting for the refund! Talk to BGD.

fantasyxy

Rough_Rock
Thank you all; they did acknowledge those are their errors; this case is just quite surprising given that there were aleady delays and missing engravings before this arrival. Brian is supposed to be back on Friday so we will hear options only then.
I am leaving in 10 days. -- To be fair I didn't tell them there was a deadline when I first ordered, but I ordered on May 15th and was told that it would arrive in two weeks (before 29th) then, and I thought, plenty of time before June 19th ~
They did say if I were to pursue the option of shipping it back and and have them make the right setting and sapphires, they would ensure the right item will be delivered before that date, but I am a little hesistant to that option now, given the previous delay and visiting that fedex location is not convenient on a anytime any day basis. They also said they could ship it to China where I was to go to, but thinking of the international shipping problems in China and the Customs for almost sure-to-be delays there and taxes they might impose, that would be the last thing I want.

I think it's a matter of I sorting out what I want to do now. They sound that they do understand our frustration and I understand what they say about peopel all occasionally make errors. Should I figure that all clearly myself and put forward request, see if they grant them, or wait till Friday, having them give me the options first and decide then? Not trying to be coy but wasn't experienced in this sort of things.

That said I wouldn't think it's the their common pattern given great responses I see here. Perhaps because of the good price, good diamonds and the way that they communicate with us, I still have an unexplainable 'liking' for them and am recommending them to friends even today. But I still need a place to 'vent' -- thought I would be posting pictures here today, so now I'm using this forum for a different purpose .........

Perhaps people can learn from my experience that even when estimate arrival is two weeks, one should make one-month deadlines known to vendors.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
You are not the only one who had bad experiences with BGD. Every vendor probably has their screw ups .. it is unfortunate though given your time restrictions. I have learnt to always give double the time :razz:

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
I am also finding BGD frustrating. I have been corresponding with them for over 4 weeks about a pendant project and I have had to send email prompts for replies the last two times - I sent THREE emails in a row before receiving a reply to my most recent email (the reply came after 12 days). It took me over 2 weeks to receive quotes even after specifically asking for them, and now I am waiting for an invoice.

They have been perfectly pleasant and apologetic in all the emails, but I don't feel that this is decent customer service. It is a shame as it is my first project with them and I am kind of thinking that if this is indicative, I probably wouldn't order with them again. I have never waited that long for responses during my correspondences with LM, ERD, JA, GOG or WF.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
My fastest responses come from Leon and WF followed by ERD then GOG. Leon and WF are blazing fast and very efficient.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would probably give them a chance to make it right and rush it to you. Last week was the big jewelry show in vegas and many jewelers were out of town. I do believe they really do want make it right and for you to be happy!! Mistakes happen with every vendor but it's how they rectify it that counts so I'd give them a chance to do it. Then you can go from there. definitely talk to Brian on friday as well.

300GCP

Rough_Rock
pancake|1307615995|2941484 said:
I am also finding BGD frustrating. I have been corresponding with them for over 4 weeks about a pendant project and I have had to send email prompts for replies the last two times - I sent THREE emails in a row before receiving a reply to my most recent email (the reply came after 12 days). It took me over 2 weeks to receive quotes even after specifically asking for them, and now I am waiting for an invoice.

They have been perfectly pleasant and apologetic in all the emails, but I don't feel that this is decent customer service. It is a shame as it is my first project with them and I am kind of thinking that if this is indicative, I probably wouldn't order with them again. I have never waited that long for responses during my correspondences with LM, ERD, JA, GOG or WF.

This is very similar to my situation. I was waiting for a quote on earrings and a necklace and to date have never received it after 4 or 5 email prompts from me asking when I will get it. Last I heard was that I would definitely get the quote over Memorial Day weekend. Still nothing. It doesn' t matter now, though, because I won't use them for this at this point with the communication problems.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maybe they can agree to let you keep this one until after your trip to your home country and then have a delayed exchange (for what you ordered) process when you return.

fantasyxy

Rough_Rock
Thanks all. I've questioned if I am being too picky since Nightingale and SALLY isn't that different from the top view, but for some reason I still prefer to have a knife edge. Some elements that I want are missing in this one. We've communicated some thoughts with Denise and will see what they say tomorrow after Brian's back. -- sorry, is this Brian the funder Brian Gavin himself or a different Brian?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
fantasyxy|1307632248|2941646 said:
Thanks all. I've questioned if I am being too picky since Nightingale and SALLY isn't that different from the top view, but for some reason I still prefer to have a knife edge. Some elements that I want are missing in this one. We've communicated some thoughts with Denise and will see what they say tomorrow after Brian's back. -- sorry, is this Brian the funder Brian Gavin himself or a different Brian?

It is Brain Gavin :)) BGD has a small operation. Basically it is Brian and Lesley, who are husband and wife and partners who started the company together, and then two people to help with the phones and customer service.

fantasyxy

Rough_Rock
Dreamer_D|1307632448|2941650 said:
It is Brain Gavin :)) BGD has a small operation. Basically it is Brian and Lesley, who are husband and wife and partners who started the company together, and then two people to help with the phones and customer service.

Thanks Dreamer; I guessed that it could be a small operation; that's good; makes me feel that things are not mass-produced and are more unique and personal; I'm gonna ask what they could do.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
fantasyxy|1307642686|2941789 said:
Dreamer_D|1307632448|2941650 said:

Thanks Dreamer; I guessed that it could be a small operation; that's good; makes me feel that things are not mass-produced and are more unique and personal; I'm gonna ask what they could do.

Of course they have trusted CAD designers and bench people who help make the rings too I think, though Brian is actively involved in design from what I have heard as well. And I think some of their kids help too :)) But I would certainly not describe their operation as "mass produced" by any stretch, based on what I know!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock

Why are you bothering with emails? Why not call them?

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
Time difference. I'm in Australia and work long hours.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
swingirl|1307644441|2941823 said:

Why are you bothering with emails? Why not call them?

Not everyone likes or is able to use the phone, what with time zone differences and work. I have had the same experience with them and answering e-mails. I understand they are very busy, but they really need to have someone answering e-mails more often.

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
My other annoyance is that it is clear to them that my emails are not just some dalliance where I am looking but not buying - they have had my diamond for almost a month!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results