shape
carat
color
clarity

Need advice - V.G. vs. Sig. Ideal cut

w01f

Rough_Rock
I am looking to purchase an engagement ring online and have narrowed down to 2 princess cut diamonds... however I am not sure which would be "better" overall as they are each within $15 price-wise; As they will be purchased online I cannot visually check them and want to make sure the diamond i settle for will be the better of the two.

Diamonds are as flws:

DIAMOND #1

AGSL Cert
0.54 ct
CUT - V.G.
COLOR - I
CLARITY - VS2
DEPTH - 74.8%
TABLE - 61.9%
SYM - IDEAL
POLISH - IDEAL
GRIDLE - SLT THICK TO SLT THICK
CULET - NONE
FLUO - NONE
L/W RATIO - 1.01

DIAMOND #2

GIL cert
0.51 ct
CUT - SIG. IDEAL
COLOR - I
CLARITY - VVS2
DEPTH - 69.2 %
TABLE - 72.0 %
SYM - EX
POLISH - EX
GRIDLE - SLT THICK TO THICK
CULET - NONE
FLUO - NONE
L/W RATIO - 1.01

I am leaning towards diamond #2 as the cut is "better" however with the polish/symmetry make a difference... the difference in girdle i am thinking doesn''t matter as much.

Appreciate any opinions and/or information anyone may have!!!

Thanks!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can you post the exact carat weight and report number for the AGS stone? Never heard of a GIL lab.

Who is selling it, to call a stone signature ideal?

w01f

Rough_Rock
Both stones are available from blue-nile...
Also FWIW the GIA stands for Gemological Institute of America, also the 2nd diamond comes with a GCAL cert (basically blue-nile cert which states it is Sig. Ideal)

And need to make a correction; blue-nile shows the 0.54 as V.G. however AGS shows it as Ideal.
(Also updated ct wt)

DIAMOND #1

AGSL Cert
0.541 ct
CUT - IDEAL
COLOR - I
CLARITY - VS2
DEPTH - 74.8%
TABLE - 61.9%
SYM - IDEAL
POLISH - IDEAL
GRIDLE - SLT THICK TO SLT THICK
CULET - NONE
FLUO - NONE
L/W RATIO - 1.01

DIAMOND #2

GIL cert & GCAL cert
0.510 ct
CUT - SIG. IDEAL
COLOR - I
CLARITY - VVS2
DEPTH - 69.2 %
TABLE - 72.0 %
SYM - EX
POLISH - EX
CULET - NONE
FLUO - NONE
L/W RATIO - 1.01 (shown as 1.00 on GCAL cert)

Oddly enough i noticed the GIA cert does NOT show any "cut" rating... it is only available on the GCAL...

I think this makes up my mind and I will go for the Diamond #1....

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
You keep writing the #2 stone as graded by GIL.

Anyway, GIA does not grade the cut performance of a princess. GCAL grades the cut performance based on proportion, I think using the AGA proportion.

AGS is the only lab that grades the cut performance of a princess. BN does not give any princess a grade of Signature Ideal, there is no ideal grade for them in the princess, unless it is their in-house stone, so those stone graded by AGS got dumped into the VG range even though most if not all will perform as well as the signature ideal, if the report is a Platinum/Diamond Quality Document.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would take the AGSL because AGS is the only lab currently offering a standardidez cut quality rating for pricess cuts. Is the diamond an AGS 0 [zero] for cut grade? If it is, I would take it.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/3/2010 1:00:37 PM
Author: w01f

GIL cert & GCAL cert
0.510 ct
CUT - SIG. IDEAL
COLOR - I
CLARITY - VVS2
DEPTH - 69.2 %
TABLE - 72.0 %
SYM - EX
POLISH - EX
CULET - NONE
FLUO - NONE
L/W RATIO - 1.01 (shown as 1.00 on GCAL cert)
I assume you mean GIA here. Stone knows what GIA is
4.gif

w01f

Rough_Rock
Damn, yes sorry guys GIL = GIA... don''t know how i did that one......

And yes the cut is "0", i do believe I will go for #2 in any case, thank you all for replies!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good coice. If buying a princess totally sight unseen, as from BN, then it is best to stick with AGS who provide cut quality grading. The alternative is to work with a vendor who can take photos and ASET images of the diamond and provide additional information to help assess cut quality.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok, now I am confuse again.

Are you going for the BN Signature Ideal or the AGS0 stone?

jpzc04

Rough_Rock
If I had to choose based on numbers and certification alone, I would go with the AGS-0 diamond (1st one you listed). It is a "safer" choice given AGS is the only lab providing standardized cut grades for fancy shapes, as dreamer mentioned. I am a little wary of the second one given that the table is larger than the depth. Hope this helps some.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/3/2010 3:14:05 PM
Author: dreamer_d
Good coice. If buying a princess totally sight unseen, as from BN, then it is best to stick with AGS who provide cut quality grading. The alternative is to work with a vendor who can take photos and ASET images of the diamond and provide additional information to help assess cut quality.
Whoops, my error, I thought number two was the AGS.

So, I take it all back. I would buy the AGS stone NOT the GIA which is totally unknown cut quality.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results