shape
carat
color
clarity

Need advice on semi-precious stones

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

masakari

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

Would greatly appreciate any help I can get on this.
Essentially, I''m going to propose to my girl friend and have bought a wonderful diamond ring from GoG for this.

However, I hope to propose during a trip to south America and during this time, I hope to just use a simple coloured stone as a substitute. I wouldn''t be able to enjoy my holiday while carrying that diamond and after I give it to her, she won''t be able to enjoy the trip.

As South America is well known for its coloured stones, I was wondering if it was cheaper/better to buy it there. Of course, I will need to engineer time for myself to go shopping there, but I''m game if it''s worth trying. My question is it is really worth buying it there or should I just buy something locally (Asia). I''m not looking for anything fancy, just a very low budget stone (max $500... I blew my bank on the diamond and the trip) that looks good enough to not change her mind from a ''yes'' to a ''no''.

Incidently, any advice on stone would be great too. I''m partial to blue so thinking of blue topaz or aquamarine but I''m open to anything. Her birth stone is citrine or yellow topaz, but neither of us are huge fans of those stones.

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/24/2007 9:52:22 AM
Author:masakari
I hope to propose during a trip to south America and during this time, I hope to just use a simple coloured stone as a substitute.

Two suggestions. First, lose the concept of "semi-precious" stones. I own agates that are worth far more than some diamonds. The term is archaic and was inaccurate to begin with. Its use has been one of the big obstacles to the well-deserved appreciation of fine colored gemstones.

Second, tell us where you''re going in South America -- it''s a huge place. Colombia is renowned for the world''s finest emeralds and Brazil produces a wide selection of choice aquamarine, tourmaline, topaz, amethyst, etc. as well as emeralds from junk to Colombian-quality. Depending on your gem knowledge, gem-shopping know-how, your points of call in S.A. and your location in Asia (where many Brazilian gems are cut), you might be just as well off buying a stone at home where you speak the language.

Lee Little

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Have you considered waiting to propose until you return home after having a great trip together? Then you could use the real ring instead of a substitute. Perhaps one good journey will deserve another. Best wishes, Lee

stacy

Shiny_Rock
I think it would be nice to buy a stone there in South America, and get one that is unique to the region you are visiting (if possible). I love amethysts, so that was my gut reaction, but if you get a special stone, that will be just one more way for her to remember your trip and proposal.

Congrats on finding a person you want to spend the rest of your life with. And have tons of fun on your trip!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results