shape
carat
color
clarity

Need advice on OEC

Huadian

Rough_Rock
Hi all

I'm considering buying a pair of oec diamond studs and have been offered this pair. It's a big purchase and I would like to do more research!

Would really appreciate any thoughts and advice on the cut as OEC goes from the experts here.

I would prefer a lively stone, dont want anything dull and lifeless. I've been told these diamonds have good spread so they are not as deep.

Thank u! Screenshot_20200328-075318_Instagram.jpg Screenshot_20200328-075334_Instagram.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is a little hard to tell from these photos. It would be helpful to have high quality close up macro shots to be able to see the facet patterns. From what I can see, I don't think they look well cut. But I couldn't be sure of that without seeing other images.

Unless there is a 100% return policy for any reason, I wouldn't even consider them.

Huadian

Rough_Rock
Hi thank u! I've attached more photos. What do you think? Screenshot_20200328-084930_Instagram.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200328-084920_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20200328-084920_Instagram.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 34

headlight

Ideal_Rock
They definitely look large on you! They look well-matched and I love the small tables. What size are they? Clarity? Color? Do you mind saying the vendor or price?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They look dark in that bottom photo. See my avatar picture and headlight's? We can see the facet patterns. Get them to give you that kind of photo. I know mine was taken with an iPhone and cropped with no special equipment. They can do better than these pictures.

Huadian

Rough_Rock
Thanks let me ask!!

Huadian

Rough_Rock
They definitely look large on you! They look well-matched and I love the small tables. What size are they? Clarity? Color? Do you mind saying the vendor or price?

They are L color and vs2. Asking 18k. Wont share other details yet as I'm still considering..

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Beware of a "great spread". That usually means the diamonds are too shallow. In the attachment photo labelled "Screenshot-20200..." , I see distinct girdle reflections (fisheyes) in both diamonds, worse in the one on the right. Fisheyes are unattractive and the hallmark of a poorly cut, shallow diamond. I had a similar OEC and hated it. I sold it at a substantial lost. Save yourself some grief and keep looking.

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
They look badly cut. Also I can’t really see any pattern or facets. I wouldn’t even buy them if the price is great, because they won’t have the light return of a well cut diamond. But as others have stated you need to see them with your own eyes to tell if they maybe are the right diamond for you.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes to @Lessics these OECs do not appear to be nicely cut. Not lively and perhaps they have a fish eye too. Hard to tell from the photos for sure. But the facet pattern doesn't seem to be beautiful. I'm sorry but I would keep looking. If you could get a video from the vendor that might help us know for sure. But my guess is these aren't worth it.

Huadian

Rough_Rock
Hi all

Thanks so much for the comments. I love this forum.

Here are some clearer pics of the facets. I cant download the videos Screenshot_20200329-055217_Instagram.jpg Screenshot_20200329-055209_Instagram.jpg so took screenshots. What do u think?

headlight

Ideal_Rock
They definitely look brighter in those photos but I don’t know about the VS2... I see a lot of inclusions and it seems there are transparency issues.

By contrast, here are my “cushion old European cut” studs, 1.62 ctw, K color, SI1 & SI2 clarity. The orientation of the cushion will look odd because I remounted them in martini settings because martinis sit better in my ears but that’s not my point. These are not good stones but merely served as a quick phone call purchase over 13 years ago when I was about to depart on a girls trip to Paris and I didn’t want to take nicer earrings with me! I only paid $3,750 for them and I’ve definitely gotten my money’s worth out of them. But my point is, even with the shortcomings of my stones, can you see the difference?

For earrings, I think there is room for a bit of "forgiveness" as compared to a ring as long as they are bright and sparkle and have movement and contrast, so I can understand that you don't necessarily need/looking for the "greatest earrings ever made", but that doesn't mean they still can't be pretty.

However, with regard to the pair you are considering, I'm going to use a phrase that I never say as it repulses me, so this will be a first for me on PS, but the stones you are considering look like "frozen spit - OEC style". I can't believe I just said it because I really wanted to like those stones for you but they have yet to provide anything to show any redeeming feature to them short of the size. I'm so sorry. We all want you to not get ripped off or have buyers remorse.

So here are my "hail Mary, departing next a.m. for airport" studs which are still much more lively and bright than what you are considering (photos taken separately so they show as different sizes):

1585437241857.jpeg 1585437493167.jpeg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I still think it doesnt look well cut, and have no idea how it's a VS2. It looks cloudy, though it might just be dirty.

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
I’m so sorry but to my eyes they still look ugly (sorry for the harsh word). You should take some time and look at videos of old cuts to get a feel for what look you’re after. But I can assure you these are not high quality diamonds. And if this is what you’re after don’t buy these. IMO a smaller pair of well cut diamonds will make a far nicer look than these diamonds.

Huadian

Rough_Rock
Hi all thanks alot for your comments. I agree to find a smaller pair with good cut instead. I'm considering to buy avrs at lower color say m or n, thinking the light performance would make up for lower color and the color would not be as noticeable.

What do u think of lower color avr as studs?

Thanks

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
I think lower color avrs will be beautiful. But I wouldn’t expect them to look colorless. Why don’t you order the stones look at them and decide if you enjoy them and then send them back to be set into studs if you like the lower color?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi all

Thanks so much for the comments. I love this forum.

Here are some clearer pics of the facets. I cant download the videos Screenshot_20200329-055217_Instagram.jpg Screenshot_20200329-055209_Instagram.jpg so took screenshots. What do u think?

No, you can do much much better.

Hi all thanks alot for your comments. I agree to find a smaller pair with good cut instead. I'm considering to buy avrs at lower color say m or n, thinking the light performance would make up for lower color and the color would not be as noticeable.

What do u think of lower color avr as studs?

Thanks

I think avrs will give you a beautifully cut stone but it will be tinted at m or n. If you are OK with that I think they will be beautiful and definitely superior to the pair above. No question.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
The color is the color. Don’t buy stones thinking that fluorescence or cut is going to change it.
If well cut, it will sparkle more, but the color is still there.
With that said, I think people almost expect the antique cut stones to have more warmth and it adds to the uniqueness of the antique cuts.
However, if you want to get studs that make a statement, where people are like “wow, those are gorgeous” and get noticed for that, I think you should take an earlier suggestion by @Lessics and go for something smaller in a round brilliant cut in a higher color. Sometimes going way down on color and larger isn’t going to get you the eye-catching look you’re going for versus a smaller pair of something of higher color in an excellent cut of a modern round brilliant. I would suggest you start with a smaller pair of WF ACAs, then use their very generous trade up policy to move into bigger size if that’s what you still desire down the road. To be honest, I thought the ones you were looking at were a little big for your ears (if it was your ear in the photo). I think you can go smaller, even much smaller, and if in a killer cut, modern round brilliant, and higher color they will get plenty noticed. Personally, I say save the antique cut for a ring, even if it’s a right hand ring... it will bring you much more pleasure to actually be able to look down on it all day and appreciate the special quality of an antique cut (and even more if set in a period piece type mounting).

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
At $18k, no way. If you have that kind of budget, you can get much nicer stones. I'd want stones on my ears to be nice and bright, and I wouldn't do L color. You can get smaller, better cut stones that will be more impressive on the ears than these.

I do have and love great cut antique cuts (new and old) for rings, but I stuck with Whiteflash ACAs for studs because I want them to show up well from a distance. I'd do AVRs or CERs for studs, but finding matched pairs with the specs one wants is difficult to impossible.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I want to add that while I do have those studs in the antique cuts, that was a “one off” and a last minute, spur of the moment thing. I had only gone with those because I had just purchased a plat OEC and sapphire ring from this particular jeweler that specializes in antique and reproduction jewelry so I called him knowing he could get me something to take on my trip in a day. The earrings have given me a ton of mileage because they are lovely and sparkle, but they are way too warm for my color tolerance and MRBs just pack more of a punch for earrings IMPO. I’m in the market for new studs of very high color (E) and super ideals (BGD). I am looking at studs smaller than what I have because they are large enough and I know that Es in a super ideal, even though smaller, are going to be seen across the room. So I really suggest start out smaller and higher color and the best cut you can with a generous upgrade policy and work your way up in size if you still want that. You will never regret getting earrings of the finest cut, I truly believe that. Spread is something that’s important to you... and I’m not taking spread in the context of a poor cut - but you will be able to get something more in that realm and still high performer, as well as the edge to edge sparkle in an ideal cut, which is going to give you the illusion of larger size.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't get the quote to copy, but I just now read back to where you asked about AVRs in a lower color. Yes, I think they are beautiful in any color. But....I have an O color one and others have M and N and they are often set in yellow gold to enhance the light yellow that they are. They are not going to be white. If you want a neutral that leans toward white, I think K is the lowest I'd recommend, and J would be my personal limit for AVR studs (but really I color would be my preference).

I was writing as headlight just posted again. We agree on this! Bottom line, I'd do the ACAs. I have no regret doing so, and I have collected smaller second hand pairs for my girls.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
At $18k, no way. If you have that kind of budget, you can get much nicer stones. I'd want stones on my ears to be nice and bright, and I wouldn't do L color. You can get smaller, better cut stones that will be more impressive on the ears than these.

I didn’t know the budget is 18k! OP is definitely able to get a killer pair of super ideals. They won’t be the size of the ones she presented, but those are duds. I’m considering a pair of 1.5ctw BGD in E, VS1 for $18k. I have small ears. And But she is fine going way lower in color than E, so she will get more bang for her buck, like big time! Especially if she can find super ideals in an SI1 but I know that’s harder to find in the supers.
I think a pair of 1.5tcw super ideals in E color, although smaller, are going to be way more “wow” than my 1.62 K antiques referenced above... please tell me if anyone disagrees. Hence my point OP change directions.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Look what you could get for $18k:

or

or

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m curious if the L VS2 pair you were considering were graded by a lab, and which lab, or if it was an appraisal. They look warmer than L to me (I like L color), but it could be because the photos are pretty bad.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I’m curious if the L VS2 pair you were considering were graded by a lab, and which lab, or if it was an appraisal. They look warmer than L to me (I like L color), but it could be because the photos are pretty bad.

I think we are moving on ;-)
Thanks, @diamondseeker2006 for sourcing good options!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I’m confused. Are you speaking for the OP and if so, why?

Because she said “ Hi all thanks alot for your comments. I agree to find a smaller pair with good cut instead.”

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Because she said “ Hi all thanks alot for your comments. I agree to find a smaller pair with good cut instead.”

Got it. I had a question about the grading and was not recommending she reconsider those diamonds.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results