shape
carat
color
clarity

Need advice on a pearl necklace

missyminx

Shiny_Rock
Hello everyone, I recently purchased a hanadama necklace, 9.0-9.5mm.

Can I get your advice please:

- is it normal to have pin points or fish bites on a certified necklace?

- is it too short for a smart casual outfit? I am mostly in smart casual. I also have a short neck, and feel like at this length it accentuates the shortness of my neck.

- how does one usually go about lengthening the necklace, do they have to undo every single pearl and restring completely? I am in Singapore, and hope to make any adjustments locally, if it's an option.

- would it be too much to match the necklace with a 9mm pair of studs?

here's a photo, please excuse the baddd skin!
IMG_0283.jpeg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have never owned or seen a Hanadama quality pearl necklace and do not know the criteria in order to a strand of pearls to be certified to this quality.

However, I do not expect to find many surface imperfections on gem-quality pearls.

Difficult to tell the imperfections mentioned based on the only photo in your original post.

As for the length, personally, being plus size with a chunky short neck myself, I would avoid wearing tops with round and high necklines, and short necklaces less than 18in.

I prefer to wear low and open V-necks. The likes of done up Mo and/or Mandarin collars would not suit me.

However, that's my personal preferences.

Based on the only photo available, I do believe the pearls are a good size for you, however, it may be a couple of pearls too short, and the round neckline of the top you were wearing in the photo would not suit a longer strand.

Again, that's my personal preferences and opinion.

If I were to extend the strand, I would probably go back to the original vendor and ask them to find matching pearls to extend it for me.

The entire strand would need to be re-knotted, as it would not be possible to bolt additional pearls at one end of an existing strand due to the gimp ring protecting the thread at the end etc...

I am not an expert by any means, my gem-quality pearls are cultured freshwater pearls only. Hopefully those who have purchased Hanadama quality Akoya pearls would come along soon to advise.

DK :))

mamong

Rough_Rock
The normal acceptable amount of blemishes depend on the grade of the pearls. I have just restrung my psl certified gem strand today and I noticed under magnifier that some pearls also have blemishes unnoticeable with my naked eyes partly because those pearls were drilled near the blemishes.

I think the length of your necklace is great for both casual and more dressed-up outfits. I wear mine with tee and denim most of the time.

However I’m not keen pairing it with same or larger size studs; It really doesn’t look good on me. I wear mine with with smaller pearl studs (my necklace is 8-8.5mm and wear it with 6.5mm studs) or diamond studs. Each person is different. On others it looks exquisite to pair the necklace the same size or larger studs. You can just try different pairings and see yourself how you feel with each combination.

If you lengthen your strand I think you have to redo completely the stringing. Usually you can always ask the restringing at the local branch. You can also learn and try stringing yourself. That what I did with the help of shared knowledge and experience by wonderful people in this forum .

Last edited:

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
You can see the criteria deployed by the pearl science lab here https://sinjuken.co.jp/certification_en/. remember it is a business. Note that adding pearls would invalidate the certificate as it stands.
I always add a couple of pearls to every strand because one strand on its own usually shortens anything but the thinnest of necks. (you should chose your clothes to suit your pearls, not the other way round!)
Yes, the whole thing would need to be restrung, that's just how it works out, and yes, whoever is matching the pearls would need the necklace. You probably would not believe how hard it is to match white pearls!
As to the earrings, go with the size which is the same size as a pair you already have which you wear all the time and feel happy with.

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
I can't comment on the quality - they look nice to my uneducated eye. Maybe add a larger clasp - would that help the length?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is an old photo of Queen Mary wearing different lengths of diamond collet necklaces for illustration purposes:

_methode_times_prod_web_bin_5725a098-ac6d-11ed-bfe8-f09d3c021ab0.jpg

My preference would be for No. 4 strand counting from top down. The lowest one goes beyond the neckline of her dress which would be a no-no for me personally.

The top two are too tight for my liking.

She has a long neck and can accommodate that many necklaces, and it was probably the fashion at the time (about 1911).

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally do not like matchy matchy jewellery.

Therefore, I am unlikely to wear white pearl studs with this necklace, however, I would consider wearing Tahitian studs.

In reality, I would probably wear a pair of diamond earrings, most likely to be clusters as I don't have a pair of 10mm diamond (earth-mined or LGD) studs currently.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you post a photo of the PSL report?

Some blemishing - a few spots and fishbites, a few pearls with some surface texture or skin wrinkling - all normal. Even for Hanadama.

missyminx

Shiny_Rock
@dk168 the matchy matchy doesn’t work for the necklace, or perhaps I’m not used to it. I tried it on with a pair of 9mm akoyas and then a pair of solitaire studs, the stud and necklace combo was more wearable. I laughed at the photo of Queen Mary as she has an elegant neck and still looks squeezed in the top few necklaces, I cannot imagine how my short neck would look with just the top two pieces!! Also agree with the neckline comment. I need to get more V neck tops and dresses!

@mamong I took some photos of the blemishes, they are quite visible with the naked eye. Please let me know what you think. One was near the hole as you also noticed. Perhaps my expectation was too high?

@Pearlescence thank for the good point re the certificate. Does it make sense to lengthen the necklace? Or get a longer clasp as @Ann suggested?

@yssie here is a photo of the certificate.

D1CFCCAF-8386-4D02-BC21-CBDDB44AF860.jpeg

Attachments

• 16CD6AC1-61C8-4565-BF6A-24D20AB11429.jpeg
    16CD6AC1-61C8-4565-BF6A-24D20AB11429.jpeg
    107.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 91978282-C998-4DCE-9607-17B4283974A4.jpeg
    91978282-C998-4DCE-9607-17B4283974A4.jpeg
    104.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 2F626160-DE3C-4D16-AF46-171FE2751D09.jpeg
    2F626160-DE3C-4D16-AF46-171FE2751D09.jpeg
    207 KB · Views: 26
  • 9FAD2400-B0AA-4A89-9065-BF377C447446.jpeg
    9FAD2400-B0AA-4A89-9065-BF377C447446.jpeg
    90.7 KB · Views: 26
  • C23B505D-0490-483F-A7D2-A23A0DBFF477.jpeg
    C23B505D-0490-483F-A7D2-A23A0DBFF477.jpeg
    93.3 KB · Views: 23

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That blemishing looks like a “normal” amount to me. Some strands have more, some strands have less… I’ve certainly seen more blemishing in Hanadama strands. Mikimoto‘s AAA grade tends to be very minimally blemished, but even those strands might well have a splotch or three.

I completely understand not being sure what to expect… I’ve had to reset expectations several times myself. I honestly think your strand looks very nice and I think it’s likely nicer than many many Hanadama strands out there. And it’s really beautiful on you - the colour and luster shine in your photos!! Your cert is for Hanadama, which is what I wanted to confirm. You definitely didn’t get a dud strand. I can say that much just from your photos.

For extra length - restringing a strand is not a big deal at all. Shouldn’t be expensive. The (much) harder part will be finding matching pearls. Those oval link style clasps are a great way to gain an extra few mm… If you need more length than that you might consider gold beads or colour-contrasting pearls? If you want additional matched pearls I think you’ll want to either mail or take your strand to someone who can source those extras for you. Not something I’d want try to DIY.

Last edited:

mamong

Rough_Rock
I don’t have deep knowledge in pearl grading.
I agree with @yssie the blemishing would be acceptable to me. Only a couple beads with visible blemishes. However to the persons in front of you those blemishes wont be visible.

I eyeballed again my strand and I also have a pearl on which the blemish is visible to naked eye. I can accept minor blemishes on only a couple of beads out of 50, considering the price I paid for my necklace.

A side note: I compared my Mikimoto bracelet graded 23 (premium for lustre and Mikimoto quality for surface); even after 7Y of use and I’m not the most caring person (I like and often stack it with gold bangles), the Mikimoto pearl surface even at just Mikimoto quality(medium) grade can stand tall against the surface of psl gem graded; but they come at a premium.

To lengthen your necklace locally, I don’t know Singapore very well but maybe you can reach out to Pearly Lustre or Pearl Falco if they can help finding matching pearls and you can go and choose them in person.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
its a beautiful necklace
wear it for a while, you may get used to the length
i think its all personal preference but i do not consider any particular length to be too casual or too formal

yes you need to get the whole necklace restrung
but im sure Singapore has plenty of quality pearl stringers
i like the idea of a bigger clasp but you might still need a couple of extra pearls

a new necklace strung on silk will loosen up after a few days wear so go put that lovelly necklace on right now !

just about all my necklaces need restringing to make them longer

missyminx

Shiny_Rock
@yssie @mamong @Daisys and Diamonds you have been so assuring! The issue was managing my expectations to what was realistic for pearls. After that, once the necklace is on, all the blemishes really do disappear. The decision has been made: it could really do with a few pearls extra, maybe 2 on each side.

Thank you for the local recommendations @mamong!
There is a local jewellery fair in July; I will take the necklace there to be matched and restrung and maybe find a nice clasp. Hopefully there is a wider range of pearls to choose from. If the pearl sellers don't come though; I will go to Pearly Lustre or Pearl Falco.

Have a lovely day ladies and thanks again!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@yssie @mamong @Daisys and Diamonds you have been so assuring! The issue was managing my expectations to what was realistic for pearls. After that, once the necklace is on, all the blemishes really do disappear. The decision has been made: it could really do with a few pearls extra, maybe 2 on each side.

Thank you for the local recommendations @mamong!
There is a local jewellery fair in July; I will take the necklace there to be matched and restrung and maybe find a nice clasp. Hopefully there is a wider range of pearls to choose from. If the pearl sellers don't come though; I will go to Pearly Lustre or Pearl Falco.

Have a lovely day ladies and thanks again!

we will need neck shots once its restrung with the extras ;)2
good luck finding nice matching ones
keep us updated how its going
=)2

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results