shape
carat
color
clarity

Need advice on Final Choice (engagement ring)

Ookies

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone!

So I've finally decided between these two. I would love to get your opinions on the setting and the diamond I chose.

Platinum Band:
https://www.whiteflash.com/engageme...ings/imperial-diamond-engagement-ring-109.htm

Diamond:
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2544704.htm

Diamond - I'm trying to find something VS1-SI1
.9-1 carat
Color F-H
Preferably GIA cert, but AGS is okay as well.

Let me know if I made a good choice! =)

And also if you have experience dealing with whiteflash. Thanks!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you the guy or the girl?

Ookies

Rough_Rock
guy... I'm suppose to choose everything.. as she didn't give me any hints and such...

antelope1

Brilliant_Rock
The diamond itself looks good. Whiteflash ratings (the stars) are generally pretty accurate, IMO. If you want a slightly larger diamond, you could go down to VS2 and still get something reliably eye-clean. If she's blind as a bat (as I am), you could go down to an eye-clean SI1 and really wow her with the size (for the price and color that you've picked).

But the setting -- that is a lot of embellishment on the setting -- are you sure that she will like it? Does she have other rings that are highly embellished? Does she work with her hands? Is she clumsy? (e.g., will she feel self-conscious with all the embellishment on the ring?)

Perhaps -- since the setting is pretty pricey -- it might be better to go with a plain temp setting and let her pick her own setting later? After the proposal? IMO, if she doesn't know much about diamonds, she may very well care more about the *setting* than the rock itself. just something to consider...

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
I think the setting is a bit much, especially with the size of center you are looking at. I worry that it will overpower the center stone. I would rather do something sleeker and simpler like the legato w/pave or shared prong, or petite settings. Then the center will really be the star of the show.

That would give you an extra $1K or so to put towards the center stone, if you wanted to go a bit larger.
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2135185.htm

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock
I actually really like the setting you chose. Do you know what kind of jewelry she likes? Is she more simple or does she like more bling?

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
that setting is a bit too much for my taste as well...

ml2

Rough_Rock
i tend to agree that it might be a little much if you aren't for certain that that's what she has in mind or likes... but i think you said in a previous post that based on her hands, you thought she'd like something with a not-too-narrow band?

this one seems still pretty substantial, but still vintage-y/pretty with the pave (but kind of expensive)

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/caroline-pave-diamond-engagement-ring-by-vatche-682.htm

and both of the legatos suggested by others are lovely options too!

best of luck!

Cluless

Brilliant_Rock

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
farmer gal|1309913779|2962368 said:
I actually really like the setting you chose. Do you know what kind of jewelry she likes? Is she more simple or does she like more bling?

I do too! It's amazing!

CushionCutie

Rough_Rock
Please go through her jewelry box and tell us what kind of pieces are in there or what does she wear on a daily basis? More chunky stuff or fine delicate etc?

I think if you don't really know her wishes it's the safest to stick to a simple pave band, but I have to say I really like that Caroline Pave band ml2 posted!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous stone :sun:

Ditto questioning the setting, it's impressive and lovely but style is not for everyone - esp. if you have no input from her that leads you to believe she would like something with such intricate detail. If indeed you have no input beyond "diamond" "setting" A 14k temp cheapie for the proposal, and shopping for the final setting together afterward, is my rec.

hmr_mama

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful diamond. I echo what someone else said about VS2...I have a VS2 and I see no flaws...save some dough...or go up a touch in size. I really like the setting but I also like the idea of getting a simple 6 prong tiffany style and letting her choose her own--especially if you haven't had any input. As for Whiteflash; I can vouch for them...top of the line service and diamonds!

Lula

Ideal_Rock
farmer gal|1309913779|2962368 said:

I like it too. It is blingy, but it is well-designed and well-proportioned.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

lbling

Rough_Rock
I personally think the e-ring is too much for such a small centre stone. but I LOVE both the legato settings suggested and think that if your girlfriend doesn't wear ornate jewellery this is definitely something that she will love. I guess at the end of the day you know her style and what she likes. Good luck with your final decision and your proposal, I can't wait to see hand shots.

Ookies

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone!

I really appreciate everyone's support and advice!!

I'll go through her jewelry box and take some pics of what she wears... its just difficult to get away... as she's in the same room as me when I'm surfing this website...

That way everyone can tell me which way to lean =/... :errrr:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ookies|1309995805|2963198 said:
Hey everyone!

I'll go through her jewelry box and take some pics of what she wears... its just difficult to get away... as she's in the same room as me when I'm surfing this website...

Here's my issue with this approach - for me, I normally wear understated jewellery (though lately I've been branching out!). My closet consists primarily of plain, simple pieces in grey, black, brown, and beige. I have exactly four pairs of shoes with heels higher than 2". And I really wanted a "romantic" engagement ring - one with curves and swirls and frills. If DH had gone by my usual standard I'd have wound up with a classic solitaire, which is not at all what I had in mind!

What she has and wears may well not represent what sort of engagement ring she *wants* - and a setting like that is a big gamble, in both style and price!

Then there may also be a disconnect between what she/you want and what best suits her lifestyle - if she is in a profession that requires lots of hand-washing, gloves, etc. or if she is active with her hands and plans to wear the ring during these activities - hiking, climbing, etc. - a simple ring without pave will be more durable and less hassle. So you/she must decide whether aesthetic or practicality tips the scale..

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock
I have a .93 center stone with 1.25 ctw sides I just thought I would show it to you, hopefully you can see it, so you can compare size.

Jenny's%20ring%20002.jpg

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1309997833|2963219 said:
Hey everyone!

Here's my issue with this approach - for me, I normally wear understated jewellery (though lately I've been branching out!). My closet consists primarily of plain, simple pieces in grey, black, brown, and beige. I have exactly four pairs of shoes with heels higher than 2". And I really wanted a "romantic" engagement ring - one with curves and swirls and frills. If DH had gone by my usual standard I'd have wound up with a classic solitaire, which is not at all what I had in mind!

What she has and wears may well not represent what sort of engagement ring she *wants* - and a setting like that is a big gamble, in both style and price!

Then there may also be a disconnect between what she/you want and what best suits her lifestyle - if she is in a profession that requires lots of hand-washing, gloves, etc. or if she is active with her hands and plans to wear the ring during these activities - hiking, climbing, etc. - a simple ring without pave will be more durable and less hassle. So you/she must decide whether aesthetic or practicality tips the scale..

What Yssie says makes sense, but if the girlfriend in question wants to leave everything up to him to decide, she's probably either indifferent to what he chooses and will love whatever he picks because it's from him, or she's hoping that he'll pick up on clues about her 'style' and will get her what she wants based on that. I can definitely see why someone who dresses more conservatively would want a more ornate ring, or why someone who dresses in bolder styles would want a more classic ring that would match anything. Thinking about her lifestyle and job are also good indicators, but some people take off their e-rings for many activities. It's tough that the poster's girlfriend just wants him to choose. :cheeky:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rubybeth|1310157877|2964974 said:
Yssie|1309997833|2963219 said:
Hey everyone!

What Yssie says makes sense, but if the girlfriend in question wants to leave everything up to him to decide, she's probably either indifferent to what he chooses and will love whatever he picks because it's from him, or she's hoping that he'll pick up on clues about her 'style' and will get her what she wants based on that. I can definitely see why someone who dresses more conservatively would want a more ornate ring, or why someone who dresses in bolder styles would want a more classic ring that would match anything. Thinking about her lifestyle and job are also good indicators, but some people take off their e-rings for many activities. It's tough that the poster's girlfriend just wants him to choose. :cheeky:

Yes, you are right ruby! I concede that we PS nitpickers don't exactly represent the norm :cheeky:

Good luck Ookies! I have no doubt that no matter what ring she might have in mind, if any, happiness with being officially engaged will be the foremost feeling :))

Ookies

Rough_Rock
Hey Everyone!!!

And especially farmergal (appreciate the pic)

After much deliberation, I have decided to go with the original plan of these:

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2544704.htm

Setting:
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/imperial-diamond-engagement-ring-109.htm

I do understand that it may be a bit "blingy" but I really do think it'll look beautiful...

I also have one final question, should when inputting all those dimensions for the ring into the HCA, I got 3.0... should I be worried about this, I though you want something to be in the 1.0-2.0 so that it is very brilliant?

I will take final pics when I get the ring... Thank you for everyone's help!!!

Ookies

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone!

Just a quick update!

So I've finally paid for everything, but then I receive a phonecall from whiteflash in regards that my stone had been sold...

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2544704.htm

To make up for it... they gave me a similar diamond that was worth just a tab bit more for the SAME price, which I thought was amazing customer service from whiteflash... so I was just wondering why this new diamond is worth more considering its a VS2 and not a VS1... any help would be greatly appreciated!

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2668193.htm

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results