shape
carat
color
clarity

need advice on this 1.01ct AGS

buysell112

Rough_Rock
hi, new to this site, but everything has been really informative and helpful. in the market for a .9ct or 1ct. what would be your opinion on this one, for 4293usd? HCA score of only 2 but has ideal AGS light score. thanks for your help.

AGS#: 104079039013
Report Type: The Platinum Light Performance Diamond Quality® Document
Shape and Style: Round Brilliant
Measurements: 6.41 - 6.45 x 3.98 mm
Cut Grade: AGS Ideal 0
Color Grade: AGS 2.5 (I)
Clarity Grade: AGS 5 (SI1)
Carat Weight 1.014
Fluorescence: Negligible
Comments:
"AGS-104079039013" has been inscribed on the girdle of this diamond.
Additional clouds are not shown.

Light Performance: 0
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Table: 57.2%
Crown Angle: 34.9
Crown Height: 15.0%
Girdle: Faceted, 1.6% to 3.8%
Pavilion Angle: 40.9
Pavilion Depth: 43.4%
Star Length: 48%
Lower Girdle Length: 79%
Total Depth: 61.9%
Culet: Pointed

Coralfish

Shiny_Rock
Hi there,

I think the first thing people will notice from your stats is 'SI1, clouds not shown'. Have you seen the diamond, especially next to a VS1 (or higher in clarity) diamond - to determine whether the clouds are visible, even if as a diffuse, indeterminate dullness to the stone.

Let us know and we can go from there. The price looks good but diamonds are rarely priced below average unless there is a reason. If the diamond is not local or in-hand, try and get a gemmologist's opinion on the clouds, and some photographs (and some next to comparison diamonds as above would be good too). See also whether you can get an ASET.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A score of two on the HCA is great. A score of 1 is not better than a score of 2. It is formulated so that most stones that score at 2 or under will fall within AGS Ideal cut parameters, and that is why you don't use the HCA on AGS graded stones. You only need it for GIA stones because their Excellent cut range is far broader than AGS Ideal. A score of 2 or less just means a stone is worth pursuing further information.

But, that said, I'd have to see the images of the stone itself, and it would be good to see either idealscope or ASET. Most will be fine, but there are a few stones that slip in AGS Ideal that I would not buy. You really need good images to check out the inclusions. I would want verification from the vendor that the clouds don't diminish light return. The price is very low, so be careful.

Coralfish

Shiny_Rock
Here's a nice direct comparable for you. You get all the imagery and light performance technology for the extra $$. They might even match the price or come a bit closer, who knows. They are a trustworthy and reliable company who are popular around here. There are shipping fees I believe - please check this.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/1ct-i-si1-premium-round-ideal-cut-diamond.html

Picture 7 shows the grade-setting clarity features.

GOG also have lifetime trade-up on some of their diamonds, check to see if this one included. The good thing about their policy is there isn't a minimum trade up value (please double check this to make sure), I think the new diamond just has to exceed the price of the old one, and there isn't a time limit on the tradeup either. If the new diamond also meets the tradeup parameters, the policy applies to the new diamond too, and so forth.

buysell112

Rough_Rock
Wow thanks for the replies, really helpful information. I've only seen a 50x image, but it's been confirmed eye clean.

I also saw this on whiteflash, an expert selection for $4156. The certificate actually shows as ACA when you look it up, but I called them and they said it will be updated next week and ACA will be removed from it, as it was just released and it was only an issue with the hearts and arrows that caused the downgrade. I put it on hold because it seems pretty good, pricewise also, and at least I'd be dealing with a reputable dealer and all its benefits. The inclusions are mainly just visible on the pavilion.

AGS#: 104081962020

Shape and Style: Round Brilliant
Measurements: 6.17 - 6.20 x 3.83 mm
Cut Grade: AGS Ideal 0
Color Grade: AGS 2.0 (H)
Clarity Grade: AGS 5 (SI1)
Carat Weight 0.895
Fluorescence: Negligible
Comments:

"AGS-104081962020" has been inscribed on the girdle of this diamond.
Additional clouds are not shown.

Light Performance: 0
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Table: 55.5%
Crown Angle: 34.8
Crown Height: 15.5%
Girdle: Faceted, 1.1% to 3.6%
Pavilion Angle: 40.7
Pavilion Depth: 43.1%
Star Length: 51%
Lower Girdle Length: 76%
Total Depth: 61.9%
Culet: Pointed

_34766.jpg

screenshot_2015-10-06-01-19-20.png

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Certainly a WF stone will be great. I have bought from them several times. I would prefer the H color over I color, but some people would value size over color. That's something only you can decide based on the preferences of the person who will be wearing it.

Coralfish

Shiny_Rock
Hi buysell

I'm not sure which diamond that image refers to, but there appears to be a large girdle-breaking feather which, for that reason, I would pass on that stone.

buysell112

Rough_Rock
Yes I was wondering the same too about the picture, seemed to be a pretty big inclusion but wasn't sure because it's 50x. Thanks for the further other options they look like great diamonds but would put me over my budget of around 4k. Looks like I'll have to stick to. 9ct if I want good quality for that price.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results