shape
carat
color
clarity

Need advice on this stone (pic provided)

sarahdavanzo

Rough_Rock
Hi! I love this stone, saw it in person and was beautiful but what is the ring in the center? It almost looks like a circle in the table around the center facets, am I overanalyzing or is it a bad cut? Please let me know :)

IMG_8546.jpeg IMG_8546.jpeg

Frenchieglitter

Rough_Rock
I think it could be fisheye, meaning there is a reflection of the girdle inside the stone and it creates the circle you see. But I'm not a PS expert so I'm very interested to read what others say.

Did you notice circle in person or just in the photo? Do you have a video so we can see it in motion?

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It looks like a fisheye to me, too. Fisheyes are generally the result of a too shallow cut and are not a desirable effect. They are distracting, interfere with the light play of a diamond and, in my opinion, very unattractive. Whenever I see "spready" or "looks large for its carat weight" in the description of a gem, I immediately suspect a too shallow cut. Generally, shallow cuts greatly increase the likelihood of fisheyes in diamonds and windows in colored gems. Windows in colored gems are areas of transparency/no color (like looking through a window) when viewing the face of the gem directly. It is not necessarily bad to see areas of transparency (tilt windows) when moving a colored gem, if the transparent areas are not there in all positions. In photographs of windowed gems, you may see extreme dullness in color, sort of like a matte finish next to a shinier appearance of the non-windowed part of the gem. I can see that matte effect in the upper portion of the fisheye circle in this diamond. It's probably there in the lower portion as well but appears slightly camouflaged by the position of the diamond (the shadow in the picture tells me the diamond is probably tilted on its side).

I learned about fisheyes and windows the hard (and expensive) way. My advice is to avoid them, unless they appeal to you in some way.

sarahdavanzo

Rough_Rock
I think it could be fisheye, meaning there is a reflection of the girdle inside the stone and it creates the circle you see. But I'm not a PS expert so I'm very interested to read what others say.

Did you notice circle in person or just in the photo? Do you have a video so we can see it in motion?

Thank you, it is definitely a fisheye after looking more into it! Thankfully I passed on this purchase

sarahdavanzo

Rough_Rock
It looks like a fisheye to me, too. Fisheyes are generally the result of a too shallow cut and are not a desirable effect. They are distracting, interfere with the light play of a diamond and, in my opinion, very unattractive. Whenever I see "spready" or "looks large for its carat weight" in the description of a gem, I immediately suspect a too shallow cut. Generally, shallow cuts greatly increase the likelihood of fisheyes in diamonds and windows in colored gems. Windows in colored gems are areas of transparency/no color (like looking through a window) when viewing the face of the gem directly. It is not necessarily bad to see areas of transparency (tilt windows) when moving a colored gem, if the transparent areas are not there in all positions. In photographs of windowed gems, you may see extreme dullness in color, sort of like a matte finish next to a shinier appearance of the non-windowed part of the gem. I can see that matte effect in the upper portion of the fisheye circle in this diamond. It's probably there in the lower portion as well but appears slightly camouflaged by the position of the diamond (the shadow in the picture tells me the diamond is probably tilted on its side).

I learned about fisheyes and windows the hard (and expensive) way. My advice is to avoid them, unless they appeal to you in some way.

Yes I can definitely see that matte effect! Definitely a fisheye, thankfully I passed on this purchase, thank you for your input!

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not call it fisheye. It is typical for a cushion to have such leakage.
75/100. Average cushion in my book

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results