shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Advice on this LG Cushion Cut

EmeraldObsessed3

Rough_Rock
Hello All,

I need some advice on a Cushion Cut diamond I recently purchased.

It is a 4.01ct Elongated Cushion Cut Brilliant
dimensions: 10.14mm x 8.51mm x 5.82mm

When the diamond arrived in person, it looks smaller than I expected, but I am wondering if that is just because it isn't set in a ring yet.
I did research on the face up dimensions and table and depth percentages, so I was just wondering if it is just me.
My ring size is 5 1/4, but in looking online, smaller carat weights look bigger on size 6 fingers.
I love the stone so much, the brilliance and light return is so captivating, I am just wondering if putting it in the setting will make a big difference

Any input/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Setting the stone will go in: https://www.laurenbjewelry.com/5-21-ct-cushion-cut-diamond-signature-wrap-engagement-ring.html

Thank you so much

Attachments

• IMG_1875.JPG
    IMG_1875.JPG
    210.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1874.PNG
    IMG_1874.PNG
    148.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1872.jpg
    IMG_1872.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 18

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
I put your stone's dimensions into the Diamond Database and it seemed to think it 'looked its weight'. I set it against a 4ct MRB and as you'd expect with a cushion, it looks smaller than a MRB on the finger. A cushion cut will have more weight in its backside. I suppose you can find a more spready cushion (shallower), but it may not give you has much performance as your stone. If you love it, I'd keep it!

I love the setting but ask Lauren B to give you an idea of what your 4ct will look like set in it, as their example has a 5ct set, which is a bigger stone again.

Don't forget to stress to your jeweller that you want to make sure the pave band is durable enough to support a big stone.

Screen Shot 2021-04-20 at 1.43.02 pm.jpg

EmeraldObsessed3

Rough_Rock
This is really, really great information! Thank you so much for taking the time to investigate this for me!!
The reminder that the Cushions do have a lot of their weight under them is what I needed to hear!
I will go over those things with Lauren B like you suggested and will definitely keep my stone I found :)
Thank you!!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t want to critique your setting choice because it’s very pretty from the top, but with a large stone like you have, that single join between the head and the shank with how high the head is, is making me anxious.
There was a woman who had a nearly identical setting earlier this year that broke it off into her ice tray at home, presumably by snagging or knocking the ring as she reached into the freezer.
Is there any way they could sink the head into the shank a little so it’s not so dependent on that single join?

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
I don’t want to critique your setting choice because it’s very pretty from the top, but with a large stone like you have, that single join between the head and the shank with how high the head is, is making me anxious.
There was a woman who had a nearly identical setting earlier this year that broke it off into her ice tray at home, presumably by snagging or knocking the ring as she reached into the freezer...

I was going to mention that story and about someone else who recently had a problematic pave band, but I'm hoping Lauren B has any issues covered. I guess it comes down to how often OP plans to wear the ring?

Only thing I would suggest is making sure your ring is insured. The ice tray lady unfortunately let her insurance lapse but luckily found the stone and head.

EmeraldObsessed3

Rough_Rock
There was a woman who had a nearly identical setting earlier this year that broke it off into her ice tray at home, presumably by snagging or knocking the ring as she reached into the freezer.
Is there any way they could sink the head into the shank a little so it’s not so dependent on that single join?

This is a really good point, I hadn’t heard of that story but I’m so glad you brought it to my attention! I’ve emailed LaurenB with that exact question and even have chosen a back up setting (halo)! Thank you so much for the input!!

EmeraldObsessed3

Rough_Rock
I was going to mention that story and about someone else who recently had a problematic pave band, but I'm hoping Lauren B has any issues covered. I guess it comes down to how often OP plans to wear the ring?

Only thing I would suggest is making sure your ring is insured. The ice tray lady unfortunately let her insurance lapse but luckily found the stone and head.

I appreciate you bringing that up! Definitely a good idea, just to be safe as well I am checking with LaurenB as well as picking out a back up setting!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results