shape
carat
color
clarity

Need advice on Princess Cut Kite Setting

WileE

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone! I've been with my girlfriend for 4 years now and am hoping to surprise her with a ring on her bday (early october).

She has told me she likes princess cuts and I was thinking about a kite setting (turned 45 deg).
I'd like to order online because I can get an AGS0 Ideal cut a lot cheaper than in stores (Jared's).
I found a nice 3/4 stone and setting from whiteflash that can be made into a kite setting, but it then becomes semi-custom and nonreturnable.
https://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/sleek-line-solitaire-engagement-ring-432.htm
(see kite configuration in the bottom picture section)

I'm pretty sure she will love the ring, but I don't like the fact that I can't return the ring if I need to.

So my options as far as I know are:
1. Just go with it hoping I won't have to return.
2. I heard Jared will take a Whiteflash Diamond and put it into their own setting. Would I then be able to still return it? And how would Jared's protection plan work? I heard that rhodium plating is expensive and you sometimes have to do it every 6-12 months, so the protection plan may come in handy for this. I would still get some kind of insurance on the ring as well though.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just a word from someone who has had a kite setting. Although I love the look, I tend to think that over time it may be a little old vs the "classic" Make sure she likes this orientation of the stone. However if it is pegged like the one you just linked, it would be no problem to turn it back to a classic orientation if she tires of the kite style.

You will have to ask Jared specifically on their warranty and cost. I would just buy a private jewelers insurance than to pay a premium to Jareds as that is very limited, and if you miss an inspection, you are SOL.

WileE

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your reply! I was hoping to surprise her with the kite setting because she never showed me one before. But I guess I should ask if she likes it first before I get it. I think it looks good and more unique than traditional setting.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

WileE

Rough_Rock
I like that one. With my setting and a 3/4 stone the diamond won't stand out as much as that one does, but I think it will still look nice.
There are two pictures of the kite setting on the whiteflash page, if you click on the pictures on the bottom of the page.
I'm wondering if I should just ask her if she likes the kite setting, but I feel like that ruins the surprise.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WileE|1314653617|3004811 said:
I like that one. With my setting and a 3/4 stone the diamond won't stand out as much as that one does, but I think it will still look nice.
There are two pictures of the kite setting on the whiteflash page, if you click on the pictures on the bottom of the page.
I'm wondering if I should just ask her if she likes the kite setting, but I feel like that ruins the surprise.

Ask her. I'm a stranger on the web and I have NO idea who you are, and I'm begging you to ask her.

A hundred times better to find out *now*, instead of after the proposal, that she doesn't like kite-set stones! There are still so many surprises left -the precise stone and setting, the time and place of the proposal itself...

WileE

Rough_Rock
Ok, I will show her a different, random kite setting and pretend it is the one my friend just gave to his girlfriend (actually happened). I'll find out how she feels about kite settings that way. It won't be so obvious then.

Thanks!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sounds good, here is my previous Kite set with a tulip head.

PRINCESSDTFLASH.jpg

mogster

Shiny_Rock
Yssie|1314653895|3004816 said:
WileE|1314653617|3004811 said:

Ask her. I'm a stranger on the web and I have NO idea who you are, and I'm begging you to ask her.

A hundred times better to find out *now*, instead of after the proposal, that she doesn't like kite-set stones! There are still so many surprises left -the precise stone and setting, the time and place of the proposal itself...

I wholeheartedly second this. It'd be awful if you put a whole lot of effort into surprising her and the ring just wasn't what she was expecting.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I would definitely ask her. That way you won't have to stress knowing she will love the ring! the proposal can still be a surprise.

I was just about to post Mashira's ring but noticed yssie posted it! I think it is a great example of a kite-set princess :)

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
Coming from a girl whose husband surprised her with an engagement ring. . . and was wearing my fourth engagement ring by the time we got married, I would highly suggest getting as MUCH as input from her as you can.

Coming from a girl who has a princess cut and LOVES princess cuts, I really suggest getting her opinion on kite set. I have a friend with a kite set and while I think it's "cool" it's not what I would want to wear daily.

Coming from a girl that got educated on PS about all the other square cuts out there. . . POH, BGD's Quadex, etc. . . I'd take a look into some of the other square cuts. . . coming from a girl that loves square and loves princess, but does think a bigger spread for the money is worth considering. . . if BGD had the Quadex when I got my princess I would have seriously considered it. If I hadn't had to do a trade in I'd have seriously considered GOG's POH as well.

Now back to my first comment there were a LOT of hurt feelings over that original surprise engagement ring. So take the stress and worry and potential hurt feelings out of the equation and ask as much as you can before purchasing. You can still ultimately surprise her. She can still not see the finished ring until you pop the question. But I guarantee if my husband could roll back the clock he'd get more input from me and likey he'd have given up and let me pick the whole thing out. Cause in the end I have a custom BGD set . .

WileE

Rough_Rock
Thanks guys for all the replies!
So I showed her a picture of a kite setting and she thought it was kinda weird and didnt like it over traditional setting. Good thing I asked first! I also showed her some pics of the quadex and GOG POH and she liked the POH. She still likes traditional princess squares also though. Considering POH look a lot more pricey than some squares on whiteflash I may stick with a regular AGS0 stone.

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah there is something to be said about traditional princess. But I will say the other cuts usually face up a bit bigger for the same carat weight. Also there are some nice cushions out there! :)

BTW - the princess cut looks AMAZING in the BGD truth head. That's what my set uses for the head. After having a more traditional/regular head I would never ever go back. The truth is drop dead amazing and really open. Princesses look great in it!

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
No that's more of a traditional head. Very similar to what I had before. This is my set: http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/home/ring-details/?product_id=5702 Princess with a truth head. I have many more pics if you search my posts - I have an upgrade thread with a link to my old ring in it. I do like the slimness of your band. I wish my first one had been like that. Hence one of the reasons for an upgrade.

WileE

Rough_Rock
Thanks I looked at your upgrade thread and your rings look very pretty.
Unfortunately it's kinda above my budget I was hoping for so I may have to stick with this one for now which I think still looks good. I'm thinking her wedding band can have some channel set diamonds in it.

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
Oh sure. I understand. Just thought I'd show you the truth head. They have some plain solitaires with that head as well. I totally hear you on the budget though. You'll be happy with your choice! I'm glad you asked her about the kite set though. :)

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you reserve it? Is that you??????? Looks pretty! Love the Legato too - good luck on your ring/proposal.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I think it looks great! please come back with pictures of the ring :)

WileE

Rough_Rock
Yes I have it on reserve.
Still deciding between the Sleek Line and Legato Sleek. I def want the slimmer band.
She said a long time ago that she likes cathedral settings so I assume the sleek Line would be more of what she likes.
I may ask her to compare them for me.

.75ct G VVS2 PR in sleek line flower.jpg

jdiamond e.jpg

WileE

Rough_Rock
Just asked her and she said she likes the legato better than the other one. So its looking like it may be that one.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I think the legato sleek line is a great choice!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think this ring is going to be gorgeous!! Good on you for asking about kite set, because that's a very distinct look and not everyone likes it.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thats great that you know exactly how she feels. I've had the legato before and its a stunning solitaire setting, I think she'll love it.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Good choice! I think the Legato head is much more elegant and flows really well with that setting. I've said time and time again that if I hadn't gone custom, that would have been my pick for a setting.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great choice :)

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That setting is beautiful and classic... I think she will love it! :appl:

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
YAY! The legato is definitely stunning. It's much more delicate and the head is way better than the other one. Super good choice!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results