carat
color
clarity

Need advice to test an engraved gold band

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey folks,

I have a total newbie dilemma. I bought this ring sold to me as 10k and diamonds but every one of these rings in this style I have seen has been 18k. If you look at the pictures it looks like one of the pilot holes for a diamond is obstructing the hallmark. Of course I paid the 10K price and if it turned out to be that it's totally fine since I bought for the aesthetic, I mean just look at how crispy that engraving is :kiss2:

So I will have to test it, I do not have a gold testing kit but I have a trusted person I can bring it to. My concern is doing this scratch test on an engraved band where is the best most inconspicuous place to take the sample? I was thinking the edge although I think there is milgrain there. Is there any alternative to the scratch test?

Also, because I like to make my life as complicated as possible, it is about 1/2-1 size too big. I know resizing on these types of bands is not recommended but if I am going down is it possible to resize without interrupting the pattern too badly? I could do sizing beads but I don't think they will take up enough room. Of course I could always sell it :twisted2:

TIA for any and all help!

IMG_1691.jpg IMG_1683.jpg IMG_1689.jpg IMG_1690.jpg IMG_1691.jpg

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmmm, that milgrain may be a problem. The testing removes some gold from the piece, and usually it is not noticable. But with this band, I wouldn't want any detailing to be compromised.
I'd just assume it's 18k.
I had the same dilemma with a white gold and sapphire ring that I bought a while ago. The mark was very hard to read, and the tag from the dealer said 10k. And, like you, every ring I had seen (and believe me, I surfed hundreds on Ebay) in that style was 18k. So when I tested it, sure enough, it was 18k.
I got my test kit from Amazon, it was about $15. It has certainly come in handy!

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous ring! I’d take it to a jeweller who uses a machine to test rather than chemicals. Also, I’d wear it as a stack ring or at least paired with one other band, in which case sizing it is less necessary if you see what I mean. So essentially I’m gushing that your ring is perfect! Congratulations on it!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a gold testing kit, the liquid type. What I do is scrape the item being tested onto the test plate, obviously this is taking a minuscule amount of gold off the item and drop the liquids (s) onto the scrapes. If the mark disappears it’s lower gold that the fluid used. So if you use a 14kt fluid, 10kt will quickly disappear, 14kt will go fainter and higher will not change a bit.
You have to be careful with gold fill items, they can have a thicker gold covering than just gold plated so it may not show wear, though generally such items will be attracted to the neo magnet as well - helps ID.
Some places have the tip pen thing (more expensive to buy), same idea as the liquids.
You aren’t supposed to put any of the test liquids onto the actual item !

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000 isnt it a hoot to pay for the lower karat and have it come out higher?! A first it seemed like not having one of those testing kits is a setback but in this case I just don't see how I can test it without causing damage. Better to just go with the gut and leave it alone as you say.

@InsecureSweetGirl thanks so much for the nice compliment, I just happen to come across it and thought there is no way that it was 10K and that it had been worn much being in that condition. I am definitely going to see if I can just stack it but if not I'll probably do the sizing beads because they really make such a difference in fit.

Thanks @Bron357 If I can find a place with the tip pen would they be able to take a sample inside the band? That would really be ideal.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
"isnt it a hoot to pay for the lower karat and have it come out higher?!"

Haha, I live for this!
Yes, sometimes I think I know more than the seller!:lol-2::P2:lol:
Not that I'm so smart or anything, it's just that I surf Ebay non-stop, and after looking at jewelry for 50 years, I have a gut feeling about some things.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty pattern on the engraving.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @kgizo, love your avatar :kiss2:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
09D473F8-606C-4B19-A81A-FFA3E270BE48.jpeg
@stracci2000 isnt it a hoot to pay for the lower karat and have it come out higher?! A first it seemed like not having one of those testing kits is a setback but in this case I just don't see how I can test it without causing damage. Better to just go with the gut and leave it alone as you say.

@InsecureSweetGirl thanks so much for the nice compliment, I just happen to come across it and thought there is no way that it was 10K and that it had been worn much being in that condition. I am definitely going to see if I can just stack it but if not I'll probably do the sizing beads because they really make such a difference in fit.

Thanks @Bron357 If I can find a place with the tip pen would they be able to take a sample inside the band? That would really be ideal.
My experience is that a better pawnshop or Gold buyer would have one. I think they are over $1,000 to buy so not everyone will have one.
The best one is by Gemoro and is called AuRACLE. (Photo)

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results