shape
carat
color
clarity

Need advice upcoming $10k diamond purchase

Metrix1234

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

I would first like to thank all of you for providing so much useful information. I have been educating myself about diamonds for about three months now and am FINALLY ready to make a purchase (and to propose). I want to make my purchase this week, and have already selected a stone, but I would really like this forums opinion on the stone that I have selected.

My stone and ring selection are as follows:
- this diamond
- this setting
Total Price: ~$11,000

Please give me your thoughts on these questions:
1. What are the pros/cons of this diamond?
2. For the price and carat size, are there better stones I could be purchasing?​

I have attached the images from Whiteflash below, any helpful comments would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!

screen_shot_2016-10-25_at_8.png
screen_shot_2016-10-25_at_8_1.png screen_shot_2016-10-25_at_8_0.png screen_shot_2016-10-25_at_8_3.png

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Stone is great, setting is not. There is too much of a gap that is going to occur with a wedding band. Very bulky gallery.

Pick another.

I don't like any of WF's 6 prongs personally.

BGD is in Houston as well. I'd have them make you a setting and then send it to WF and WF set the stone into it personally.

Here are the 6 prongs they have, in order of preference.
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/freya-platinum-5985p
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/classic-style-half-round-platinum-5478p
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/legera-six-prong-platinum-6665p

Metrix1234

Rough_Rock
Gypsy,

Thanks for the comment! I have been a little worried about the diamond - looking at the diamond certificate you see a bunch of small inclusions but the rep at WF personally looked at it in store and said this was the best out of the three I picked.

As to the setting, a kinda see what you mean. The setting I currently have kinda sits very high on the ring? I have been worried that it might snag on things. Your top pick at BG is nice, but do you think it would be a big hassle to get the diamond and setting at different places? I am not completely set on a 6 prong setting, I just want something that highlights the ring the best. The main reason of 6 prong over 4 prong is I kinda worry about losing the diamond with a 4 prong - is that a big issue with 4 prong settings? Are there other settings you like in WF?

Thanks Again

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great questions!

1. No, it's not at all a difficult thing to order the setting from BGD (you would send them your stone's lab report) and have them make the setting and then send it to WF. WF will set the stone, and insure it during the process. The only concern is that any warranty BGD might provide on the setting would be voided. But as it is only a 1 year warranty and you will have the ring insured anyway it would not be a big deal.

2. If you want a low setting have you considered a half bezel? Personal favorite is from Sholdt: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-sholdt-semi-bezel-with-1-23ct-bgd-signature-h-a.139091/page-3']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-sholdt-semi-bezel-with-1-23ct-bgd-signature-h-a.139091/page-3[/URL] BGD carries Sholdt. You would have to insure the stone through Jewelers Mutual and have it sent to BGD, who would send it to Sholdt themselves for setting with a semi bezel though. A full bezel is also fabulous.

3. There are many threads on the safety of 4 prongs versus 6, and you can search for them and read them. What it comes down to is this though, how hard are you on your rings. How good are you about checking your prongs with a loupe at home periodically? It really depends on you.

4. I like these plain solitaire settings from WF, again in order of personal preference:
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/comfort-fit-surprise-diamond-ring-183.htm
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/caroline-solitaire-engagement-ring-by-vatche-251.htm
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/legato-sleek-line-solitaire-engagement-ring-728.htm

Metrix1234

Rough_Rock
Gypsy,

I do really like the 6 prong setting you picked out. I have one issue, I need to have my ring in hand by Dec 2, so any sort of delay would probably be very risky. So I think the options I have is either finding a setting at WF or finding a similar diamond at BGD. Could you help me find a diamond similar to what I found? I would like something 1.2 - 1.5 carats with as best quality as possible. Color can go as low as a J. Something very eye clean that is in the super ideal category. The WF rep said the stone I picked looks more I than J, I know thats probably hard to tell from images online, but thats something that would be nice.

One the other end, the WF settings you recommended seem a little too minimalistic. Do you have any other recommendations? Maybe a solitaire that is pave around the ring? I've also thought about halos, but I think it might take away from the center diamond too much. What are your thoughts?

Thanks so much for your help!

Joshua

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Metrix1234|1477498357|4090728 said:
One the other end, the WF settings you recommended seem a little too minimalistic. Do you have any other recommendations? Maybe a solitaire that is pave around the ring? I've also thought about halos, but I think it might take away from the center diamond too much. What are your thoughts?

Just so you know, the legato sleekline also has a diamond version that is SUPER pretty! http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/legato-sleek-line-pave-diamond-engagement-ring-1120.htm#size=6

Metrix1234

Rough_Rock
That is a very nice ring ac117. Still not sure I am sold on 4 Prong... I really like these four prongs:

screen_shot_2016-10-26_at_1_0.png

screen_shot_2016-10-26_at_1.png

The bottom one would require me to find a new diamond from Good Old Gold though. The WF one could work. What do yall think?

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is it about those prongs that you like better? Only asking because those are computer images so I'm trying to understand what about them appeals to you more. If it's the delicacy of them, you could ask WF for 'delicate claw prongs' on the Legato Sleekline setting, which will flow nicely. Scroll down to recently purchased to see actual images of completed rings (with diamonds of different sizes) and you'll see how small they are!

Metrix1234

Rough_Rock
I guess I missed that section that showed recently purchased examples. I wasnt talking about the 4 prong you showed me specifically, just 4 prongs in general.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah ok ! Well, do you know what SHE prefers? My DH originally got me a 4 prong setting bc HE thinks it 'showcases the diamond better' (the prongs were also really large, which I didn't like)...I love 6 prongs bc it emphasizes the round shape...when I upgraded my diamond and had to change out the old head, guess what I changed to? Yup, 6 prongs! So while I agree with you in liking 6 prong settings, I'd advise you to go with what she likes. Does she have a Pinterest board where you might be able to get an idea?

Metrix1234

Rough_Rock
She wants to be completely surprised.... So I have no idea what she wants. I mean I kinda have an idea, but just from what I think she would like... I haven't gotten any hints from her. I know she has a secret pinterest board with this stuff, but its not public. I was thinking of asking her friend.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Metrix1234|1477516329|4090882 said:
She wants to be completely surprised.... So I have no idea what she wants. I mean I kinda have an idea, but just from what I think she would like... I haven't gotten any hints from her. I know she has a secret pinterest board with this stuff, but its not public. I was thinking of asking her friend.

DEFINITELY ask her friend if you know she has a secret Pinterest board! I get her wanting to be surprised, but don't you want her to be surprised with something she loves? This is something she is going to wear and look at every day.

Timm

Rough_Rock
I know my girl wants to be surprised as well, but I still can't help worrying if I will be able to get her something that she will like and I'm dedicating the next few days to finding out what she likes before I start shopping around. I have to think up all sorts of covert ways to get answers from her.

Metrix1234

Rough_Rock
I ended up texting her best friend yesterday. Apparently she likes one of her friend's rings so I'm waiting for her to send me a pic... I think she is wanting a more antique-looking setting.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Metrix1234

Rough_Rock
Ok! I have some new information... The image below is of a friend's diamond she really likes. I dont think I can afford a 3 stone ring, but I think we can work with the general style she is looking for. Does anyone have suggestions?

picture.jpg

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you know whether she "likes her" friend's ring or she "wants a ring" like her friend's ring?

Metrix1234

Rough_Rock
Her friend said,

She likes pretty simple not too tall or big. I think she liked my friend Lisa's ring (above)

This is the ring Maria really liked (above). A more romantic antique look.

I just realized on three-stone rings, you are only buying the main stone - not three! So this could be an option, among other antique/romantic looking rings - whatever that means.

Josh

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay so. That is... less helpful than you'd think.

A) it's not a 3 carat stone. It's probably 3 ctw. Completely different thing.

B) WHAT does she like about it?
a) Finger coverage?
b) halo
c) three stone halo
d) ovals

You need to take her shopping. Seriously. This is a 10k purchase.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here's my suggestion: TALK TO HER.

Explain that she will get her surprise. But you are spending a lot of money on something she will look at every day for the rest of her life and you want to make sure that she smiles, not just because you gave it to her, but because she genuinely loves it.

Metrix1234

Rough_Rock
I definitely get what you're saying Gyspy, but I would rather put 110% effort and try to figure out what she would like than ruin the surprise. I mean thats why there is a 30-day no questions asked return policy right? After I propose, I will let her know that if she doesn't absolutely love it, we can exchange it.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The 30 day is only if you don't go custom and/or you get the setting and the stone in the same place. And you are probably going to be looking at custom or getting the stone and setting from different places.

Here's what you do. Have her girlfriend show her these pictures. Have her pick her top three.

_38496.jpg

_38497.jpg

_38498.jpg

sdva580beng.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
And these:

5982w18-2.jpg

5981w18-8.jpg

_38499.jpg

_38500.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
And these.

_38501.jpg

_38502.jpg

Sagefemme

Shiny_Rock
You MUST somehow get a look at her Pinterest account, or start including her in the planning. You can see that the "friend's ring she really likes" has no relationship whatsoever to the setting you were planning on (in your first post). It's also difficult to understand her friend saying she likes "simple" when the friend's ring is the opposite of simple. You are making your job nearly impossible by trying to have a complete surprise. Gotta get more detailed intel!!

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sagefemme said:
You MUST somehow get a look at her Pinterest account, or start including her in the planning. You can see that the "friend's ring she really likes" has no relationship whatsoever to the setting you were planning on (in your first post). It's also difficult to understand her friend saying she likes "simple" when the friend's ring is the opposite of simple. You are making your job nearly impossible by trying to have a complete surprise. Gotta get more detailed intel!!

absolutely this!! My BFF has a 'secret' pinterest board that i have access to! Ask her BFF or sister for screenshots of her pinterest board. i LIKE some of my friends rings but my taste is TOTALLY different from theirs. You can always ask her sister or bff to plan a shopping trip and haul her into a jewelry store just "on a whim" and have them both try on rings to try and get her sense of style and it may open up a discussion with her friend about what she prefers. She may be surprised at what looks good on her and what doesn't. I love 3 stone rings but they look pretty awful on me, as do rounds. Be smart, be sneaky. :naughty:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know society makes it sound like the proposal is some huge right of passage for men with all kinds of rules. That they have to magically know what the perfect ring is, buy it, and propose and make it a big to do.

The fact is that's Disney. Men are not mind readers. And when you are spending a large amount of money on an item you want to do all the research possible. Especially when it is a gift for someone else that they are expected to wear EVERY DAY for the rest of their lives.

The RING doesn't have to be a surprise. You can have a surprise proposal, have it be special and wonderful, without a surprise ring. She's talked to you about rings. So she knows she is probably going to get one. Surprise over.

So take your lady down to your local jewelry store. Make a romantic date of it. Go to a nice lunch. And have her try on rings. Decide what is right for her, get measured for ring size.

That's reality. That's marriage. And that's what you are contemplating. You aren't a child, so forget Disney and it's dictates.

The proposal can still be a complete surprise. And it WILL be special for one simple reason: it will be ONCE in a lifetime event for you both. And it will still be amazing.

Okay?

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
Metrix, please consider Gypsy's advice. She really knows what she's talking about and has helped countless posters here on Pricescope.

I'd like to reiterate: just because your girlfriend likes her friend's ring, that doesn't mean she necessarily wants the same style for herself. On one hand, you said she wants something simple, yet the photo of her friend's ring is not. So I think some clarification is needed there.

A surprise is nice if it works out. If not..... :(( Changing a ring after you've purchased may not be possible, as others mentioned, if it is custom. Also, if your girlfriend doesn't like it, she may not want to be frank with you for fear of hurting your feelings. She'll been wearing this ring every day for a long time, so it's important that she like it.

Many years ago my future husband and I went shopping for my engagement ring, and it was a romantic experience, even though the ring itself was not a surprise. At first even I didn't know what I wanted, until trying various rings. Many people here on PS have been uncertain about the style of ring they wanted. It's hard enough deciding for oneself, never mind for another person.

I finally narrowed my choice down to two, and the final decision took a few days. But now I've had my ring for over forty years, and I've never tired of it!

Best wishes on your engagement and good luck with ring shopping.

indigoblue

Shiny_Rock
You could propose with just the diamond. Then you could involve her in the entire process of picking out the setting.

Or you can pick out the diamond, and then let her decide on the setting. Even if she picks it out and knows what it will look like, she won't know exactly when you will pop the question. Seeing the finished ring for the first time is always special. She will REALLY be delighted when you propose and open the box.

Metrix1234

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for the help. I have decided to go with the following ring and diamond combo:

diamond

ring

I have thought it over long and hard. She is very traditional, so she would never want to shop together for the ring. I think she honestly would be happy with any ring I gave her. That being said, of course I want her to have exactly what she wants, but she doesn't have exact specifications, if she did, she would have taken up my offer months ago to go pick one out. I havent made this decision lightly, Ive tried to consider every possible option to what she would like. Unfortunately, as you all can attest to, her friend was little to no help. The only information you can pull from it is that she likes more eleborate rings. So I ended up changing my original setting choice to match the new information.

Now of course if she doesn't absolutely love it I wouldnt be hurt if she wanted to change it (I called WF to make sure I would receive a full refund exhange if I needed it within the 30 days). I know it would be easier for her to tell me what she wants, but its like receiving a Christmas present that you told someone to buy for you - its not the same. So I went with the best choice I thought she will love, and if she doesnt love it, THEN we can pick one out together.

Thank again for the help!

Josh

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results