shape
carat
color
clarity

Need advice on how to cut this Rough Spinel

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Oops I see it's already cut. Looks good to me!

iambernard45

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thanks guys, yeah I was expecting a slightly reddish color for the spinel. But it brings out a little purplish tone. On closer inspection though, actually the purplish tone is not really that much under sunlight, so i think it is all good. It still turns out great. Wait till I get back to home and take some clear pictures :).

GemAgents1

Rough_Rock
Trade
woow amazing piece of jewelry..

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If Lambert is only following the progress of the spinel via pictures sent by the lapidary, I can understand picture vs stone IRL can be very different but Lambert was there the entire time, from procuring the rough, through the cutting process and the final outcome. I would think that he would have noticed any colour shifting right away if that were the case, since he's been indoors and outdoors with the spinel. If he said that the spinel rough was pink and the final colour is purple in person, then I am more inclined to think that his description of the colouration is accurate.

iambernard45

Rough_Rock
Trade
Here is a little fun out of this trip. I guess 10 of them can fill up a decent size swimming pool :)
image_1646.jpg

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
iambernard45|1399008079|3664921 said:
Thanks guys, yeah I was expecting a slightly reddish color for the spinel. But it brings out a little purplish tone. On closer inspection though, actually the purplish tone is not really that much under sunlight, so i think it is all good. It still turns out great. Wait till I get back to home and take some clear pictures :).

So, this sounds like the color is still a question mark.....especially if it is not 'that much purple in sunlight'. I am looking forward to your follow up photo's as it is a large spinel and a large adventure!

iambernard45

Rough_Rock
Trade
Not yet back home but here are some of the clearer pictures taken with iPhone near the window with little sunlight.

image_1650.jpg

image_1651.jpg

Elyxia

Rough_Rock
It is beautifully pink in the sunlight. Has it grown on you more now?

iambernard45

Rough_Rock
Trade
Yes, it is. Thinking back from this whole experience, I think I was expecting too much from the rough colorwise. Comparing the last few pictures, it actually turns out not so much difference from the rough. The red tone is gone, slight purple is coming but hey, the color is actually quite similar to the rough pictures. I was just dreaming of getting much more out of it and paid a little bit high for the rough. Ah, I have not written up my adventure to get this particular rough, it was pretty fun as well. I save it for another time hehe.

Soon, I will be flying back home, Let me take some pictures with canon camera and post it up later :)

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
The spectral intensity of an LED penlight is heavily weighted to the blue end of the spectrum. Since spinel transmits blue light without absorbing much it could easily look purplish look under an LED penlight. To check the body color only I would suggest turning the gem upside down on a piece of white paper and light it with the same type of light used in the pictures of the rough. The color should be very similar to the rough under that viewing scenario since you are getting no additive colors from increased light path length, (which you do get in a faceted gem). Increasing path length can change the perceived color of a gem dramatically since the stone will absorb different wavelengths of light by different amounts over changing distances, in this case making the ends of the oval look more purple since blue light is transmitted more without being absorbed as much as other colors. The moral of the story is...don't use white LED or high color temperature fluorescent lights when showing the stone.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Michael_E|1399152355|3665657 said:
The spectral intensity of an LED penlight is heavily weighted to the blue end of the spectrum. Since spinel transmits blue light without absorbing much it could easily look purplish look under an LED penlight. To check the body color only I would suggest turning the gem upside down on a piece of white paper and light it with the same type of light used in the pictures of the rough. The color should be very similar to the rough under that viewing scenario since you are getting no additive colors from increased light path length, (which you do get in a faceted gem). Increasing path length can change the perceived color of a gem dramatically since the stone will absorb different wavelengths of light by different amounts over changing distances, in this case making the ends of the oval look more purple since blue light is transmitted more without being absorbed as much as other colors. The moral of the story is...don't use white LED or high color temperature fluorescent lights when showing the stone.

Great explanation - thank you.

iambernard45

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hello guys, here i am back at home after tiring but fruitful adventure. Total estimated time from getting this rough to facetting and get it certified, is about 25 days. Thank you PS-ers for all the advice, I did try the suggestions to polish one side of the rough, analysing the inclusion, draw up the expected outcome with marker.. They have been very helpful.

Overall, I am very happy with this experience, forget about my ranting of "where is the red!!", it was just a wishful thinking of mine, the gemstone still turns out very beautiful. Here are some of the quick shots with canon, taken in a room with not strong but ample sunlight. Notice the inclusion that is visible in the top left backside of the gemstone, I would say it is virtually eye clean spinel.

spinel_13.jpg

spinel_13_0.jpg

spinel_13_2.jpg

spinel_13_1.jpg

spinel_13_3.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it's awesome.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the colour is divine! :love:

Elyxia

Rough_Rock
I agree with the above, definitely a beauty - especially in your latest pictures. Glad you're happy with the experience now.

iambernard45

Rough_Rock
Trade
I was just expecting more that is why paying a little high on the rough. But yea, it is all good. Hope you all like it too :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I still like your spinel very much; it looks very similar to the rough colour in your latest pictures and the inclusion isn't noticeable at all . I hope you will also share your rough shopping experience when you have the time and inclination.

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
:appl: :appl: For you and your adventure!

:appl: :appl: For the beautiful stone!

:confused: Please don't forget us when the next part of it's life comes around. Will it be set? Sold? Kept? Thank you for sharing this adventure......it's been quite a ride!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's cut rather deep, so perhaps that's where you're getting the darker color. I like the high crown though.

It's still a very nice stone, so congrats.

Xrisus

Shiny_Rock
Wonderful color! I look forward to what this gem's next chapter is!

iambernard45

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thanks guys, Next I will probably engage Hong Kong auction house (Christie's / Sotheby's / Poly Auction) for their estimate valuation. If the estimate valuation turns out attractive, I will then engage a jeweller to set it up nicely and place in auction. I doubt it will be valued high enough for decent profit or even cover all the costs/expenses, but who knows.. ^^

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iambernard45|1399346807|3666974 said:
Thanks guys, Next I will probably engage Hong Kong auction house (Christie's / Sotheby's / Poly Auction) for their estimate valuation. If the estimate valuation turns out attractive, I will then engage a jeweller to set it up nicely and place in auction. I doubt it will be valued high enough for decent profit or even cover all the costs/expenses, but who knows.. ^^

Have you done this before? If so, is the value they give you a range of what it might achieve at auction or is it what they might offer to you in order to secure it for one of their sales? I'm always curious how the buying and selling of stones works... :praise:

iambernard45

Rough_Rock
Trade
Yes, I have consigned to them before. It works like this, firstly, we arranged an appointment with the jewellery appraiser, show her the stone (normally need to be set unless very big stone) to consign, she will then give an estimate of maybe $50,000-$70,000. Normally the estimate is pretty conservative to attract more players to bid. If we are comfortable with the price, we sign all the procedures to consign to them and leave the stone with them to market in their auction books, internet, exhibitions. As long as the price hits the minimum price, we are obliged to sell even if we expect much more.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bernard,
How much do you think this spinel will sell for? I understand if you choose not to answer this question for personal/privacy reasons.

iambernard45

Rough_Rock
Trade
No secret Chrono, it is just that this is not a trading forum so I thought I will be banned posting up the prices and such. Anyway, this is a Burma Spinel. I am looking at $65,000 for the piece. I will post up the sequel story of this Spinel when i meet up with interested buyers or the auction houses :). As of now, I have only the prequel story hehe. Let me write it up later today.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bernard,
That's a very good point and I am sorry to put you in such a position. :oops: My rational was that you are likely to price the spinel above the budget of 99% of PSers based on your earlier $50K to $70K example estimation, and therefore would be highly unlikely to advertise and sell here. I would love to follow your sequel on this spinel!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results