shape
carat
color
clarity

Need advice on EGL H SI1...very nervous

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

oneover137

Rough_Rock
Hi, I''ve purchased an engagement setting that I''m very happy with, and the jeweler (Mervis in VA) wants to sell me an EGL diamond - but I''m nervous about EGL, esp. since I think the jeweler buys from Europe. (I should also mention that I live within driving distance of DirtCheapDiamonds.) If I buy from Mervis, they will set the stone for free - taking responsibility for any damage done, and will give me an insurance apprasial. Together, this would would save me $200+.

Here are the details on the stone:
European Gemological Laboratory
Certificate: 2311151216 November 25, 2003
Weight: 0.78 Cts, Round Brilliant
5.94 - 5.91 - 3.60 mm
Depth: 60.8%, Table: 57%
Crown percent: 15%, Pavilion percent: 42%
Girdle: Medium, Faceted
Polish: Good, Symmetry: Very Good
Cutlet: None, Fluorescence: None
Clarity Grade: SI1, Color: H
Comments: Tolkowsky Ideal Cut

The HCA score is 1.3, but that''s using crown and pavilion percentages, not angles. They will sell it to me for $2700+tax. You can see the certificate online here: http://www.mervisdiamond.com/inventory/diamonds/dia_results.php3?shape=ROUND&fromprice=&toprice=&fromsize=0.78&tosize=0.78&colorh=H&clarf=SI1&order=order+by+size+asc

Any thoughts?
Many thanks,
Dave

highendgems

Rough_Rock
here is the bottom line, and please take this very seriously. if it is an 'EGL USA' cert from 2003 or thereafter, it will be very accurate-maybe a half grade off on color.

highendgems

Rough_Rock
i just checked the link to your cert--it is NOT USA, so stay far away from this stone unless you want the color grade 2 X off and the clarity grade 1-2X off. also, they are more linient on what is 'ideal'.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 1/16/2004 3:10:17 PM highendgems wrote:

if it is EGL (not USA) DO NOT ACCEPT the gradings. EGL (not USA) is not just forgiving of bad stones in their grading...they are criminal.----------------

Would it be possible to tone down your responses to use less inflamatory absolutes? I think it would be in your own best interest.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
The price isn't even good for what you're (we hope) getting. You can save much more on the internet, especially considering you won't be paying sales tax.

0.78 "ideal" H SI1 with EGL cert

Or check out Dirt Cheap Diamonds in person.

sesnyder

Rough_Rock
To each his own. I have read a lot about how EGL is considered "inferior" to GIA, but an EGL stone came out the winner in a group I was looking at and I didn't look back.

If the diamond's sparkle hits the spot, don't let the certification bother you...

EdSkinner

Shiny_Rock
Alot of EGL certs are pretty accurate, espically on the cut grade. They may be alittle liberal on color and clairty, just remember that color and clarity are subjective. Two graders grading the same stone can come up with different results, but should only be one grade different on the grade. My opinon of the 4C's is: 1st - carat weight (not subjective) 2 - color (you can see if the stone is light or dark) 3 - cut (you can see how much light is comming back to your eyes) and last clarity (if you can't see it, why worry. Even if you can see it, if it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb it gives you something to look for to reidentify your stone). Just make sure that if you want the EGL stone make sure it matches the cert. Have the jeweler show you the inclusions in the stone with a microscope and match it up with the plot on the cert (make sure he uses dark field lighting, where the light comes from the bottom of the stone, not overhead lighting. If you are sceptical, you are going to want to get and independant appraisal anyway and then the $200 that you save will be spent on that. But if it matches I wouldn't worry to much about the quality grading, just the price. Also, SI1 in that size range, you shouldn't be able to see the inclusions, SI2 if you stare at it long enough you might. Hound
naughty.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results