shape
carat
color
clarity

need advice on 1.57c round brilliant diamond...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sparkliest

Rough_Rock
Hi!! I'm another newbie to this forum... you guys are great!! thanks for all the helpful info. I'd like your evaluation of this diamond that I've been looking at. Here are the GIA specs:

measurements: 7.45-7.54 x 4.63
carat weight: 1.57c
Depth: 61.8%
Table: 56%
girdle: medium to slightly thick
culet: very small
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Good
Clarity: VS1
Color: H
Flourescence: Strong Blue

The price offered is $8900, which includes a platinum setting. The store didn't offer any other instruments to examine the diamond except for the 10x scope.

here are my reservations:
1) is this a good price?
2) does the strong blue flourescence negatively impact the color of the diamond? (the stone looks like it sparkles with some yellowish light... my eyes may be deceived by my skeptical mind
3.gif
)
3) Would a very small culet effect the stone?

Thanks for your help!

sparkliest

Rough_Rock
hi again, I'd really appreciate anyone's comments on whether I should buy this diamond or not. If it's a good buy, I don't want to lose this chance. Thanks so much!!

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
We suspect that you aren't aware that the proportions of the diamond can result in a price variance up to 60% and thus nobody can tell you whether the price is "fair" or not without knowing the crown and pavilion angle measurements... Ask the seller for a Sarin / OGI proportions analysis...

The strong blue fluorescence is likely to help the diamond face up on the high side of the H color range... It will glow neon blue when exposed to black light... In fewer than 2% of all gem quality diamonds, the fluorescence "may" cause the diamond to appear milky or cloudy... Since we can't see the diamond, we can't determine this factor for you and thus recommend taking it to an independent gemologist for verification... This is true whether you are buying the diamond on-line or from a traditional Brick & Mortar retailer - just because you're standing in a store doesn't make the vendor any more reputable... Since you're not in the business of buying diamonds and thus are not likely to be an experienced grader, we recommend taking the diamond to somebody who has the experience to help ensure that you make a good purchase... Make the evaluation of an independent gemologist a "condition of sale" - a written condition of the sale that should be on your sales receipt in order to be valid... Get it in writing!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results