shape
carat
color
clarity

Need advice in purchasing a round diamond for engagement ring

Wink

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I was hoping for October this year. Unfortunately, with the recent covid surge in Asia, the travel 14 day quarantine wont be lifted anytime soon. Therefore I'm not sure. when, I also live in Hawaii so shipping dates varies.

Ahh. I feel your angst. To quote the late and very great Gilda Radner, "It's always something."

I would advise you to wait until you are closer to knowing the travel dates, but my personal belief is that prices are more likely to go up than down in the near future, so I am not comfortable giving such advice.

The only advice I am comfortable adding to my post above is to be sure you have a good upgrade policy with your vendor so you can upgrade if she is not happy with your choice.

Good luck,

Wink

Petty

Rough_Rock
Ahh. I feel your angst. To quote the late and very great Gilda Radner, "It's always something."

I would advise you to wait until you are closer to knowing the travel dates, but my personal belief is that prices are more likely to go up than down in the near future, so I am not comfortable giving such advice.

The only advice I am comfortable adding to my post above is to be sure you have a good upgrade policy with your vendor so you can upgrade if she is not happy with your choice.

Good luck,

Wink

I've been researching and someone said diamond market went up 3.9% since last year. James Allen does have a minimum 50% value upgrade policy. I was also thinking of Costco but they are out of stock.

Id believe my girlfriend will be surprised with the diamond since she sees me living in a very practical lifestyle. I do worry she may not like the setting. We briefly spoke about it once and she doesn't like fancy settings and prefers platinum. I do like the Tiffany like setting, 6 prong knife edge but it does show some of the body. Therefore H or I color is my new standard.

Wink

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I've been researching and someone said diamond market went up 3.9% since last year. James Allen does have a minimum 50% value upgrade policy. I was also thinking of Costco but they are out of stock.

Id believe my girlfriend will be surprised with the diamond since she sees me living in a very practical lifestyle. I do worry she may not like the setting. We briefly spoke about it once and she doesn't like fancy settings and prefers platinum. I do like the Tiffany like setting, 6 prong knife edge but it does show some of the body. Therefore H or I color is my new standard.

Many of my clients bought inexpensive mountings to be upgraded by their fiancé after the surprise engagement. 95% of them were never allowed to upgrade due to the sentiment that immediately attached itself to the original. (I no longer offer the advice to do so...;)2)

Wink

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Another AGS 3Z...it's a J, but appears on the lighter side. Would require that bump in budget that was mentioned earlier.

May still be a bit too warm, but that's your call:

There's also this beast...videos and plot map shows that's really clean, especially under the table:

@Petty based on everything you have said with timing and logistics, I think something like this Whiteflash stone that @DejaWiz posted is your safest bet.

You know that you will be getting your girlfriend a super ideal stone. You can get a simple, elegant Tiffanyesque setting. By buying from a retailer like Whiteflash, you have an insurance policy. If for some reason the stone isn't big enough or is isn't white enough for your girlfriend, you can easily swap it for a different stone if you spend $1 more.

In fairness to Wink, this is also a gorgeous stone:

But it is a J color. And I'm not certain what the Wolf/ CBI upgrade policy is.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
@Petty based on everything you have said with timing and logistics, I think something like this Whiteflash stone that @DejaWiz posted is your safest bet.

You know that you will be getting your girlfriend a super ideal stone. You can get a simple, elegant Tiffanyesque setting. By buying from a retailer like Whiteflash, you have an insurance policy. If for some reason the stone isn't big enough or is isn't white enough for your girlfriend, you can easily swap it for a different stone if you spend $1 more.

In fairness to Wink, this is also a gorgeous stone:

But it is a J color. And I'm not certain what the Wolf/ CBI upgrade policy is.

About the same level of awesome as Whiteflash:

Screenshot_20210723-145819.png

Petty

Rough_Rock
Ask for the report on this one...it should be an AGS Triple Zero, which is attained with a bit stricter standards than GIA 3X.

Thank you DejaWiz! Ive purchased this diamond and have proposed to her. She loves it! Now I need to find insurance.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thank you DejaWiz! Ive purchased this diamond and have proposed to her. She loves it! Now I need to find insurance.

That's great - congratulations to you both! Wishing you a lifetime a happiness and success!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results