shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Advice picking diamond for engagement ring- ASAP!

gialoom0331

Rough_Rock
I have narrowed it down to 2 diamonds from 2 different sellers for an engagement ring:

1) 1.03 H VS1
http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?reportno=1176042821&childpagename=GIA%2FPage%2FReportCheck&pagename=GIA%2FDispatcher&c=Page&cid=1355954554547

2) 1.00 I SI1
http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?reportno=6212659597&childpagename=GIA%2FPage%2FReportCheck&pagename=GIA%2FDispatcher&c=Page&cid=1355954554547

Both will cost me about the same. It was pointed out to me that the 1.03 has more depth, so would actually look more like a .9.

I care about how it looks to the eye, and not so much how it does under a loop. My mother says the 1.03 looks more shiny and overall nicer than the 1.00, however I don't want to pay/get a 1.03 if it will look like a .9 (I also don't want it to look too small!!!)

My mother says she also thinks she noticed a bow tie in the 1.00, and didn't in the 1.03.

The setting will be simple- small diamonds halfway down the band and simple prongs to hold the main stone.

Above are the GIA Certificates- ANY ADVICE WOULD BE SO GREATLY APPRECIATED! I have to make this decision tomorrow morning!

THANK YOU!!! :clap: :angel:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately, fancy cuts like ovals can not be evaluated by numbers.
We need up close pictures, aset images and videos are always nice.

James Allen is a good place to look for ovals.

I'll post a few nice ones so you can compare to what you have found.

In the next post....

RockBrat

Shiny_Rock
If it has to be one of these two diamonds I'd personally choose the first one. A natural with an extra facet around it is not an inclusion I would usually choose but since the clarity is vs1, it's probably okay. Number two has a cavity which is a naturally formed chip and at SI1 grade with it being preceded by crystal and feather, I would personally pass on it.

gialoom0331

Rough_Rock
**Also note:

The 1.03 has "GOOD" Symmetry and Polish Grade, while 1.00 has "Excellent" Polish and "Very Good" Symmetry.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We can't tell you a thing about choosing a stone just by a grading report, with the exception of a round.

I strongly advise you to slow down, and do not limit yourself to two stones. I might like one oval out of 20 that I see. You need to see a lot more than two, probably, to get a great one. The 1.03 sounds like it has a lot of negatives. I prefer at least very good for polish and symmetry. You also don't want a thick girdle. But we can't tell whether the other stone is good without seeing magnified pictures. I'd probably prefer H color in an oval, but not the one you listed.

Tyty has listed some for you, and I really advise slowing down and getting some other options with pictures and input.

gialoom0331

Rough_Rock
Thank you very much for your thoughtful reply! So you would stay away from the 1.03 H VS1, because of it's depth and "Good" ratings for Polish and Symmetry?

Here are some pictures of the 1.00 I SI1:

image1-2_1.jpg

image2_8.png

image3_2.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results