shape
carat
color
clarity

Need advice on a setting!!

ElectricEvoIX

Rough_Rock
Ok so last month I picked up the stone for my soon to be fiance's engagement ring. The jeweler is the father of a close friend of mine so he threw in a standard white gold setting for the time being till I made up my mind as to the setting. Now after our discussions about rings and all my fiance is between 2 different settings:

1) an eternity band setting:

2) a 3 row micro pave setting (can't find a pic on the boards here with a round brilliant)

I like both settings for the ring but her concern is she doesn't want the ring and matching wedding band to swallow the stone which I agree with also. She doesn't know I have the stone already nor does she know when i'm asking her but she wants me to pick the setting. The reason for the standard setting was I was going to ask her with that and then go back to the jeweler to have her pick the setting she liked most with the stone. She'd rather I pick it, no pressure!! lol

The stone is a 2.40 round brilliant F color stone ideal cut. I was told you could set it higher to make the stone look bigger and to use a 6 prong setting with a larger stone like this.

These are pics of the stone I took the day I picked it up in the standard setting:

her ring finger is about the same proportion as my pinky finger so this is what the ring would look like on her finger as it stands.

Any help/feedback or even pics of people who have seen round brilliants in both types of settings would be great! I appreciate any help I can get, thanks again!!

ring2.png

e-ring1.JPG

e-ring2.JPG

e-ring3.jpg

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, I would propose with the ring you have (I think that is what you are planning), then since it sounds like you are going to the jewelers to let her pick settings, then that is what you should do. I think that is a big enough stone that you won't have problems with the setting swallowing the stone. Take the ring with you and then you can see what she likes best. :)) Also you can make sure it fits too since you can't really size eternity rings.

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock
I would go with the eternity setting, if I was making the choice :appl: I love pave, but unless it is a top quality they can become a really big headache with stones falling out, etc.

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock
Oh also I think it would look lovely in a six prong I would not set it high that is a big rock to be knocking around :twirl:

ElectricEvoIX

Rough_Rock
Skippy|1326383813|3101226 said:
Well, I would propose with the ring you have (I think that is what you are planning), then since it sounds like you are going to the jewelers to let her pick settings, then that is what you should do. I think that is a big enough stone that you won't have problems with the setting swallowing the stone. Take the ring with you and then you can see what she likes best. :)) Also you can make sure it fits too since you can't really size eternity rings.

Well I guess in terms of an eternity band I woluld just have the stone go about 3/4 of the way down on both sides because the jeweler did bring up that point that it would be a pain to size with diamonds all the way around it. Thank you for your opinion!!

ElectricEvoIX

Rough_Rock
farmer gal|1326384286|3101232 said:
Oh also I think it would look lovely in a six prong I would not set it high that is a big rock to be knocking around :twirl:

yeah def think i'm going to go with the 6 prong, the eternity setting with a matching band would look great but like you said before I like the pave I guess more of the concern is with a matching wedding band if it would be too much with 3 row micro pave bands next to each other lol ohh decisions decisions

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the shared prong but dont go full eternity...leave space for resizing if necessary.

(actually, I'd make her pick).

ElectricEvoIX

Rough_Rock
tyty333|1326387581|3101282 said:
I like the shared prong but dont go full eternity...leave space for resizing if necessary.

(actually, I'd make her pick).

yeah I wouldn't go fill eternity and the funny thing is i'm trying to make her pick but she's now pushing the decision on me.

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't do the pave or you'll probably find yourself replacing the set in a few years. Those have to be babied, and we've heard far too many stories here about lost stones. Two 3-sided pave rings are going to scratch each other. Not to mention they can't be put in an ultrasonic and are going to be harder to keep clean. And truthfully, we have had eternity sets that chipped the girdles of the stones in the other ring. These are things that the average person doesn't know when they go to buy rings, but since I do know, I wouldn't buy either unless she is going to wear a plain spacer band between them. I just wear one ring with a plain shank and diamond wedding bands with it to avoid those problems!

And like someone else said, don't set a 2.4 ct. stone high or she will be more likely to accidentally whack it on something and chip the diamond! A 2.4 is a large diamond no matter the height it is set!

ElectricEvoIX

Rough_Rock
^ thank you both very much for the info and feedback, very much appreciated!!

geisha_gyrl

Shiny_Rock
First, congrats on such a beautiful diamond! :appl: I agree with everyone else about skipping on the eternity and pave setting. I have friends with pave settings and all have had stones fall out. One had hers fall out within a year of having it.

If you want to make sure the sizing and the style is absolutely what she wants, I'd propose with the current plain setting.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results