shape
carat
color
clarity

Need advice on altering my custom band

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamluvr

Rough_Rock
Hi, I''m feeling pretty frazzled right now, and I''d like professional help on this if anyone can help me.
1.gif
I recently had this band custom-made for my e-ring. The stones that were put in this band are 0.36 cttw baguettes and three 8 point round diamonds in the center. After trying it on today, I feel that the 8 pointers are too big because the diameter of them "spill" over the diameter of the center diamond of my e-ring (which is 7.13 mm)

I think I want to change the stones to 6 points each. I think this will shorten the width of them put together by about a millimeter and possibly it will fit better under the center stone.

My question is - will this be hard to do and what exactly will they have to do? The prongs holding the baguettes in place are already angled somewhat to accomodate the larger width of these 3 stones, but I would like them perfectly straight with the baguette prongs in my e-ring, so by shortening the overall width of the 3 round stones by about a millimeter, how will they straighten the baguette prong? If they have to melt the metal down just to make things fit right I would rather not have it fixed, but will it have to come to that, or can they just bend things here and there to fix it?

Also my FH said that by removing the stones the prongs will become weakened, is this true? (prongs are platinum)

I feel silly wanting to ask the jeweler to change the diamonds to such an insignificantly smaller carat weight size, but I feel it may make a difference in the overall look. Does anyone agree? I would hate for him to fix it and it look the same! I can''t help but feel like I may be ruining the ring.
sad.gif
And I don''t want my jeweler to get mad at me either.

But then again... Would this minor change in sizes REALLY make that much of a difference or should I just stick with what I have? Noone will be inspecting it as close as I will, so should I just forget about this whole thing? I''m so confused and frustrated! HELP!
errrr.gif

weddingband1.JPG

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ask your jeweler to consider this - push the center stone away a little and move the two side stones in a little. That might get you a better effect anyway.

The platinum prongs should not mind being worked a little.

diamluvr

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 9/14/2003 6:16:23 AM Cut Nut wrote:

Ask your jeweler to consider this - push the center stone away a little and move the two side stones in a little. That might get you a better effect anyway.

The platinum prongs should not mind being worked a little.
----------------

Thank you for your advice. Maybe that will make it look better, round out the bottom better. So if I tell them to do this.. Is it just a matter of pushing the prongs in different directions? They won't have to completely melt the ring back down, will they?

NewYorker

Shiny_Rock
So strange that you have this ring!! As I just saw this one online I think at Superbcert.com and am considering having one made for me to fit next to my e-ring, but I'd have white gold not platinum. Where did you get yours made? Did your local jeweler make it?
My center diamond on my e-ring is only .69 carats so I was thinking of the 3 round ones being .05 each and then .15 ct for each bag. to match my e-ring bags.
I'm still wondering if I should do it or not because then I could only wear it with my e-ring and not by itself.
21.gif

diamluvr

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 9/14/2003 4:13:37 PM NewYorker wrote:

So strange that you have this ring!! As I just saw this one online I think at Superbcert.com and am considering having one made for me to fit next to my e-ring, but I'd have white gold not platinum. Where did you get yours made? Did your local jeweler make it?

----------------

Hi NewYorker, yes, I had my local jeweler in the diamond district make it for me. Some background, my e-ring center stone is 1.35 ct RB with 0.16 each baguettes. The stones they put into my band were three 8 point rounds and 0.18 ct each baguettes (they used straight baguettes instead of tapered to perfectly flush with the tapers in the e-ring, I don't know how it would've looked with tapered).

Honestly, I really think these 8 pointers are too big for my center stone and I feel like it takes too much away from it. It really is a beautiful set, but it is REALLY flashy, almost borderline gaudy! Like my FH said "It's like one big diamond shine"

I'm hoping I can downsize to 6 pointers and ask them to form more of an even half moon shape because the band looks squarish at the bottom with all these stones crowding in. But even at 6 points I don't know if it will detract from the center stone (for me they make it look smaller instead of enhancing the size).

But then again - maybe I'm just not used to wearing this much diamond and maybe I shouldn't do anything and I'll eventually get used it?
confused.gif

NewYorker

Shiny_Rock
do you mean the diamond district in NY? If so, could you give me the name and address and number to the jeweler who made it? I go there fairly often and would love to have him give me an estimate.

I know what you mean about it being flashy, but I think you'll get used to it in time. Remember when you first got your e-ring? I'm sure you thought that was really flashy too at the time and now you're used to it, right? Since my RB is "only" .69 ct I don't think it would look too much for me, maybe just a little fancy.

Thanks!

NewYorker

Shiny_Rock
oops, forgot to say you can PM me with that info. please

fuffi

Shiny_Rock
Diamluvr,

I would wear it for a little while first before you make any big changes. If you still aren't happy after another week or two of wear I would tell your jeweler your concerns and see what he suggests. You may just want to get the shape adjusted as Gary suggested.

I have a 3 stone princess cut e-ring. When I was shopping for a wedding band I was set on a thin diamond band. My husband and my jeweler talked me into larger stones than I really wanted. I thought the two rings together were really too much at first. Too flashy as you said. I was almost embarrassed to wear them. You know what? I love my set now and am so glad I opted for the larger stones.

diamluvr

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 9/14/2003 8:32:19 PM fuffi wrote:

Diamluvr,

I would wear it for a little while first before you make any big changes. If you still aren't happy after another week or two of wear I would tell your jeweler your concerns and see what he suggests. You may just want to get the shape adjusted as Gary suggested.

I have a 3 stone princess cut e-ring. When I was shopping for a wedding band I was set on a thin diamond band. My husband and my jeweler talked me into larger stones than I really wanted. I thought the two rings together were really too much at first. Too flashy as you said. I was almost embarrassed to wear them. You know what? I love my set now and am so glad I opted for the larger stones.

----------------

fuffi, it's funny you say that because that is exactly how I feel... embarassed! I never thought I'd feel that way about wearing beautiful diamonds! I don't want people snickering behind my back about how someone my age (mid-twenties) shouldn't be wearing what I'm wearing. My friends' sets have minimal stones too, so that makes me stand out even more from them. It's nice to hear from someone that you're happy with your set now even though you thought it was too much before. BTW, I'd love to see a pic if you have one!

Oh, and about wearing it for a week or so.. I'm not getting married until May and FH doesn't want me to wear the ring again until he puts it on my finger at the altar, so I need to correct any problems I have with it now (it's staying at the jewelers til then). Once he gives it to me, he will be very hurt if I decide to change something about it later (he's very sentimental). It was hard enough telling him that I wasn't completely happy with it now!
errrr.gif

fuffi

Shiny_Rock
Diamluvr,

I had lost track of you post. Have you made any decisions about your ring?

I would love to send you a pic of mine but my camera has no macro setting and trying to photograph jewelry is hopeless. It looks very much like this Verragio set except with basket set stones instead of these V shaped prongs. Also, my wedding band stones are .15 each so they are closer to the size of the e-ring side stones.

http://www.billbarnes.com/display.asp?Product=6851&Department=7&SubDepartment=0&Category=0&SubCategory=0

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Keep in mind that diamonds SHRINK as you wear them. No not really..but to your eye as you get used to wearing them..they tend to look smaller. So you may be disappointed later that you changed them out for smaller ones. I would wait and see what you think when you wear the ring for a while even if that is not until next year. If it REALLY doesn't feel right at that point, then modify it then. But right now without having worn the ring, it's easy to second-guess yourself and worry. Just don't do anything you'll regret later...which is why I'd wait and see when you actually wear the ring daily for a few weeks...I got used to my ring really quickly; though at times I see pictures of it on my hand or something and realize it stands out and is very flashy....but to me it's not any longer!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results