shape
carat
color
clarity

Need advice re Blue Nile princess ASAP

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
I just received a phone call asking for diamond advice from my fiance and his buddy who are on a golf course in Las Vegas at another friend''s bachelor party. Apparently the buddy just ordered a princess cut from Blue Nile, but it hasn''t shipped yet. The other guys started giving him a hard time for ordering from Blue Nile, so my guy called me because he thinks I''m an expert on diamonds now. Unfortunately, I know very little about princess cuts so I would appreciate some advice from the PS experts.

This is all the info I have on the Blue Nile stone (I know you need more #s to give better advice, but this is all the info the guy could remember standing on the golf course):

2.33 carats, H, VS1, Table 67, Depth 74-75, 1.06 length-to-width ratio, $13,300 (= $5708/carat)

Based on the information available, is this an okay deal?

I tried searching for comparables online. GOG and Superbcert did not have any princesses listed in the 2.0 to 2.5 carat range. DBOF does not seem to have an online search feature, and I did not want to send an email inquiry since it is not for me. I found these two at Whiteflash:

#1 2.41 Ct, H, VS1, T: 77, D: 72.2, 1.03 l/w ratio, $14,804 ($6142/ct)

#2 2.28, H, VS2, T: 73 D: 65.4, 1.07 l/w ratio, $13,203 ($5765/ct)

Based on these 2 comparables, the price per carat at Blue Nile does not seem out of line, but I do not know enough to be able to compare the cuts.

Any advice regarding the price or cut of the Blue Nile stone would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if there are other places to look for 2+ carat, well cut princess stones.

Rand_alThor

Rough_Rock
try usacerteddiamonds or buydiamondsdirect as well!!! They usually have great prices.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 2/6/2004 6:03:16 PM Rand_alThor wrote:

try usacerteddiamonds or buydiamondsdirect as well!!! They usually have great prices.
----------------

Thanks, but they did not have any 2-2.5 carat princesses listed either.

Can anyone else comment on this stone, please?

fuffi

Shiny_Rock
I'll take a stab at it Kay. I don't think the price is out of line at all, but there is really not enough info to make a good decision. I would want L/W/D measurements, crown height % and girdle info as well as symmetry and polish. Does he realize it will look a bit rectangular? Also, which lab is the cert from?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not enuogh info... actually, i have enough right there to pass all three. What's with that over 70% depth in them all? With that kind of burrowing tip, either of the three could well keep a golf ball in balance
2.gif
Some better specs could achieve that size with much less "material" and better optics... just a thought.

9.gif
Sorry....

PS: not knowing the extra measures, it is much more likely that their initial stone would look better and get a better note on cut, 'cause of the smaller table. The other two have it way too big. I trully belive that they should put a bit more time into this, or let you contact sellers about better options, if cut is really a concern. Their stone could be a winner - unless they mind that 75%, juts like I do
11.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BTW: their stone should be just as big as a 2 carat one with 68% depth, if this means anything.

Did you see the #5932333 at Abazias? And #6433150

Not too many specs available there either, but if it is about options, I would still ask the guys if it can wait a bit to get appropriate info on two worthy contenders (better color and size, at least).

If they want an example of what a nice princess cut might look like... how about this small one .

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results