shape
carat
color
clarity

Need advice looking for a diamond

Papisun84

Rough_Rock
I wanted to ask for some advice on getting a ring for my wife. Let’s just say it’s being long overdue mostly my fault to get a new ring for her. My budget is not to big but I wanted to know what am I looking for when I search for a diamond? What is the specs for a round or a princess cut normally? What do I look for? I have been looking at James Allen but I see a lot of diamonds but it’s like hieroglyphics reading the specs.

mommylawyer

Brilliant_Rock
I believe there is a nice explanation by @Gypsy at post #8 in this thread regarding cut parameters. You may find the whole thread helpful in your search. Good luck!

mommylawyer

Brilliant_Rock
Tagging @mrs-b, @nala and @Garry H (Cut Nut). They are very knowledgeable about diamonds. Also, I think you might have posted your question in the wrong spot, but I don't know how to move your thread.

Papisun84

Rough_Rock
Tagging @mrs-b, @nala and @Garry H (Cut Nut). They are very knowledgeable about diamonds. Also, I think you might have posted your question in the wrong spot, but I don't know how to move your thread.

Thank you for the advice I will read her blog. This is my first time posting anything on this website. I still am trying to figure it out. Thank you again

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the advice I will read her blog. This is my first time posting anything on this website. I still am trying to figure it out. Thank you again

Just FYI
In her post, for depth she meant to say 62.4 and below (not above). I prefer 62.3 and below.

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
I believe there is a nice explanation by @Gypsy at post #8 in this thread regarding cut parameters. You may find the whole thread helpful in your search. Good luck!

@mommylawyer thanks for the link to that thread. Lots of great info there!

Papisun84

Rough_Rock
Just FYI
In her post, for depth she meant to say 62.4 and below (not above). I prefer 62.3 and below.

Ok I will look into it thanks again

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @Papisun84 - and welcome!

Let's start at the beginning, and we'll talk you through the whole process.

Firstly, what shape would you like? We would normally recommend rounds on this site, as you'll find the largest selection, they're generally the most popular shape, you can find the best upgrade policies for them, and they're the easiest to find with ideal specs. That's not to say you can't find all sorts of shapes that are beautifully cut, so let us know which way you'd like to go, and we can get busy helping you.

Secondly - what's your budget? Give us a hard number - the REAL number - and we'll start working within your parameters. Something we see here on PS endlessly is that people come on, tell us a budget, then, as the process progresses, the budget increases - or sometimes, tho not as rarely, decreases. So tell us your *real* parameters - what's the furthest you can go with this? - and we'll work to that.

Lastly - what's your time frame? From your initial post, it sounds as tho this process has been going on for a while? When would you like to lock something down by? Do you have a specific date or event in mind? Let us know.

So - let's start there: shape, budget, time frame. And get ready to enjoy this! Buying a wonderful piece of jewelry for someone you love should be fun! So let's make this painless and enjoyable. :wavey:

Papisun84

Rough_Rock
Hi @mrs-b

I was thinking of a round or princess cut. I am starting to understand a little bit with diamonds cuts and parameters. The time frame is nothing quick because I at least wanted to get it done right. The budget is about $2000-3000.

Its so easy to go to a jewelry store and pick what you want. My wife knows her stuff when it comes to any diamond information but I do not want to go to a store or ask her about it. That’s why I want to do my own research and pick my own diamond.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @Papisun84 -

Can you settle on one cut or the other? Otherwise the choices are very disparate. Max budget is 3k. Time frame is - whenever. Got it.

Let us know which shape you decide on and we'll go from there. We're going to start suggesting stones for you, so the more guidance you give us, the better.

Does 3k include the setting? And, if so, what sort of style does your wife like?

Is this the first diamond ring you've ever bought your wife? Like...is this meant to be a form of belated engagement ring? Those sorts of details are important.

Papisun84

Rough_Rock
Yes with the setting, she like a comfort fit, claw pongs, and nothing really about Baguettes (spell wrong). I would like to place a hidden diamond on the inside (if possible) for our month we got married.

I would pick round diamond

Yes this will be my first picked out diamond I have given her.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes with the setting, she like a comfort fit, claw pongs, and nothing really about Baguettes (spell wrong). I would like to place a hidden diamond on the inside (if possible) for our month we got married.

I would pick round diamond

Yes this will be my first picked out diamond I have given her.

Do you think you will ever want to upgrade to a bigger stone, or will this be her "forever' piece?

Papisun84

Rough_Rock
Eventually I would love to upgrade to a bigger stone but do not have the financials for a 2-3 Karat diamond.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Eventually I would love to upgrade to a bigger stone but do not have the financials for a 2-3 Karat diamond.

Hi @Papisun84 -

Ok. So - you need to buy from a retailer that has an upgrade policy and who sells ideal cut rounds. I would suggest my 2 standards - either White Flash or Blue Nile. I wouldn't go with James Allen as they don't post GIA certificates on their website, so, to check the stats, we'd have to contact the company directly for every stone in which you were interested.

It sounds as tho you want a simple, elegant solitaire. I would suggest WhiteFlash, as they will allow you to upgrade to a stone $1 or more+, providing you stay with their signature A Cut Above diamonds, their Premium Select range, or their Expert Selection. With Blue Nile, you need to spend double the price of your original diamond. Also, WF can hook you up with a hidden diamond inside the band, whereas BN won't do that.

So - let's take a look.....

It's easiest to decide on the setting first, as that will determine how much you have left for the diamond. For the sake of your budget, shall we assume white gold? This would be my pick on the WhiteFlash web site:

It's elegant, 6 prongs (makes the center stone look larger), the band tapers (again, makes the stone look larger), and has an elegant lift from the band to the head. It's a nicely made setting and looks classy, rather than 'as cheap as you can get it'. It will *always* look elegant and tasteful, and will never go out of style. It can also be re-set with a larger stone, if you upgrade.

So this leaves 2.5k for the center stone.

I'd suggest an H colored diamond, in the VS2/SI1 range. It will be eye clean and white, and will give you the most bang for your buck. All ACA diamonds are cut to super ideal specs, and their Expert Selection of Premium Select stones are as close as makes no difference, so you really can't go wrong, no matter which stone you choose. To that end, I'd suggest this:

It's an Expert Selection, so is a little cheaper than one from the A Cut Above range, but is eligible for all the upgrade benefits. It appears to be eye clean, it has VERY good spread - so will give you the most bang for your buck that you can manage, and it's a nice, white stone that will give you a lovely look for your budget.

By the way, rounds have more spread than princess cut diamonds, so, if you want a bigger look, you've made a good choice in deciding to go with a round diamond.

Once a diamond is recommended on this page, they tend to get snavelled quickly. So I'd suggest you lock this down IMMEDIATELY. Either buy it online now, or call WF tomorrow morning, first thing, and put it on hold. This is a lovely diamond for a very good price and you'll get top customer service and a wonderful upgrade policy. The setting is lovely (tell them you want delicate claw prongs) and get ready to wow your wife!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @Papisun84 -

Ok. So - you need to buy from a retailer that has an upgrade policy and who sells ideal cut rounds. I would suggest my 2 standards - either White Flash or Blue Nile. I wouldn't go with James Allen as they don't post GIA certificates on their website, so, to check the stats, we'd have to contact the company directly for every stone in which you were interested.

It sounds as tho you want a simple, elegant solitaire. I would suggest WhiteFlash, as they will allow you to upgrade to a stone $1 or more+, providing you stay with their signature A Cut Above diamonds, their Premium Select range, or their Expert Selection. With Blue Nile, you need to spend double the price of your original diamond. Also, WF can hook you up with a hidden diamond inside the band, whereas BN won't do that.

So - let's take a look.....

It's easiest to decide on the setting first, as that will determine how much you have left for the diamond. For the sake of your budget, shall we assume white gold? This would be my pick on the WhiteFlash web site:

It's elegant, 6 prongs (makes the center stone look larger), the band tapers (again, makes the stone look larger), and has an elegant lift from the band to the head. It's a nicely made setting and looks classy, rather than 'as cheap as you can get it'. It will *always* look elegant and tasteful, and will never go out of style. It can also be re-set with a larger stone, if you upgrade.

So this leaves 2.5k for the center stone.

I'd suggest an H colored diamond, in the VS2/SI1 range. It will be eye clean and white, and will give you the most bang for your buck. All ACA diamonds are cut to super ideal specs, and their Expert Selection of Premium Select stones are as close as makes no difference, so you really can't go wrong, no matter which stone you choose. To that end, I'd suggest this:

It's an Expert Selection, so is a little cheaper than one from the A Cut Above range, but is eligible for all the upgrade benefits. It appears to be eye clean, it has VERY good spread - so will give you the most bang for your buck that you can manage, and it's a nice, white stone that will give you a lovely look for your budget.

By the way, rounds have more spread than princess cut diamonds, so, if you want a bigger look, you've made a good choice in deciding to go with a round diamond.

Once a diamond is recommended on this page, they tend to get snavelled quickly. So I'd suggest you lock this down IMMEDIATELY. Either buy it online now, or call WF tomorrow morning, first thing, and put it on hold. This is a lovely diamond for a very good price and you'll get top customer service and a wonderful upgrade policy. The setting is lovely (tell them you want delicate claw prongs) and get ready to wow your wife!

I agree with this, except I would recommend looking at High performance diamond as well, as their upgrade policy is identical to WF. Both WF and HPD have the best upgrade policies (only need to spend $1 more), whereas BGD has a slightly more restrictive policy (you have to upgrade 2/3 of color, clarity, or carat, which can be restrictive).

Edit. Ignore what I said about BGD, since they weren't being recommended anyway. As mrsb said, you have to spend 2x with Blue Nile, which I dislike compared to WF and HPDs policies

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That Whiteflash stone is a great choice!
I agree about HPD but they only have this one is his price range, and it’s on hold.

Yes - my issues with HPD are that, for people on a budget particularly, their prices are a little higher, and their stock is, comparatively, very limited. For myself, I'd happily buy from them, but they're not the vendor I'd recommend for this precise situation. Which is not to say they're not fabulous - they are! But just not in this instance. Frankly, Blue Nile would probably give the most bang for buck, but an Expert Selection stone from WF is a GREAT option to minimize price while retaining all the WF goodies. And BN settings are, in general, not stellar. I think this WF stone is a great option for the OP's wife, and they're a great company to hook into, going forward.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations on your engagement and welcome!

Just stopping by to recommend what @mrs-b above said and the stone linked. Excellent advice!

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
Yes - my issues with HPD are that, for people on a budget particularly, their prices are a little higher, and their stock is, comparatively, very limited. For myself, I'd happily buy from them, but they're not the vendor I'd recommend for this precise situation. Which is not to say they're not fabulous - they are! But just not in this instance. Frankly, Blue Nile would probably give the most bang for buck, but an Expert Selection stone from WF is a GREAT option to minimize price while retaining all the WF goodies. And BN settings are, in general, not stellar. I think this WF stone is a great option for the OP's wife, and they're a great company to hook into, going forward.

Yes, I think the stone you found is perfect in this case and HPD does have limited stock.

However I did just buy two small CBI stones from HPD and in both cases they were similarly price to Whiteflash. One was about $100 more and the other was actually $60 less. It seems to vary on a stone to stone basis.

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
BN may be an optimal pick so that she can change/upgrade to a different shape if that is her preference.
@Papisun84 I recommend you work with her. Surprise her with the opportunity to upgrade, but let her have a say. If she knows her stuff on diamonds and jewelry, that probably means that she's excited and may be picky. Have a couple romantic evenings of going to jewelry stores or browsing online and once you've both found something you love that is symbolic, pick it out and don't let her know the amount spent on it.

Papisun84

Rough_Rock
Hello @mrs-b, @molecule, @lovedogs, thank you for all the advice and recommendations. Sorry I have been real busy at work so that is the reason I have not replied lately.

@mrs-b with that diamond you recommended what’s the difference with AGS or GIA? I am trying to understand all this better and all these terms. I looked at the diamond and it looks really gorgeous.

I like the setting and I will ask them about the claws.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results