shape
carat
color
clarity

Need advice (quick) --- Newbie (G vs. F)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sparkle

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I need to make a decision between two diamonds. Here's the deal...

Diamond 1: .53 F SI2
Diamond 2: .51 G SI2

They both are round brilliant cuts (amazing sparkle). Diamond 1 is $600 more than Diamond 2. Is Diamond 1 worth it?

Thanks!!!

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Look at them side by side. Do you see a difference in color? If not then save $600 :)

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I'd go #2 if it is well cut.

jeasher

Rough_Rock
You should probably save the $600 unless you see something when comparing the two. You might also want to consider where the inclusions are (are they hidden by the setting?) and if there is a discernable difference between the cuts.

sparkle

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice (everyone).

Will it make a difference when the stone is set in it's 19k white gold ring (with respect to noticing the diff. in color between F and G)?

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 12/3/2002 10:52:19 AM

Hello,

I need to make a decision between two diamonds. Here's the deal...

Diamond 1: .53 F SI2
Diamond 2: .51 G SI2

They both are round brilliant cuts (amazing sparkle). Diamond 1 is $600 more than Diamond 2. Is Diamond 1 worth it?

Thanks!!!

Interesting.... you're going to make a decision based on carat weight, and color?

There are simply far more characteristics that are important to consider. Bear in mind the sage advice.... if its priced less, there usually is a reason why. You need the help of an expert so you can make an educated informed decision.

Diamonds need to be seen in order to make an objective and accurate analysis. Sight unseed is like making the choice blindfolded... Do you really want to do that with your money?

If so, its your choice.

Rockdoc

----------------

Caratz

Shiny_Rock
"You need the help of an expert so you can make an educated informed decision."

The main reason I would hire an expert is to confirm that the diamond matches the diamond described in the certificate. A second reason is to confirm that nothing has happened to the diamond since the date of the certificate.

Apart from those two things, I think consumers can become pretty well-informed by doing their homework.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 12/3/2002 7:01:53 PM

"You need the help of an expert so you can make an educated informed decision."

The main reason I would hire an expert is to confirm that the diamond matches the diamond described in the certificate. A second reason is to confirm that nothing has happened to the diamond since the date of the certificate.

Apart from those two things, I think consumers can become pretty well-informed by doing their homework.
----------------

There are lots of important things left off the major lab certs.

Just a few questions for you....
How close are the variances between facets?
How well is it cut?
Is it treated....?
Is the girdle straight?
Is the grading correct....
What inclusions aren't on the plot? ( many labs only put on the inclusions that set the grading?)
Are they inclusions drawn accurately... (many are not)? I have seen feathers plotted as straight lines that actually spread when viewed in another position..)
Does the stone have stress or strain?
Is the fluoresence correct?
What color does it fluoresce? some are better than others]?
Cut grading systems reports and AVERAGE of only 17 facets... what about the other 40?

Sorry to sound sarcastic.... but IGNORANCE IS BLISS..

Rockdoc

Caratz

Shiny_Rock
Rockdoc,

I stand by my prior post. The most important reason to have an expert take a look at the stone -- by far -- is to make sure it matches the description in the cert. In my mind, that should pick up things like "Is the grading correct?" "Is the fluorescence correct?" "What color does it fluorescence?"

And the second reason Imentioned -- whether there have been any changes -- would pick up whether the stone has been treated, at least with respect to AGS and GIA certed stones.

I still think the other factors you mention rank *far* lower down the list. Consumers can educate themselves about cut. Variance between facets is a minor factor. Whether stress/strain is important is debatable.

Don't get me wrong, Rockdoc. I think that the reasons I mentioned are reason enough to use an expert. I just think that sometimes you overstate your case.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results