carat
color
clarity

Need Advice on a K VS2 Diamond

AndGabe

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

First time poster here. :twirl:

My FI and I have decided to upgrade my current engagement ring, and I need a yay or nay on one of the diamonds we're looking at.

Some background: I currently have a G SI1 diamond. I've looked at lower-colored diamonds in the K/L/M range, and prefer them to my G. Clarity wise, the higher the better. My current diamond has a visible black crystal in the middle of the table and it bugs me to no end.

So... my FI and I contacted several jewelers, and we think this K VS2 diamond might work. We were told the inclusion in the middle of the table wouldn't be noticed unless we used a loupe. There is also a tiny feather near the girdle that can be covered over with a prong. What do you guys think?

SPECS

Shape and Style: Round Brilliant
Measurements: 6.30 - 6.34 x 3.89 mm
Carat Weight: 0.952
Total Depth: 61.6%
Table: 55.9%
Culet: Pointed
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Color Grade: AGS 3.5 (K)
Clarity Grade: AGS 4 (VS2)
Fluorescence: Negligible
Table: 55.9%
Crown Angle: 34.3
Crown Height: 15.0%
Girdle: Faceted, 1.3% to 3.7%
Pavilion Angle: 40.9
Pavilion Depth: 43.2%
Star Length: 50%
Lower Girdle Length: 78%
Total Depth: 61.6%

diag1.jpg

slg47

Ideal_Rock
the numbers look good. do you have any images of the diamond?

AndGabe

Rough_Rock
I'm waiting for the real photos... they said it might take a few days. Here's the light performance map from the AGS cert. Does this help?

diag2.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks good... did you check the price to see if it's priced well? Otherwise I see no issue.

AndGabe

Rough_Rock
The stone is around $3100, slightly less when paid with cash than c/c. One thing I forgot to mention - the jeweler said the stone is more like an L when compared to his GIA master diamond set, even though the cert says it's a K. Does that matter too much?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
AGS is occassionally inaccurate with color. So I'm not surprised. Ultimately what matters is you being happy with how it looks... and that you need to know that if you ever need to get it re-certified it might come back an L. How is the price compared to similar L's?

This one is hearts and arrows (so it will cost more)... but it's an N SI and priced the same as your K/L VS2. http://highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=view-id-diamond-infinity&id=488

AndGabe

Rough_Rock
I haven't seen too may K/L/M VS1-2 that's just under 1 carat. Around the 1 carat mark, they are way more expensive. I have seen some cheaper "L, faint browns", but our jeweler advised against them.

Thanks for that N SI1 link. It's a wee bit over our budget, and I'm scared to go for another SI1 stone.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
AndGabe|1316058700|3017995 said:
I haven't seen too may K/L/M VS1-2 that's just under 1 carat. Around the 1 carat mark, they are way more expensive. I have seen some cheaper "L, faint browns", but our jeweler advised against them.

Thanks for that N SI1 link. It's a wee bit over our budget, and I'm scared to go for another SI1 stone.

if you are interested, I know High performance diamonds has a 'see it to believe it' program where you can order the diamond and check it out yourself and then send it back if you aren't in love with it! I have heard that infinity stones are cut to minimize visibility of inclusions, but there is nothing wrong with wanting vs.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think my post was unclear. I think your K VS stone is well priced (that's what I meant by posting the Infinity). Have you seen it in person... or does it have a good return policy for you? Plus, the vendor sounds very honest and transparent.

AndGabe

Rough_Rock
Thanks Gypsy! I get what you're saying. Infinity diamonds are indeed amazing.

We haven't seen the K/L stone in person yet. My jeweler promised some photos by next Monday, so I will have them soon. They have a good return policy, so worst case... we get our money back, less original shipping.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results