shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Advice on setting and stone...

Ookies

Rough_Rock
Hey guys...

I'm thinking about investing in this mount, which I found from jared.... and probably a round cut diamond

Color: F or G
Cut/Polish: Excellent
Carat: .9-1 carat

Just wondering if you guys like this setting or should i focus more on the diamond itself...

The price of the white gold version is $2800 i believe... and has about 1 carat worth of little diamonds... SI2 - I color... i believe

You think it's worth it? 560778906_MV_LG_JAR_bBR.jpg
560778906_SV_LG_JAR.jpg

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it's a lovely setting- but before I committed, I would find out if a vendor could make that setting and see what they would charge. Most of the PS vendors use higher clarity, color and better cut stones in their settings than I SI2.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally, I'd focus more on the center diamond. That setting is pretty but I think your center stone would get swallowed up and just blend in with all the rest. I'd much prefer a nice center stone with small accents if you don't want a plain solitaire.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd focus more on the center diamond too. That setting is nice but I agree with Missgotrocks that the center would end up getting lost in it.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
mrssalvo|1308275331|2947964 said:
I'd focus more on the center diamond too. That setting is nice but I agree with Missgotrocks that the center would end up getting lost in it.

I agree! I think a simpler setting would showcase the center stone better. But you should get what you like!!

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
I'd love that setting. I'd still get the best cut diamond I could afford even with that setting. It would look amazing.

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock
What about something like this

diamond

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2645958.htm

I would call to have them verify if it is eye clean

This stone also looks really nice, but it is an I color

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2645959.htm

They have an excellent tradin in program if you ever decide to do so

http://www.whiteflash.com/about-diamonds/faq/lifetime-upgrade.htm#aca_es

WIth this setting

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/imperial-diamond-engagement-ring-107.htm

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would also concentrate more on the center stone. That setting somewhat distracts from the center stone but depending
on what your GF likes (or is the ring for you?) she may be more into the overall look of the ring.

Ookies

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the suggestions! The engagement ring is for my girlfriend.. pretty much she's giving me the go ahead to pick anything I want... she's says that whatever I pick... she will like... so it's difficult to pick a ring... I've seen a lot of them and I don't know if I like anything else... But I can DEFINITELY see what you guys are saying in terms of the middle diamond being swallowed up but all the other diamonds... I'll continue looking to see what I can come up with... I definitely like the pave style w/ modern/antique look to it... My gf has a little thicker finger so I wanted a mount that was also a little thicker... lots of the mounts I've seen are very skinny it seems... :confused:

Ookies

Rough_Rock
Hey farmergal... Thanks so much for the advice.. that setting is very nice along with the stone... I'll look more into it!! =)

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Ookies, something else to consider is the quality of the stones that are in the mounting, and the diamonds in the ring that farmer gal linked are top-notch quality -- A Cut Above brand diamonds from Whiteflash. You want the little stones in the setting to sparkle, and many chain jewelry stores don't use the best quality small stones in their settings.

I do not think the diamond will get lost in the Whiteflash setting; the proportions are very nice. Also, compare the style of the head of the Jared ring (that head is what holds the center stone and joins the stone to the band) with the head of the Whiteflash ring. The Jared ring has a peg head, and those are not as graceful looking as an integrated head. The Whiteflash ring has an integrated basket style head. These are more expensive looking, and also more secure, I believe, than peg heads which can be interchanged.

I think the setting farmer gal linked is a great value for the price and will look very nice on someone with larger fingers (I have larger fingers -- size 7.5 -- and have tried on designs like that and they are very flattering). I'm not sure what your total budget is for the center stone, but you might want to check with Whiteflash to see what they recommend for a center stone and what kind of price they can give you. They are a great company to work with; I have ordered from them before.

Best of luck!

Ookies

Rough_Rock
Lula|1308327482|2948413 said:
Ookies, something else to consider is the quality of the stones that are in the mounting, and the diamonds in the ring that farmer gal linked are top-notch quality -- A Cut Above brand diamonds from Whiteflash. You want the little stones in the setting to sparkle, and many chain jewelry stores don't use the best quality small stones in their settings.

I do not think the diamond will get lost in the Whiteflash setting; the proportions are very nice. Also, compare the style of the head of the Jared ring (that head is what holds the center stone and joins the stone to the band) with the head of the Whiteflash ring. The Jared ring has a peg head, and those are not as graceful looking as an integrated head. The Whiteflash ring has an integrated basket style head. These are more expensive looking, and also more secure, I believe, than peg heads which can be interchanged.

I think the setting farmer gal linked is a great value for the price and will look very nice on someone with larger fingers (I have larger fingers -- size 7.5 -- and have tried on designs like that and they are very flattering). I'm not sure what your total budget is for the center stone, but you might want to check with Whiteflash to see what they recommend for a center stone and what kind of price they can give you. They are a great company to work with; I have ordered from them before.

Best of luck!

Thank you so much for your advice Lula! I'm seriously considering whiteflash after farmergal sent me that link... the only thing that concerns me is if the sizing is incorrect... that would mean I would have to send it in to Houston... cuz I'm located in IL for resizing... also... for maintanance of the ring... do you just go to a random jewlery store to get it "refinished" again? P.S my budget is about 7-10k.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Ookies|1308327882|2948422 said:
Lula|1308327482|2948413 said:

Best of luck!

Thank you so much for your advice Lula! I'm seriously considering whiteflash after farmergal sent me that link... the only thing that concerns me is if the sizing is incorrect... that would mean I would have to send it in to Houston... cuz I'm located in IL for resizing... also... for maintanance of the ring... do you just go to a random jewlery store to get it "refinished" again? P.S my budget is about 7-10k.

You have a great budget to work with!

To answer your questions:

Sizing -- Any ring with small stones set into it *can* be tricky to resize, especially if you need to go up or down in size more than one ring size. Little tweaks in size, like sizing down from a size 7 to a size 6.75, are not such a big deal, and could probably be done locally if you have a jeweler in town that has a good reputation for doing custom work, and has his/her own shop on site (doesn't contract the work out). That said, I've heard enough stories about botched jobs, that I'd recommend you send it to Whiteflash for any re-sizing needed, especially if it needs to be resized right after you give her the ring. I know it's a hassle to ship things across the country, but many of us on this board have done it many times -- it's worth the peace of mind to have the original company work on the ring, at least the first year or two that you own it. If your gf has gone ring shopping with you, was her finger sized at any of the shops? Or do you have a friend or relative you would trust to help you find out what size ring your gf wears? Keep in mind, you want the engagement ring a little bit bigger in size to allow for a wedding band to sit next to it. Whiteflash can advise you on sizing this setting and give you some recommendations on what size to order.

As for cleaning, and regular maintenance -- any jewelry store can do that for you. I've taken things to my local Jared to be rhodium plated, and they do a great job.

ETA: And wherever you decide to buy your ring from, make sure you get it insured before you give the ring to your gf and/or before any work is done on it (i.e., sizing). I use Jeweler's Mutual (located in WI where I am from) but there are many other companies that will insure jewelry.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results