shape
carat
color
clarity

Need advice on a diamond recut

sarahbeth519

Rough_Rock
Have been considering a recut for the past few years on my 2.57 RB. I can admit I was definitely sucked in by the size and didn't know much about cut or brilliance at the time. But after staring at it for the past 5 years, I can see that the diamond definitely doesn't perform at its best and it has started to bug me.

So, I decided recently to have it reset into a YG bezel and figured now would be the time to really look into the recut.. The stats on my diamond are pretty meh.

Cut Grade 3
Color Grade L
Carat Weight 2.57
Clarity SI1
Diameter 8.9 (which i believe is big for a stone of this carat weight?)

We sent the diamond to Southwest Diamond Cutters and they have said the diamond needs a total overhaul.
They could get it to a Triple EX ideal but the stone would go down to just 2.2 Carats and a 8.3 diameter. That lose in diameter would be super noticeable right?

What is everyone's thoughts. Should I do it?? Especially considering my love for bezels, I think an ideal cut is almost necessary with that kind of setting, no?

I don't plan on selling the diamond ever, but to fall below the 2.25 carat weight is a zinger.

Last edited:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We sent the diamond to Southwest Diamond Cutters and they have said the diamond needs a total overhaul.
They could get it to a Triple X ideal but the stone would go down to just 2.2 Carats and a 8.3 diameter.

What is everyone's thoughts. Should I do it?? Especially considering my love for bezels, I think an ideal cut is almost necessary with that kind of setting, no?

I don't plan on selling the diamond ever, but to fall below the 2.25 carat weight is a zinger.
I would do it but that JMO. Here's my recut story...
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...t-after-the-recut-by-infinity-diamonds.24501/

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Hi!
I had a similar situation with my previous stone. I did a recut but ultimately was still not happy for various reasons. With that said, because the recut did improve the stone, it gave me a better trade-in value toward my current stone. So it may be worth it to you either for the sake of improving the stone, or for having a better trade-in.
Do you know what the specs are for your stone... maybe that would help others here know how "far off" your stone is from desired proportions.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Thank you (yikes I'm lame!)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd seriously consider it!

sarahbeth519

Rough_Rock
Screen Shot 2019-08-27 at 8.07.41 PM.jpg
here are the specs of the stone. terrible picture i know!

Reactions: AV_

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Brian Gavin recut mine from 2.5 to 2.25 and I love the improvement. I don’t notice any size difference frankly.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I wonder what an ASET may say about this stone, since the measurements are very close to a much nicer HCA scores.

sarahbeth519

Rough_Rock
I wonder what an ASET may say about this stone, since the measurements are very close to a much nicer HCA scores.
can you expand on this?? not sure what you mean :)

Reactions: AV_

hypermom

Shiny_Rock
I had my diamond recut by Brian Gavin in 2015 and I was happy with the recut although I lost size because it was a shallow stone (also had girdle chips). I never planned on upgrading that stone, but my husband offered for our anniversary this year so I traded it in at HPD. I don't regret it at all. If you are sure you are keeping the stone I would seriously consider recutting, but you may also want to consider upgrading it with a vendor as is. Not sure if that is an option for you. I just found even with the recut, I wanted a better performing stone. But that was just my experience. It's hard to lose size, but you do gain better performance.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@sarahbeth519 Measurements on reports are always a little imprecise. It is better to judge the diamond using an ASET (or IS) than just by numbers.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Show us the rest of the report - you've got a >2005 AGS DQD.
Blank out the report number if you want.
As posted your stone is far from terrible.
Have you compared it to precision-cut stones in-person?
What does Southwest Diamond Cutters want to do to it that's going to necessitate so much carat loss? Ex. GIA and AGS measure girdle thickness differently, and part of yours is certainly overly thin, but whether or not that really matters...

sarahbeth519

Rough_Rock
ok here is the entire report. Screen Shot 2019-08-27 at 10.44.37 PM.jpg

sarahbeth519

Rough_Rock
Show us the rest of the report - you've got a >2005 AGS DQD.
Blank out the report number if you want.
As posted your stone is far from terrible.
Have you compared it to precision-cut stones in-person?
What does Southwest Diamond Cutters want to do to it that's going to necessitate so much carat loss? Ex. GIA and AGS measure girdle thickness differently, and part of yours is certainly overly thin, but whether or not that really matters...
southwest has been talking directly to my jeweler here in colorado, so i will call them in the morning myself to get more info

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@sarahbeth519 I’ve used southwest diamond cutters on an OEC of mine that had a chip, and had Ashley look at three heirloom diamonds of mine to see about a H&A recut. Ashley is amazing and one of the best. You are in good hands.

In regards to if you should do it or not, that’s a tough one because you are losing so much diameter. When Ashley looked at one of my stones I asked what would need to be done to brighten it, not necessarily bring it up to an ideal cut. You may want to ask if there is a way to make the diamond better, but still retain its size. Ashley will work with you.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve got no educated advice to give - sounds like you are in good hands.
But I wanted to say that I really hope if you decide to proceed - that you document the process here and include a bunch of pictures!
I think this is fascinating.

sarahbeth519

Rough_Rock
talked to SWDC this morning and i think i have decided to go with a OEC cut instead! it was something i was considering but forgot to mention above). I LOVE vintage cuts and doing that will actually maintain more of the weight and diameter! Plus it will look beautiful with the warm color. thoughts?!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Picture of your current diamond?
And can they provide pictures of that they ‘think’ they can do?

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
talked to SWDC this morning and i think i have decided to go with a OEC cut instead! it was something i was considering but forgot to mention above). I LOVE vintage cuts and doing that will actually maintain more of the weight and diameter! Plus it will look beautiful with the warm color. thoughts?!
Love this idea!!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Picture of your current diamond?
And can they provide pictures of that they ‘think’ they can do?
Yes, please can you post photos of it's current form?

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I love that you are going to do an OEC!!!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
! would consider cutting it to a kick butt 60/60 cut and saving some size over an ideal cut.
Now the girdle or variation on the crown may prevent it but a pavilion only recut to 40.7 with 80% lgf% would turn it into a kicken 60/60 stone with the least amount of weight loss but it might not be possible.
Even if you have to move the crown a bit to clean up the girdle you would lose far less size than going to a modern ideal cut.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results