shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Advice On two Diamonds and Price?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

superlizzy

Rough_Rock
I have read almost all there is to read on this forum and am pretty set on the following...

-Classic Tiffany Style 6-Prong setting (so far I am set on Superbcert and possibly the Whiteflash)
-1-1.25 ct round diamond
-G color or beter
-VS2 or better
-GIA/AGS certified stone
-and the perfect dimensions

I have this stone which I am considering:

1.27 carat
G color
GIA Ex/Ex/Ex
VS2
Depth 62.1%
Table 55%

Flourescense: Medium Blue
Gridle: Medium / Faceted
Measurements: 6.94-6.98 x 4.32 mm
Crown Angle: 35
Pavilion Angle: 41
Culet: None

The price I can get it for is $7200. What do you guys and gals think about the stone and price?

After doing some side by side comparisons at a few store I also became interested in D color stones for their incredible ice white appearance, so much that it amazed me, and hence I also considering this stone...

1.04 Carat
D color
Gia Ex/Vg/Vg
VS1
Depth 61.0%
Table 57%
Flourescense: None
Gridle: Thin to Medium Faceted
Measurements: 6.54-6.60 x 4.01 mm
Crown Angle: 35
Pavilion Angle: 41.2
Culet: None

The price for this one I can get is $7700. What do you think about this one?

So basically I am in a serious toss up between a D or G at the expense of .25 ct. All the advice and opinions you may have I would love to hear, since I need to buy something soon
30.gif

Thanks alot,

L.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi Superlizzy! WELCOME to the Pricescope forums! Thanks for giving us a chance to be a part of your diamond purchase - pretty exciting, right?

Most of the folks here will want to know crown and pavilion angles also in order to assess the cut and comment on the overall stones - do you have that info? Also, just wondering, are you familiar with the Holloway Cut Advisor tool?

The color thing is really a matter of personal preference. D''s are beautiful, but getting an awesome cut is probably more important. Many people will tell you that you can''t see any color in a G face-up, especially if it''s well-cut.

superlizzy

Rough_Rock
Super exciting!!! :)

I updated the original post and added the crown and pavilion angles as well as the dimensions and culet (the things in red)

I have played with the HCA tool, but I was hoping to get an honest opinion from people here also taking into account the price of both stones.

Ultimately which one will look better and more impresssive on a finger? is the D worth the 0.25 carat sacrifice or is it not?

Also I wanted an opinion that is based on both of them being set in a Tiffany classic 6 prong setting.

Hope those details help.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
People will notice size first, unless you get an ugly diamond! So there is NO question that I''d choose the G over a smaller D. G is still at the top of the near colorless range and is a great color!

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
The G scores better than the D on the HCA, although the score is over 2. Therefore, if the G performs better, the color difference may be a mute point.

If you do a "Search by Cut" under Prices in the toolbar, you may find something with better light performance (like less than 2). You can choose a range of colors and check out the price trade-off. I''m a big fan of F stones personally - "Colorless" without the price premium.

superlizzy

Rough_Rock
I did a search here on prices as well as on a few other sites and it seems like the prices coming back are quite a bit higher than the prices I got.

Does anyone have some feedback on the prices for those two stones?

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi Lizzy. So if you input the parameters for the first stone, the 1.27 G VS2, in a regular search, there are several vendors that appear to have the same stone for less:

Abazias $7043
Engagement Rings Direct $7111
USA Cert $7137
etc.

The price takes into account the discount you usually see for stones with Med+ fluorescence and is the Pricescope price.

The second stone seems very competitively priced. I see a 1.04 D VS2 EX/EX for $7925 on Engagement Rings Direct, but I don''t see the diamond proportions listed. It is a VS2 vs. the VS1 of your stone.

You are asking a classic question about the size-color trade-off. It''s a tough one!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results