shape
carat
color
clarity

Need advice on choosing stones for diamond studs earring.

sirrtuan

Rough_Rock

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Need advice on choosing stones for diamond studs earring

I consider the two .40 H VS1's to be a good match. Always look at the diameter measurements because you want those measurements to at least overlap. You also want table sizes to be close, and those are fine.

People will tell you that VS1 is unnecessary for studs, but I know from experience that sometimes you just have to go with it in order to get something in the size and color you want. The prices aren't that much more in the small stones, anyway, in my opinion.

sirrtuan

Rough_Rock

So is it over kill to go with H VS1 for studs?
Should I look into I and SI1?
My budget is max at $1800 and that include the setting.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Well, that totally depends on your personal preference for color and clarity. My first pair of studs were H VS2 and my current pair are G VS1-VS2 (because they were the best match in the size I wanted). Many others go with I SI1 to get a larger size, but so much depends on whether you value the stone quality in a smaller size over lower color/clarity to get a larger size. I think the pricing on those two stones is really excellent and actually less than some of the slightly larger H VS2's, if you noticed. I'd have to look and see what size you'd get if you went down to I color to compare.

Gosh, look at the price:

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1380123.asp

I'd be tempted to buy the H stones if you don't!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Dancing Fire|1306625101|2932736 said:
diamondseeker2006|1306589851|2932373 said:
nice pair,but true H&A??.. :confused:

I don't think you need true H&A for earrings. But the price should reflect that they aren't. And I think it does. I like the pair. I think they would make a very nice pair of studs.

Personally, I'd be VERY happy with J SI's for studs. And that's what I plan on getting when I get mine. But I think as a pair these are lovely and I don't see any J SI's that are a better deal than these, or give you an appreciable size boost (only reasons do drop down in color and clarity IMO). So I'd say go for it.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yeah, I checked similar H&A stones and they were a LOT higher. So these are well priced for ideal cut for sure.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/oec-resets-1-48-ct.158870/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/oec-resets-1-48-ct.158870/[/URL]

I got lucky trolling on eBay. I went a little warmer and with less clarity than I planned. In my humble opinion I think you can to go a warmer color in order to achieve a little bigger. I originally thought I would only go for 1 tct. Again, I was patient and shopped it. Diamond prices have really gone up. Depends on your timing and willingness to shop around.

sirrtuan

Rough_Rock

I'm confused. So "true hearts" from James Allen is not H&A?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

sirrtuan|1306670783|2933036 said:
I'm confused. So "true hearts" from James Allen is not H&A?

Some vendors have stricter requirements for "true" hearts and arrows than does JA. So some of theirs are and some are not. You can't look at diamonds that are close to H&A and visually tell anyway. As long as you are buying AGS0, you know you are getting a top cut quality diamond. Please don't worry about that.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results